Licorice

heleng

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I'm 31 weeks pregnant and have had a thing about licorice this week (not really a craving, just fancied it I suppose). Not eaten stacks of the stuff, just a large packet of allsorts and a bag of the black soft eating licorice (yum!).

Anyway, I've now found out that you shouldn't eat licorice when pregnant as it can start premature labour. Well, that's the first I'd heard of it, and if it's so bad, why isn't it on the list of foods to avoid?!

I suppose my point is: should I be worried?? And if not, maybe it's an idea to get you going if due date has been and gone :D

Hx

Hello! My grandma craved licorice constantly with my uncle, and she did eat stacks of the stuff, in fact she told me it was all she could eat at one point :shock:

Anyway, my uncle was born fine, 9 lb something, but he was a week early. I do not think that is anything to worry about. Ive never heard of licorice starting premature labour, so do not worry :D

xxx

I dont think this is all that true I think it goes along the line of trying castor oil, pineapple etc which all can trigger bowel movements which could in turn trigger labour but I dont think that there is much truth in any of it as per my previous thread the midwife reckons the only way to start labour is sex nearer term. :D

Hello

I love licorice as well, love the thick red ones. ive heard this too but dotn think its true though ide love the thought of eating a pack to start labour lol.
I also heard licorice can cause impotence in men, so i think its just rubbish.
Well if any one knows different let us know!!!
Katrina :D

My baby was born passed 40 weeks and perfectly healthy. i ate natural licorice until the cows came home. Also read that one should avoid it, but after some research, found thay Finnish woman eat alot of it during pregnancy. The only ever unconclusive research found that woman that eat 250g of licorice a week, were more likely to give birth at 38-39 weeks. Bliss..... just didn't work for me.
Enjoy your licorice..... do a search on "panda licorice" if you want more info.
Emilia xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back