letting them play out front with other kids

Iwant3

Reaction score
how old? We live on a cul-de-sac and our house opens out onto a park to the side! Kids play out in the holidays and evenings.....what age children would you let play out without you? My daughter is 4.5 and my son is 8 he;s been playing out there for the last 2 years -but not sure if I should let my daughter! The kids play stuff like duck duck goose, hide n seek, hot chocolate etc and they're all pretty nice - we do get quite a few cars coming down at certain times, some who live here, some just to turn around etc.

It made me nervous having her out today with me standing out the front the whole time, lol.:oooo:

When I was little we lived on a busy main road and then moved to a cul-de-sac when I was 8 and my sister 6. We were both allowed to play "out the front". I probably wouldn't want to let either of my two do that until they were at least 6 or 7.

This is such a tough one, I sympathise. We also live in a cul de sac and to be honest its not the best area (although the house is nice) and some of the other kids that play out aren't who I would choose for my daughter to play with but it is what it is.

She's 6, nearly 7 now and last year was 5 and was constantly asking if she could play out the front because there were always other kids out (including some she recognised from her school who were younger) Explaining that they aren't allowed because they are too young when there is a 4 year old playing out alone is quite tricky!!! Anyway, I stuck to my guns because although she's sensible and mature for her age I didn't think she had the road sense and thought she was too young. This year though she's been allowed out (so she was 6). I was still not overly happy but thought it was unfair to hold her back when all the other kids are doing it. We set boundaries and rules i.e she can only go up to certain points on the street so isn't too close to the main road, she's not to go in this area or that area blah blah) She absolutely loves it!! She plays out from the minute she gets home until bed time (apart from dinner) most nights and during the holidays and weekends all day if she can. I have relaxed a bit more now she's been doing it for a while. I know she's conscious of cars and road safety now and she always checks with me if she wants to play in somebody's house and I keep an eye on her anyway while she is out.

Personally I think 4.5 is a little young however if she is playing with an older sibling who you trust maybe that changes things. Only you can know for your child.

To compromise with my daughter before she was allowed out by herself I would sometimes let her play out front for an hour with my supervision so she could mix with the other kids, ride her bike etc but I would do jobs like clean the windows or the car so I was out at the same time. Maybe that's an option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back