Letter of low iron

Linzie2012

Reaction score
Just got home from work & got a letter through the post of low iron & to get tablets from doctor.

Should I be worried about this? Are there risks & complications ?

I was taking pregnacare so thought I would be ok

Its pretty common, a lot of ladies have low iron levels during pregnancy, I was one of them! I wouldnt worry about it, but you will need to go and get the tablets!

The tablets might make you constipated so just maybe worth getting some lactulose!

Last edited:
Noo don't be worried about it! Mine was really low - went on iron tablets (didn't even take them as much as I should) and my levels rose a lot!! Midwife did another blood test to check it wasn't just a lucky one haha. Baby should be fine - apparently they take the iron they need and leave us low in it!

Would say if you so have side effects with tablets, there are different types so you can ask to change! 2 types I couldn't stomach and got 3rd time lucky!

I take spatone sachets as I can't tolerate anything else. My iron stores are low due to coeliac the baby will be fine just you'll be tired and other lovely side effects you'll have x

Yes I had a spa tone sample, I must collect something from mid wife tomorrow, do they give spa tone.

I just got over morning sickness, don't fancy more sickness

Happy baby will be ok though

I had these last time, just inportant to get levels over 10 i think it is before birth incase of blood loss.
You might find you get out of breath more eadily and are tired alot when anemic so the tablets will help you. I found taking them every other day rather than the recomended theee times a day was better to manage constipation, ( lovely black poos with iron!). Get some chocky alpen cereal and lactulose

Yes exactly the above, I thought it was pregnancy related. Got tablets 3 times a day, had 2 - already constipated :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back