Leep Treatment - Feel Really Let Down By System

MrsLG

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Sorry - I really need to rant and hope you don't mind if i do it here, :-( So here goes,

About 2 years ago i had an abnormal smear and a few months later I had a leep treatment (to remove abnormal cells from cervix), i then had to have a second treatment soon after because all the abnormal cells weren't removed in the first treatment (meaning more of my cervical cells had to be removed)...

Anyway - at the time the lady who did the treatment (who is lovely) said that there was an increased risk of pre-term labour associated with each treatment. At the time we didn't think we'd try for children for a while so i didn't think anything of it.....(regretting that big time now!)

At my first midwife appointment at around 8 weeks (which was in April) i told the midwife about my treatments and she wrote it down but didnt seem bothered. Then about a week ago something just went off in my head reminding me about the risk involved. So i did some googling (bad i know) and through ladies on here i established that I was supposed to get a consultant appointment to look at how much of my cervix was removed and to monitor my cervix length etc (supposed to be monitored from 16 weeks on, recommended particularly with 2 or more treatments apparently) - queue me at 17 weeks realising that i've not have any of this and that it didnt look like any of the medical people were going to mention that i should . I mentioned it again to the midwife at my 17 week appointment who said that i should maybe ask the treatment place if they thought i needed further monitoring - long story short (and sorry i know this is already long anyway) but after getting the run around for the last week the treatment centre are going to send a letter to the maternity hospital to get me a consultant appointment for cervix measuring.

I just feel so let down, :-( If i hadn't pushed for this it wouldn't have happened and apparently it might be too late to do anything now if my cervix has been affected (which means i may miscarry during this trimester *touch wood*) - am so frustrated and upset - will just have to keep my fingers crossed that my cervix is super strong and hangs on in there but my risk could've been lowered (and i could've had a lot less stress) if i had been monitored right from 12 weeks.

Sorry for going on but i just want to cry - now i have to wait till i get an appointment to check and see if my cervix is doing well or not, :-(

Sorry you have had to go through this hun, I too had ceels removed and that is recorded on my notes i believe but i didnt think it really didnt anything just maybe not carrying to full term i didnt think it ment anything too serious. Hope you hurry up and get an appoinment. Im sure your cervix its really strong hun.

Michelle. x

Really sorry that they have let you down, they should have realised before now if it was going to be a problem. Iv had cells removed as well, told the midwife at me booking appointment and she wrote it in my notes but didn't seem overly concerned, never said I would need any thing different doing, I'm at hospital for colposcopy on Thursday though so might mention it and see what they say. Fx everything will be ok with you x

Thanks ladies - sorry didn't mean to worry other people who had had treatments too - its my understanding that if you have had one treatment or more than one treatment but at different times (i.e. at later dates) that it is not considered to have that much of an affect, :) but because i had two treatments on the same part of my cervix (and therefore more cervix removed than normal) - apparently i should be monitored (as if i'd had a cone biopsy) and may have a higher risk of pre-term labour. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back