Leaving LO to go to work

Leah04x

Reaction score
I've returned to work part-time (Monday-Wednesday 10am-2pm) and have been back a week or so. I've been really lucky as my mum has offered to have Ethan so don't have the bother of finding a childminder we get on with and that Ethan is left with someone familiar.

The first few mornings were fine. Then he started to recognise the signs I was going to work - e.g my mum coming down, my uniform etc. When I leave for work now, Ethan goes into complete meltdown! Hysterically crying for anything up to an hour, throwing himself on the floor, not letting my mum hold him etc. I feel guilty leaving my baby so upset but also leaving my mum to try and calm him down.

He's a complete mummies boy at the moment and really clingy so I'm finding it hard!

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how I can make it easier for him? Or is it just something he'll get used to?

Xx

How is he after you've been gone a while hun? Does he settle with your Mum?

I bet you feel horrid but I do think it's just something he'll have to get used to?

xxxxxx

Last edited:
How is he after you've been gone a while hun? Does he settle with your Mum?

I bet you feel horrid but I do think it's just something he'll have to get used to?

xxxxxx

He settles after a while but he takes a hell of a lot of calming down! He's been like it when im home too for the past few days. If I sit him on his own with toys and walk away from him (still talking to him) he really cries. He wants to be attached to my hip 24/7 :(

Xx

my son did this for about a month and for last two weeks hes not done it at all- the trick is now to literally drop him off so he has no time to process it- my mum gets himt o do something fun as soon as hes dropped off to distract him, and at my sisters where he kept kicking off, I drop him very quick (usually coz im late) and he has been fine last few times- they just take time to adjust.

Im actually posting an article on the new gingerbread make it work blog tomorrow about returning to work which covers this lol, will link it on my parent blog (below)

the trick is now to literally drop him off so he has no time to process it- my mum gets himt o do something fun as soon as hes dropped off to distract him, and at my sisters where he kept kicking off, I drop him very quick (usually coz im late) and he has been fine last few times- they just take time to adjust.

This is exactly what we did to start with. Mum just distracted our LO while I whizzed off for work. We've not made anything of saying goodbye or anything like that and she seems fine. I'm sure he'll settle given some time.

hope its going well?
my post on returning to work went on their blog today lol and it reminded me of this post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back