Laundering baby clothes

Tiny Sue

Reaction score
Hi girls...

I know to use non-bio detergent on my baby's clothes but do you guys think I should wash them before baby wears them first or should I put them on new?

Also, is there any need to launder things like burp cloths or clothes baby sicks up on in a germicidal wash, like a boil wash or with Napisan? I want to keep baby clean, but not fanatically clean, because I think that's just as bad as being dirty, the baby will be more susceptible to germs that way.

Think I'm wrong? Advice?

Sue

Im not sure - but I want to watch this thread cos Im wondering the same things! I have lots of second hand clothes that I want to wash - but not sure about new blankets / sheets I have been given.

My pram is second-hand and Im thinking of cleaning it with Milton Sterlising fluid on the inside- does anyone know if thats the best stuff? I just thought it would be with it not being toxic?

L x

When my sister was born my Mom went to hospital early and left me to scrub out the pram which had been in the attic for 6 years, and so was quite dusty. I used washing up liquid and stuff. I think that would be the best, rather than using just Milton, as I don't think Milton lathers or anything like that?

You could always scrub away with something like washing up liquid and get it really clean, rinse and then wipe down with Milton afterward?

I washed the cover of my second hand bouncy chair with Napisan, and it seems to have done no harm. Of course, I have to do it again now because the cat got into it the other day! *scream of frustration* - moggy won't know what happened when baby is born, it's spoiled!

Sue

:lol: Reading about your cat made me smile. My dog is such a spoilt little madam - she is going to wonder whats happening when I start calling the baby "Baby Girl" cos thats what she gets called!

Good idea - I wasnt sure if you could use washing up liquid - but it sounds safe enough to me. Ive never used Milton before so had no idea what consistentcy it is when you are using it.

Thanks!

L x

I have used dettol multi-surface stuff on items like toys and the bouncy chair.

Clothes I have tried to wash before hand but a couple of times I haven't and it hasn't done any harm.. Vests which he wears under the clothes have always been washed first.

Muslins I just chuck in the normal wash....didn't even think about sterilising them to be honest... I did the same with my first child and it's been fine. If a baby is sick on it's clothes and you boil them, you'd risk shrinking them so I wouldn't worry about that either.

Yea I think urchin is right.....you cant do everything on a boil and Tiny Sue I totally agree, babies need some germs to help build up their immune system.......im sure going back to when we werre born our mothers didnt use half the stuff we get told to!. As long as the bottles/feeding equipment is sterile and everything is dust/dirt free i think itll b fine.

I just bang everything in together, it never even crossed my mind to do anything different

Hey there well i have only washed the second hand clothes i have got in fairy non-bio and all my new items i haven't bothered to wash as i see no need to.

I read somewhere you should try to wash all new clothes and sheets etc as they are normally treated with chemicals to keep them fresh in shops. I have washed everything as it gave me something to do when I started mat leave!!

i washed all the clothes before use as it helps soften them and i have been told that there can be chemicals on the clothes. I just bunged them in a 40 degree wash with a non bio and sensyive fabric conditioner. The only things i have washed different were the nappies which i washed twice before use as it helps with absorbancy, again a 40 degree waash but no fabric softener as this can reduce absorbancy.

When cleaning the hiuse apart from one occassion where i went a bit mad and bleached the doors i have just used dettol surface spray for everything. Tiny Sue, i have 3 cats and they all fell in love with baby's bouncy chair. I too kept cleaning it but since baby has come home i just think that it'll do them good to be exposed to the cats. their noses have been put well out of joint though. they don't like her cries as it wakes them up.

I've been worried about my cats I'm terrified they will jump on Rubie. Any tips on keeping them away from baby?

mine tend to run a mile when she cries but it is something i worry about too. i have to remind myself to close the bedroom door all the time. at the moment they don't seem to interested but we will be getting a net for the cot.

I've got a net on the moses basket and the cot but the cot one is a right faffing about trying to get it on and off. I'm ok with closing doors but OH other kids always forget.

Kim said:
I just bang everything in together, it never even crossed my mind to do anything different

Same as Kim. Mine, Mark's and Damien's stuff all go in together as a normal wash...it doesn't seem to affect his skin so I don't feel the need to wash his stuff specially. If he's sick on something I try to make sure it gets in the wash the same day, but everything always seems to come out okie. Maybe I'm just too lazy to do seperate washes!! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back