Later ovulation & gender

Discussion in 'Am I Pregnant?' started by louise2610, Apr 8, 2016.

1. louise2610

louise2610 Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies,

Is there any truth that if you ovulate later than usual that you're more likely to have a girl?

Thanks Lou X

2. Emily0505

Emily0505 Well-Known Member

Sex of the baby is determined by the sperm.

All eggs are an X chromosome and sperm are X or Y.

If the egg is fertilised by an X sperm you get a girl (XX) or a Y sperm you get a boy (XY).

Timing of ovulation won't make a difference although there are theories that running sex at different points throughout your cycle can result in a specific gender as apparently girl sperm can live longer.

XC

3. BadWolf

BadWolf Well-Known Member

X sperm live longer but are slower, Y sperm are faster but don't live as long. Therefore if you TTC a boy having sex when closer to ovulation is best, if you TTC a girl having sex 12-24 before ovulation is best. This is what I read about gender swaying anyway. Also positions where penetration is deeper helps to conceive a boy.

So in answer to the question 'if you ovulated later' than you thought, and had sex when you thought you ovulated the X sperms have a better chance of surviving long enough to fertilise the egg and Viola, a girl.

I don't think it's as easy as that though. :lol:

4. PeanutButter

PeanutButter Well-Known Member

I read in a book 'Taking charge of your fertility' that if you want a girl you dtd 2-4 days before you ovulate and if you want a boy you dtd ov and 1 day before. This is because the girly sprem last longer and the boy sprem die much faster.
    Obviously there is still a chance of getting either gender but your more likely to conceive what you want. Although if your trying for a girl it may take longer as your not dtd when the egg is released.
    Hope this helps :D x