Latent phase - help!!!!

Dylan

Reaction score
I'm really looking for some thoughts/advice.

I'm a first time mum and not meaning to sound neirotic or moany - I know this isn't supposed to be easy. However, for over a week now I've been having contractions that have been gradually increasing in intensity. In fact the past 4 days they've been constant and reached as little as 2 minutes apart. I haven't been able to sleep and am absolutely exhausted.

As a result my midwife led unit have been concerned about me carrying on like this. There has been marginal progress with my cervix softening and dilating slightly but that's all. They finally sent me to the hospital yesterday with a view to being induced (admittedly not what want but soooo emotionally and physically spent). When we got there the doc just said to persevere and it could even take another couple of weeks!!!!!

Apparently this is the part 'woman forget' and as long as baby's fine there is no reason to intervene.

Does this sound right? Has anyone else been through this? Is there anything I can do to help things along?

I'm 39+1 and had my show yesterday morning.

I have huni! Mine started off really strong from the start and lasted 5 days with no break. I was overdue so they just left me to do it myself, my cervix stuck at 2cm for days, and they said there was little they could do as it's up to ur cervix basically!

It was the worst part and I was so exhausted,one were every 7-10mins, lasting a minute each, from the Monday at 1 in the morning, I didn't have him til half 7 Friday evening. I can sympathise huni, it's awful. But it's just the way some people's bodies work.
The pain was so intense, one midwife suggested it was braxton hicks and I literally wanted to punch her in the face! They are nothing like braxton hicks, they were proper contractions and they flaming well hurt!

I went to the hospital every night hoping my cervix would have opened up more, the pain was so bad and so regular I thought I just had to be ready! Each time they sent me home to "wait it out" I cried so much, it's so upsetting and frustrating.

All I can say is, let them happen. There is nothing u can do, baths didn't help not did paracetamol. I used to walk for hours with my oh, day and night, just to try and get away from the house. Being trapped at home in so much pain was the worst.

Has the hospital said anything about how long they'll let u go on for? Xxxx

Last edited:
God sorry you had such an awful time but reassuring to hear I'm not alone!! Having the same problem that paracetamol and warm baths do sod all but everytime I speak to someone it's the advice they give. That and if they call them
niggles one more time... So intense and so constant.

Have been taking plenty of walks but don't like being too far from home and feel
really vulnerable on my own - every time they go up a level I'm
convinced this has to be it. OH been really supportive but off back to work for first time since thurs last week.

Midwives said that early/midweek was a fair cut off but doc basically said as long as baby's fine the cutoff would be induction at 42 weeks as with anyone else.

Good to hear you have your LO. Get to the point you forget there will actually be a baby at the end of this.

Ah I know that feeling, after being turned away by the hospital so many times I was like "well obviously I'm not going to have a baby" and I got so annoyed I just tried to carry on as if nothing was happening, but it's literally impossible. I remember trying to do a food shop in tesco and every few minutes if be leaning over the trolley in agony, and people kept rushing up to me to ask if I needed a lift to the hospital, I was like no apparently I'm not in labour! Haha must have seemed so snappy and sharp but I really was just fed up. My oh started his leave from work the night they started because we thought this must be it, by the 4th day he was like oh come on!! Haha!

I can't see how they can leave u to suffer, cuz u can't sleep, can barely eat, and by the time I got to dilating and trying to push him out, it took me 2 hours and an episiotomy because I was just too tired. Hopefully that won't happen to u but all I'd say there is try and sleep as much as u can cuz u never know when you're going to need that energy.

I spoke to my mw about this and said Im worried it will happen again, and I said if it does I won't be leavin the hospital until they use the drip on me or something to speed it up, because it's ridiculous being left in so much pain. I can honestly say the pain of the contractions started off about the same as they finished, they were so intesnse and so strong, and they dare to pass them off as niggles?! Excuse me?!!! It's so bad, they should at least offer to help u along with a pessary etc, people get induced earlier than u are now for less! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back