Latching onto bottle teat problem

Svc99

Reaction score
i have 7 an a half week old twins. They were both breastfed with formula top ups for the first 10 days but are now exclusively bottle fed. My eldest baby had trouble latching on to the breast and she seems to have the same problem with the bottle. She doesn't seem to be getting any better and I wondered if anyone else had experienced this? She won't open her mouth wide enough 90% of the time to get the teat in, it's hit and miss. She puts her tongue forward between her lips and tries to suck on the bottle as soon as it touches her lips. The health visitor said to wait until she cries and her mouth is wide open then put it in and that she'd learn what to do. This was about 4 weeks ago now and she's not really any better. It's quite annoying as anyone but myself or my husband find it really difficult to feed her.

Sounds like it could be tongue tie. Can she stick her tongue out?

Ring your hospital and ask them if they have an infant feeding coordinator that can check her for tongue tie (your HV doesn't sound knowledgeable).

In the meantime, could you try Mam teats? They are slimmer than other teats and may be easier for your baby.

She can stick her tongue out. She seems to have quite a large tongue that she's always pushing out of her mouth! I had her checked for tongue tie in hospital and took her to the doctor too and they both said she hadn't got it.
Do the Mam teats only fit Mam bottles I'm presuming? We have loads of tommee tippee bottles but they don't seem to do different shapes teats for them. Will take a look at the Mam ones. Thank you

My lo could stick his tongue out and still had tongue tie. Don't rely on a GP or midwife to check for tongue tie, they can be hard to diagnose and they're not trained enough in this area. You need to see an IBCLC to get this checked properly xx

Which bottles are you using? It may be that they don't like the bottles you are using. My LO couldn't latch to the breast because i am very flat :( i am blessed with size but not with the nipple :(

I use Tommee Tippee Closer to nature but from what i understand they have brought out a new bottle that is meant to be fabulous.

Little madam latched to them quite well, it took her a little bit to get used to them and she dribbled a lot of it out to begin with but soon got the hang of it.

From what i gathered from my midwife is that they can come and help you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back