Ladies with toddlers / small children

tiggy

Reaction score
My little one is 18 months and getting very boisterous. I can't seem to stop him from climbing all over me and throwing himself onto me and landing on my stomach. I am trying to stop him from landing on me when I know he is going to do it but sometimes he just launches himself onto me. Do you have same problems, how do you stop it?, will it harm baby? Also how do you cope having to pick your lo's up and carrying them around? We are told not to lift anything heavy however my son is heavy and I'm constantly having to lug him around xx

I'm keeping my eye on this thread as I'm currently having the same problem with my daughter who will be 1 soon.
Also, I think I'm going to have issues putting her into her cot asleep when I have a bump as her cot has been lowered and every time I put her in it my belly presses against the edge x

Tapatalking from my blackberry!

I have similar problems with my 17 month old. She's still not steady on her feet, so I'd been carrying her around - upstairs for changing and bed etc. She also kicks out sometimes when I'm changing her nappy and has caught my bump a couple of times. I'd been getting a few aches and pains around my bump and also pain in my groin. Spoke to the midwife last week and was told definitely not to lift my LO. It's a nightmare! I get hubby to bring her downstairs first thing, then I wash and change her on the floor in the dining room during the day. We've also set up our travel cot downstairs for daytime naps. I put her to bed in the travel cot at 6pm and hubby takes her upstairs to bed when he gets home at 7.

It's not ideal, but I don't want to risk hurting myself.

I worried about this when I first got pregnant, but everyone reassured me that if it's something you usually do and your body is used to then it's fine - and that before 12 weeks the baby is still below the pubic bone so if a child jumps on you they aren't actually hitting the baby as such....but it's a good idea to try to stop them doing it now so they they are used to it when you have a bump.

the real risk when lifting heavy stuff in pregnancy is not really to the baby, but to your back - as the high progesterone loosens all of your joints - so it is easier to pull muscles and hurt yourself lifting - lift from your legs, not your back. I have a friend who is 39 weeks pregnant and has a 14 month old who is a big boy and she has been lifting and lugging him about all through! And another friend carried her 2 year old around the whole time she was pregnant with her second. My son was almost 4 by the time I was pregnant with my dd, so didn't really lift him much.

Ive got a 24 month old. I pick him up as usual and yes he jumps all over me lol. I just remind him the baby is in mummy's tummy lol luckily he was walking from 12 months x

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

i havent had a problem, my DD is almost 17 months and will be 18 months when baby is born, ive continued to pickher up and carry her round etc like i normally would (she was only 9/10 months when i got pregnant so couldnt walk yet then either). she loves the baba and kisses and pokes my belly as well as giving it a smack (daddy has taught her to slap his fat belly) and she climbs all over me etc and its been fine, if its a bit sore or too much ressure i move her off but baby is well protected in there so im not worried

Yeah, I'm same. My DD is 17months, and I just tell her to be gentle with the baby, and move her off if its uncomfy.

Thankfully my DD was an early walker so don't have to do too much carrying but still gotta lift her in and out of car seat etc, and upstairs sometimes.

If its what you did pre preg than their should be no probs as your body is used to it.

H was 11 months when I got my bfp and luckily had been walking for months so that wasn't a issue but he did used to use my belly as leverage to get up which I was firm about and now he doesn't do it! I can't get him in and out of the cot tho but as its twins I have looked full term since about 20 ish weeks but hubbie has been in charge! I do carry/pick him up when necessary but he now will climb on the sofa to cuddle with me!
Xxx

I was expressly told not to lift my LO due to my previous pregnancy problems and the prospect of developing them (or others, like SPD) this time. It'd be so much easier if I could just carry on as before, but I must admit I'm feeling so much better now I'm doing barely any lifting - no stitch-like pains around bump and no horrid groin pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back