Ladies with recurrent miscarriges, help please ?

PeanutButter

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just been looking online about the different things that could be wrong etc. I noticed that lots of ladies were saying after their 3rd mc, they had almost every test to see what might be causing it, and some were even offered ivf straight away.
Which tests have you ladies had?
Because I've had 4 now, and all I've been tested for is auto immune disorders, and had 1 TV scan. My hubby hasn't had any tests, and they haven't even asked about him. When we went to my gp even she thought it was weird that he hasn't even been asked any questions or had a sperm sample. They said when I get pregnant next, cancel the appointment and go to my gp so they can book me in for a scan at 6 weeks. So no tests while I'm pregnant at all, then if i miscarry again, Id need to wait another 3 months to get an appointment. Am i just being fobbed off here? Or is this normal?
My next appointment is 10th October. What shall I ask and do i need to know, I haven't a clue. I wanna demand shit now, this is stupid. It's my life. Obviously they don't care. Xx

We have also been fobbed off a bit, they seem to like the wait and see approach. I think with us as I have two issues that increase the chance of mc (pcos and thyroid antibodies) they aren't that interested in looking further and are happy to blame those. It was mentioned that they would check some eggs and sperm for defects (both separately and together), but not yet. I could have had some more testing but instead I signed up to a recurrent mc trial (and I can't have the testing until I complete it). I thought it was probably a risk worth taking as they seemed keen to try out a theory they have and were actually interested in getting a baby at the end.

I have had various blood tests, hsg and many many ultrasounds done. There was some debate over whether I had a heart shaped uterus (which increased the chance of mc if it implants in the wrong place) and it was eventually decided that I do, but only slightly so not worth correcting. I'm pretty sure I have high NK cells as I'm a prime candidate for them, ladies with high thyroid antibodies often have high NK and I'm never ill. That was going to be our next test (I was looking into having the tests done at Coventry, phonix has quite a bit of info on this as she has had the testing done).

I think the main problem is that there are so so many different things that could go wrong or be wrong that to test everyone for everything is expensive and not always necessary. Lots of mcs seem to be down to 'bad luck' or just the wrong egg/sperm/conditions on that cycle. As far as I can work out it is amazing that anyone can get pregnant and have babies at all. I'm not sure what you should ask for next it really is a minefield. I'm surprised that they haven't seen you oh or taken any medical or family history from him, defo take him with you to the next app.

I was also told to go away, wait until pregnant next and that they would scan between 6-7 weeks. Not helpful when I've never got that far previously. The only other thing they said was if I did mc again to try to keep what comes out for analysis (nice). Even under the mc trial they don't do anything until that point, if I can get to my scan they will take bloods and check medication levels are all ok. The only other thing I was told to do was to take low dose asprin and high dose folic acid after my next bfp.

I like the trial idea, everyone I've found is you need to be in very early pregnancy :/
Atm she's told me that she thinks it is bad luck... Wow cheers doc. She has put me on high dose of folic acid tho.
I got to 8 weeks with the first, but had random bleeds through, kept going to scans, and on the last scan there was a tiny flicker, and they said it's the heart beat. I was so happy, 2 days later it was all over. What could go wrong in 2 days?! :(
Every preg has got shorter.. 8 weeks, then 6 weeks, then 5 weeks and the last one was weird, faint line on preg test for 3 days, period was 2 days late then it came :/ so 3/4 weeks. Think its strange that it's getting shorter tbh.

Hubby came with me to first appointment, was literally in there for 5 mins. Asked about previous mcs. Checked my cervix and then out, with a piece of paper to go get the auto immune blood tests done. Nothing about any illness i have, or about my periods. She didn't even suggest i lose weight, which even my gp said I should for a healthy pregnancy. (I am anyway) but didn't even say anything. She also thought my last name was my first name and kept calling it me, hubby found it hilarious lol. Blahhh

Hubby and I had to give blood samples for karotyping to check for chromosome issues. I'm being screened for clotting issues, thyroid function and antibodies, lupus, silent diabetes and I can't remember the rest! I was due to have a scan to check the health of my uterus and check for a septum etc, but I've had to cancel that now that I'm pregnant again.

My gp called and requested to see me after my third miscarriage, so that she could run some preliminary bloods ready for the Recurrent Miscarriage Clinic.

XX

Emily was that on your first appointment or?
My gp wouldn't even send me a scan even though I needed a growth scan with my second mc(was just a sacc needed to see if anything in there the second scan). I literally had to beg and tell her that I had been to a private place and she said I need another scan in a week. Ffs.
I'm moving up north at the start of next year. Hopefully find some better doctors. Ughhhh. Been in a foul mood all day after I read that stuff on google. Like it's not hard enough having mc after mc, the docs don't even give a shit about finding out why. :( xx

Last edited:
I got the same blood tests as Emily and a scan to check my ovaries and uterus. All came back clear so was told that when I got my next bfp I was to have progesterone supps to help support the pregnancy.
My baby is now just over 2 weeks old xx

Last edited:
I've been fobbed off a bit too. I had blood tests that came back normal borderline something wrong with my liver (which I've since looked up and found that that coupled with too my vit k (found in pregnancy suppliments) can cause blood clotting to be worse.) I had major problems with nearly all my organs at some point or another all down to my immune system. I partly blame my glandular fever I had as a teen. I know more about the blood clotting issues than my rmc doctor and some of the things he's told me are just untrue! And only 80% of people with the condition show up on the blood test he did on me. He has put me on high dose folic acid which is supposed to reduce mc risk by 20% after speaking privately with some other fertility doctors and explaning my past I've put myself on low dose aspirin. (Some of my family have died from blood clots I'm not risking it!)
I had an ultra sound too that was normal.
I've had so many doctors tell me my heart condition is dye to my blood I'm too scared to come off the aspirin!
They haven't checked hubby or even asked about him. Which if they had bothered they will find out that a serious genetic condition runs in his family.
But yea if I could I would seriously consider a career change into fertility issues!

Last edited:
Eryinera, I had glandular fever when I was a teenager to... got me abit worried now. I haven't been ill in like nearly 2 years though, even a cold. Although I do get water infections. (Makes me wonder if my immune system is too good?) But my throat has never been the same since, and when I do get a cold the glands in my neck swell up so bad, like balls on my neck lolol, and I can't breathe through my nose properly anymore either. Had it for three weeks, never again, wouldn't wish taht on my worst enemy lol. XD
I am on 5mg on folic acid but take 5.4 cos of preg vitamins.
I don't understand why they don't care tho, it's propels lives.

Scn, wow I didn't know you had had your baby yet. Congratulations hun! What a cutie xx

Emily was that on your firthere'or?
My gp wouldn't even send me a scan even though I needed a growth scan with my second mc(was just a sacc needed to see if anything in there the second scan). I literally had to beg and tell her that I had been to a private place and she said I need another scan in a week. Ffs.
I'm moving up north at the start of next year. Hopefully find some better doctors. Ughhhh. Been in a foul mood all day after I read that stuff on google. Like it's not hard enough having mc after mc, the docs don't even give a shit about finding out why. :( xx

When I was scanned to confirm my third mc, the sonographer said she would organise the referral to the rmc there and then. My gp called me into the surgery to also organise the referral not realising it had already been done. She then did some preliminary blood work ready for the appointment. I went to the clinic 8 weeks after my mc (standard practice for them) and we met with the consultant. She asked us lots of questions about our health, family history and my losses. Then took bloods from hubby and I and referred me for a scan. I've not heard from her since! I did call and leave a message that I was Pregnant and she's not got back to me so I'm assuming there's nothing urgentrgently wrong!

XX

Heya girls.

I've not had as many mc as you ladies, I had two in a row. When I was pregnant with my last one and mc, they didn't bother hearing me out, asking questions or doing any checks and said "we don't start investigating til after three mc" well I got the right mood then and said "so, I have to loose three babies in order for you lot to do something? Ladies will loose three babies at least before you get up off your asses and do something?" She wasn't pleased with my attitude but I didn't care and was grieving, she probably had it before.
My third pregnancy and everything seems to be fine so far. Fingers crossed.
I'm not much help to this thread but just wanted to say I admire your patience and passion. Because I was looking the will to live after my last mc xxxx

My consultant said they only start looking into it after three losses because it's quite common to lose two babies in a row. However, only one out of a hundred couples will go on to miscarry three in a row. I think Tommys is campaigning to try and get investigations started after two losses though.

XX

Wow. 1 in a 100. They should run at least some tests after a second mc tbh. They don't care though, to them it's just another person, it's our lives though :(
On the first it'll be a year from when I got my first positive test and was my due date for second mc. Think will be a tough day. I wanna cry just thinking about it. Luckily I booked it off cos I'm doing something. Don't think I'd be able to handle seeing pregnant women. Xx

I've just had midwife and she's sending me to a consultant at the hospital I originally wanted to go to. I had to wait about 8 months after my 3rd mc to get tests and he was very wishey washey with me.

I'm not much help peanut, I've lost three and had to fight to get referred, still waiting on results from smear test as apparently they wouldn't do anything until that's done first, called yesterday as it had been three weeks and the nurse said she would chase it up if I hadn't heard anything by then, called and the receptionist was so cheeky and said no nurse is on holiday and that's incorrect it's a 6 week waiting time at the moment?! and haven't heard anything at all from the recurrent MC referal yet. It's all just waiting and waiting like they literally expect you to put your life on hold. Last time I seen the gp she wanted to put me back on contraception it's an absolute joke. Not wanting to be disrespectful to the older ladies on the threads but I'm going on 28 and want to get started with my first, there's only a small window of time to actually be young enough to have babies, the doctors attitude regarding miscarriage drives me up the wall.

I had 5 miscarriages, 2nd one was my sons twin, I had one before and 3 before this pregnancy I have never been offered any testing to find out why, maybe because I actually did carry one to term but it's always broke my heart and left me wondering about my other babies, I recently moved and changed GP when I was about 9 weeks pregnant and they looked at my history and said so I assume due to your miscarriage history your previous GO started you on aspirin to try and prevent another loss, they'd don't nothing at all it was the first I'd ever heard of taking it to help prevent she suggested and early scan and baby had a strong heartbeat which was a relief I was 30 when I had my first son and I'll be 34 when this one is born

I keep hearing about asprin. I wanna take it, but I don't incase i do more damage with it. Hoping the doctors will tel, me it's ok. Glad you have your rainbows xx

Claire, it takes ages for a referral. My second appointment in in october. 3 months between each appointment to. And they do not offer anything to stop you being worried when you get pregnant again. Just a scan at 6 weeks. :( They told me if i get preg and miscarry again, keep all the tissue and bring it in, lovely. Xx

Do check about the asprin as it can do more harm that good depending on your individual circumstances. You would only need a blood test then they should be able to tell you if asprin (low dose, not what you would take for a headache) would be beneficial for you or not.

My midwife said it can't hurt. My blood test said i dont need it for one thing but im waiting on the results fir my lupus and other immune tests. But I'm taking it for my heart issues too have been since Oct I get panicy when I'm not on it even if it's phycological I'm not sure bit I can tell when I've missed a pill!

That being said you need to be comfortable with whatever decision you make. Read about it and decide what's best for you x x

Last edited:
I went to my gp the other day. (Had/having another chemical, that's 5 mcs now!) He said there's a letter from fertility consultant. It said they'll be taking more about medications at my next appointment and will discuss my test results, to me it sounds like they've found an issue?! But maybe I'm just hoping they have. Xx

That sounds hopeful (well not your chemical, I'm really sorry to hear you are having another one) but I hope that they have found something treatable that will stop this heartbreak from happening for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back