Lack of prenatal care

CrazyChic

Reaction score
Just a rant post really I've got my 23 weeks check up with my midwife Monday but its anyother telephone appointment. I'm getting a bit fed up with it. I understood before but why am I able to get a dental check up and go back to work but not see my midwife. I think its all getting a bit out of hand now!!!

Is the office actually closed to appointments? Mine offers televisits (for you know taking blood pressure, weight, heartbeat, all that over the phone I guess?) but never closed prenatal care. Hearing from other women, I guess I should count myself very lucky

Is the office actually closed to appointments? Mine offers televisits (for you know taking blood pressure, weight, heartbeat, all that over the phone I guess?) but never closed prenatal care. Hearing from other women, I guess I should count myself very lucky

No they are still seeing other patients, but when I phoned to ask if it was a telephone appointment she said yes and that the medwife isn't doing any appointments in the surgery. Get I think is ridiculous as I live in a county where were is very low even no cases of Covid xx

I feel your pain I've felt infuriated and let down by the lack of face to face care. I saw a midwife at 8 weeks then not again until this week at 28 weeks. 20 weeks of not seeing a midwife! Thankfully I am low risk and everything is fine but to me thats not the point especially as a first time mum. I also felt that it was ridiculous my husband missed both scans. I felt totally cheated. When I did see her again this week, she told me that she's retiring and moving to portugal so the rest of my apps will be with someone else anyway!

Wow I’m sorry you’ve experienced it that way! Our bookings are over the phone (followed by a 20 Minute face to face for blood test, blood pressure, bmi etc) and then we’ve been seeing women for every routine appointment face to face after that. (At the peak the 16 week appt was done via phone). So I’m unsure as to why this practice is still going on. Unless your midwife is actually shielding x

Although this is both our 2nd child its our first together. I was understanding when we were in lockdown but why am I able to cut and colour a clients hair and be impossible for me to socially distance but I can't get a check up to see if mine and my babies health is ok. If this was my second pregnancy i would be freaking out but as its my 2nd I'm feeling loads of movements etc and I don't have any worries but its not the point. What if i did...

Sorry i just feel very fed up as i know people on here have had proper check ups and ohs have been able to go to scans.

@Natalie8964 really they shouldn't of given her new patients if she wasn't going to be there.

@Princess81 i don't know of she is shielding as when were early in lockdown i rang the doctors to ask something. They said they won't sure but will ask my midwife as she was in the surgery today, so I'm guessing she isn't. I just don't understand it.

I know it’s a little late in your pregnancy, but could you call around to see if there are any other midwives in your area seeing patients? If yours is still cancelling all in-person appointments, I’d worry that you’ll have trouble seeing her when it’s time to deliver.

I know it’s a little late in your pregnancy, but could you call around to see if there are any other midwives in your area seeing patients? If yours is still cancelling all in-person appointments, I’d worry that you’ll have trouble seeing her when it’s time to deliver.

Im from the UK and it doesn't work like that over here. They only do your check ups, midwifes at the hospital delivery the babies

So the person delivering your baby is always a stranger? That seems sub-ideal. It happens in the US, but in most cases the OB/midwife delivering your baby is the same one you’ve been seeing throughout your pregnancy.

I am currently 22 weeks. I only have had appointments on the phone. They have said my 28 weeks appointment will be face to face but I can’t help in feeling I am missing about. I high risk so I also have phone appointments with a consultant.

So the person delivering your baby is always a stranger? That seems sub-ideal. It happens in the US, but in most cases the OB/midwife delivering your baby is the same one you’ve been seeing throughout your pregnancy.
Our system isn’t ideal At the moment and unfortunately, yes most women will be attended in labour by a midwife she’s never met. We are aiming to improve this with the implementation of new “continuity of carer” midwifery teams and these will be more and more common in-line with national strategic priorities.

This is baby number 3 for me.

I'm 20 weeks today and I have my 20 week scan Wednesday.

My next appointment isn't until 26th August, not seen or had any contact with anybody since my 12 week scan(but it came out I was 13 weeks) where I had my height weight etc done and all blood screenings done. Considering they have put me as consultant led now and the moms group isn't running due to covid, I've not had any interaction either :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back