Lack of maternity shops? University Projects Views needed.

queensstudent

Reaction score
Hi. I am currently studying a business degree at university and one our projects is coming up with a business idea. My group has noticed that there is a lack of maternity stores and are deciding to make our business idea of one shop with all ranges of maternity clothes, such as work wear, formal wear, wedding wear, bed wear.. etc. ( keep in mind we are only doing this as a project and not actually opening the shop). We also are planning on stocking books, vitamins and also have in-store advice available from our staff on pregnancy, Basically we want some views on the lack of maternity stores in the UK and Northern Ireland to back up our work. It would really help us with our presentation to get some good views.
many thanks

Yes yes yes! Even though I am not really showing, I bought a pair of normal jeans a size up and felt frumpy, bought maternity jeans in my size and it felt amazing felt normal but still comfortable. So, I want more, can I find them? No.
Totally agree, not enough option, places for maternity stuff! Couldn't believe it!
The only things I found was about 10 items in the back of new look! Ok you can buy online but you need to try stuff on! And would be great if it all wasn't so expensive too, trying to save for the baby lol.
You guys should open the shop, id go!

And plus sized stuff too - I've never seen any in shops at all x

It's so hard to find petite maternity wear!! I have difficulty finding clothes that fit when I'm not pregnant but it's so hard to find anything when pregnant. It's mainly trousers I struggle with. Most places have also stopped stocking mat wear instore and say it's only available online! No good if you need something quickly. I also find places like Mothercare and Mamas and Papas on the expensive side, not willing to pay stupid prices for something I'll wear for a few months!

Exactly what she said ^^^^ - women of all sizes get pregnant - yet its really really hard to get petite or plus size stuff.

xxx

It's rubbish for us tall people too! I wear a 36 inch inside leg and the only pair of long enough work trousers I've found so far are £69 online, not sure what I'm going to do, I can't believe no one has exploited this market yet!

It's absolutely rediculous ! I live in Newport, a 'city' , where there are so many pregnant women that my 12 week scan is at 15 weeks, but no maternity sections in any shops! I am not joking I looked everywhere! Only place was next outlet that had one rail! Grrrrrrrrr

Need reasonable priced mat wear, places like mentioned above (mothercare etc) are a total rip off, and when ur pregnant u try save money for baby, not splash out on clothes ur only going to wear during pregnancy.

I agree - definitely a big gap in the market, only said it to my husband just before Christmas when I was struggling to find anything to wear. I don't want to order on line as I like to try things on before I buy!

shops turn out whatever spins money...if you young and skinny they welcome you thu the door, if you fat and pregnant like me they order security guards to push me out (just kiding about the security) my friend on FB told me about mojo maternity who do 18-30 and deliver to your door. thankfully someone has filled this gap for decenct and affordable plus size maternity wear!!! thank you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Your business idea sounds amazing! I am 20 weeks pregnant and need clothes for casual, work and also a wedding that I am going to. I live near Newcastle and the metro centre (2 very large shopping areas!) and have only been able to fin maternity clothes in h and m children's store(?) and one section of red herring in debenhams. All other maternity clothes are available from other stores but only online. Very frustrating!

My body image at the moment is very up and down, I'm proud of my bump but also want clothes that look flattering, this is hard enough to fin before pregnancy, so add in those extra pounds and th hormones, and then only allow me to order them to try on at home - when actually the items turn up and look different or different mayor risk to the pics online (if I can catch the delivery cos I work full time) is not helpful at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back