Lack of info on newborn combination feeding

lauramumof2

Reaction score
Im so annoyed when I read the posts on combination feeding. I didnt know at the time that you could do that. I was given the impression it was one or the other but not both. I never felt guilty about giving up the breast but would have liked to have known the option to do both was there. What lucy was saying she does with giving a bottle of formula sounds good and I think I could have got away with 2 formula bottles a day and breast the rest but oh no the midwifes didnt mention that did they. :x

rant, rant rant....

Hi Laura

To be honest it wasn't the midwife that told me about it, it was this forum! Can't remember who in particular but I read of someone doing this and thought it would help us. However then when I wanted to check which formula we should use I asked the midwife and then she said if it made me happy to give her a formula in the evening then it'll be good for Olivia and us as a family.

However, I don't think I'll be able to do it long term as don't I need the baby to suckle on my breast to make my boobs produce the milk Olivia needs? I think my milk will dry up/not be adequate enough for her in weeks to come.

Lucy

I have been using formula in the evening since Seren was born, it was a midwife in the hospital (the same angel who suggested nipple shields) as I had not heard of it before then. Lucy, for the last couple of days I have been able to feed Seren breastmilk only so don't worry too much. She is 8 weeks old so was able to mix feed for that long. I think that it was a combination of things, both me and her got the hang of this breastfeeding lark and I was able to let her suckle more, plus she sleeps longer at night so I have been able to express a pathetic amount which I use as a top up. Just keep letting Olivia feed when she wants and you will be ok, perhaps let her have some boobie before the bottle, or express when she is being fed the bottle. PM me if you have any questions x

Thanks girls,
Its good to know that other folks are in the same boat, its one of 2 things thats worrying me about baby2. The other is the birth but I will post about that later when Jess is in bed.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back