Labour

bbee

Reaction score
Hi ladies! I'm coming up to 18 weeks and I'm starting to get really scared for labour! I know I've still got a long way to go but I can't stop thinking about it!!

I was just flicking through the channels on telly and it was all late night crap, and I came across this programme where women don't know they're pregnant and they suddenly just go into labour! And they're like 'it was the worse pain ever. It was so severe I was sure is was going to die' ... This has freaked me out!!! Ladies, is it that bad?! Just be honest so I can prepare myself lol! Is it the worse pain ever? What is the pain like? Is it like really bad period pains? Is it sharp pains? I'm so scared now!!

Xxx

:) I understand your worries. I am pregnant too. It couldn't be that bad. Women who have delivered are still alive around us. Look at our moms! Active and happy as ever even after 2 - 3 deliveries. So just relax and wait for your little beautiful winter peanut :) Hugs!

Thank you! yeah I suppose lol! I'm such a wuss, I'm so bad with pain! Hopefully my labour will be quick! :p xxx

I think the experience varies a lot. It is painful but for me it was not the worst pain ever. For one thing you are not in constant pain, you get a break between contractios. And although there is a lot of pain there is also a lot of excitement and exhilaration. Labour was actually a good experience for me, I'd do it again tomorrow. I found moving around, walking and being in the position I wanted made me feel more in control. Being on my back was much more painful and made me panicky. I think going into labour without knowing you were pregnant would be much worse because you would be scared and not know what was going on. I didnt opt for drugs but if that is what you would rather lots of women find them very effective too.

I can imagine if you dient Know your pregnant it would feel like your dying but its managable pain. It's not like that awful pain when you stubb your toe or break an arm each pain brings you one step closer to holding baby. Its also not constant it does stop if only for a few seconds I had gas and air with my first and nothing really with my second. I found I got bad and started saying that I couldn't cope near pushing stage think they call it transition or something that only lasted a few min tho.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Every labour is different. I had quite a tough traumatic labour and found it to be very painful! Sorry if that's hard to hear, but there is no point in sugar coating it.

If you feel brave enough, read through the birth stories - there is really varied selection of experiences in there.

If labour was THAT bad, millions of women wouldn't go through it more than once! I'd definitely do it again, despite my experience.

Try not to worry and enjoy your pregnancy - it goes so quickly! xxx

Unfortunately some women do have hard birth experiences and I think it's important not to made to feel like its your fault for not doing it right or something, anyone could have a bad labour. I think though we hear more about the labours that went badly so it can give you the wrong idea of what to expect.

Most women do have a time when they dont think they can cope around the time of transition. MW actually look out for it as a sighn that pushing is close. Knowing you are likely to feel like that can lessen the feeling of panic.

Last edited:
Like the others have said labour is different for everyone, but like you I was very scared I wouldn't be able to cope, especially as I wanted to try and cope without heavy pain relief. I spoke with my mum and she was very honest and said, yes it hurts but you will cope and she was right. I made sure I moved a lot in labour and tried not to fight the pain or panic and you will cope. I just kept imagining my baby boy and was saying to him in my head 'you do what you need to do and I'll do what I need to do' it was like we were working together :) In the end I had an amazing experience and only had 2 paracetamol. Also the feeling after is incredible, you literally feel like superwoman xxx

Hi ladies! I'm coming up to 18 weeks and I'm starting to get really scared for labour! I know I've still got a long way to go but I can't stop thinking about it!!

I was just flicking through the channels on telly and it was all late night crap, and I came across this programme where women don't know they're pregnant and they suddenly just go into labour! And they're like 'it was the worse pain ever. It was so severe I was sure is was going to die' ... This has freaked me out!!! Ladies, is it that bad?! Just be honest so I can prepare myself lol! Is it the worse pain ever? What is the pain like? Is it like really bad period pains? Is it sharp pains? I'm so scared now!!

Xxx

Remember tv programs are there to get viewers...if they showed boring painless straight forward labours it wouldn't make good tv.

I had an amazing labour, it was more knackering than painful. I do suffer from some horrendously painful periods so not sure if that had a part. Cos most of my contractions felt no worse than my worst period pains, and given the gas and air on top it was more than manageable for me.

Can highly recommend reading a hypnobirthing book. It helped me believe I could do this.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

I found it extremely painful. Due to back to back position I'd been in pain for 5 days prior to labour. The back pain also persisted throughout labour so although the pain level dipped between contractions it did not lessen that much. I had an epidural and it was the first time in nearly a week that I had felt comfortable!

If you're worried about pain there is always an epidural??

You'll be fine.

Aw, try not to worry too much, sweetie. You might find that it's much better than you imagine. There are a lot of stories about bad labours, but not many about good ones. I had a wonderful birth at home when I had my daughter, Tilly. It wasn't that bad - hurt like hell, but I just kept telling myself that I could get through it and the pain wouldn't kill me. It wasn't the worst pain ever. For me it just felt like I really REALLY needed to poo. Giving birth was like having the biggest poo of my life. The bit where the head comes out stings a bit, but honestly, by that stage you'll not care too much. You'll be absolutely fine, hun. x

I had the labour of hell (thinking back compared with the horrid pregnancy i had it was even easy peasy haha) the very moment she was born all the pain ever went away and I couldn't care less as I was too busy and too happy everything was over (I didn't get the instant love either but that's a different story)
I was up on my feet immediately after that and eating Chinese in a restaurant with my newborn in toe the next day...

The last 1 h of my labour can only be described as a scene out of purgatory BUT I kept telling myself soon it will be over and I would do it all again 1 zillion times for her.

The whole thing is very painful but by the time you get to the very painful bit you don't care anymore i can assure you about that, you just want it done and over.

Was it the most painful thing of my hole life until now??? Most definitely it was BUT it was also my biggest accomplishment so thinking of my girl now I would say that I could take that pain and even more to get her here.

I was offered counseling etc never needed it, out bodies and our minds are amazing. We are designed to give birth and to recover from it :)

Not every case is a horror scenario just the straight forward labors just are not so often discussed :)

I was scared, I thought my pain threshold was so low as it could be that I wasn't going to survive labour!
ke
I managed to deny being in labour until I was 4CMS gone! it took me 5 hours to get to 5cms and I wanted to homebirth.. Gas and air made me gasp for more air and I ended up wanting to go to hospital in case it was going to take forever and at some point the pain would become to intense for me to cope. In hospital they offered me diamorphine and I refused. I was shit scared to have assistance with the delivery or had to have hormone drip. I effin had it all, my natural hormones and the entonox via mask has got me through it! I ended up with diamorphine antd spinal block for my stiches but lol I'd give birth over and over again! Made me realize I'm hardcore and which I'll try n remember next time i'm going dentist! I'm convinced that giving birth on entonox only has helped I literally couldn't remember the pain couple of days after as vivid as you do but even at the pushing stage I joked never again was exaggerated :p I found being pregnant, being sick all the time,feeling awkward and shattered far more uncomfortable :p

Don't get wound up by horror stories, I had an 'intense' horror birth cut 3rd tear baby pulled out by forcepsr , needle in my spine after the whole show's effin finished!! and a bloody catheter! labour that lasted 2 days in total and I thought hmm this ain't that bad what was I worried about!
You'll be fine!! xx

I was really scared, but when in labour I remember thinking "this isn't as bad as people make out". I didn't have an epidural, and as my baby was back to back, I found it easier to be able to get up and move about. It's more of an ache than a pain. Then when pushing, it's actually a relief to push over having the ache.

I had c-section with second child, and now on baby number 3. And the thing I am most anxious about is the needles.

You will do fine x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back