Labour Worries - Can you recommend a good labour/birth book please?

Marli

Reaction score
Hi

I’m almost 23 weeks pregnant with my first baby. As each day passes, I’m finding myself starting to worry about going into labour and just the whole giving birth thing. I really don’t know what to expect and am anxious about how I’m going to manage the pain. I’d love to buy a book that covers everything I need to know but after searching, I don’t know which one to go for. I like the look of Ina May’s Guide To Childbirth, and Clemmie Hooper’s How to Grow a Baby and Push it Out. If anyone has read any of these books, I’d love to hear your thoughts on them. Recommendations for any other books are welcome!

Thank you

Ina May’s book is quite hippy-ish if you know what I mean. She works on a place she calls the farm, where they do absolutely no intervention at all (I think they have a 0.7% caesarean rate or something insanely low). It’s been a while since I read it, but I seem to remember it having an awful lot of photos and a chapter dedicated to all the different terms women use to talk about their vagina (the one that sticks in my mind is beef curtains....)

What I’m trying to say is that it’s quite an acquired taste :lol: although I did find it interesting.

Have you looked into hypnobirthing? I think that’s really good to read/ do a course based on what you’re talking about.

I also really enjoyed reading a midwifes story

Ina May’s book is quite hippy-ish if you know what I mean. She works on a place she calls the farm, where they do absolutely no intervention at all (I think they have a 0.7% caesarean rate or something insanely low). It’s been a while since I read it, but I seem to remember it having an awful lot of photos and a chapter dedicated to all the different terms women use to talk about their vagina (the one that sticks in my mind is beef curtains....)

What I’m trying to say is that it’s quite an acquired taste :lol: although I did find it interesting.

Have you looked into hypnobirthing? I think that’s really good to read/ do a course based on what you’re talking about.

I also really enjoyed reading a midwifes story

Hi there and thanks for your reply!

Based on what you’ve told me about Ina May’s book, I think I might give that one a miss. I’d probably have a good laugh reading all the different terms for vagina though lol. I will definitely look into hypnobirthing. I’m very open minded and willing to try anything that will help me through the labour and birth. I came across a book earlier called The Positive Birth Book by Milli Hill and I think I’ll give it a read. Thanks again for taking the time to reply x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back