Labour when you have children already

First Baby White

Reaction score
For Those with more than 1 child what did you do when you went into labour with them.

When I had my second child Noah it was easy as Monday to Friday my eldest child Harry was at school and when he wasn't at school he was able to go to his dad's as they have different dad and he could have him any other time.

This time we have Noah to and he is only in nursery Monday- Wednesday, our families work Monday to Friday, none of them have ever babysat before and Noah has never stayed overnight anywhere. The only person who would probably offer to have him is my OH sister who lives an hour away and again works Monday to Friday.

I am scared to death I will be having this baby on my own x

Is there no way he could stay with his brother at his dad's? I know that's not ideal but atleast he would be with his brother as comfort?

I don't think Harry's dad would have him as they don't really know each other which is a shame. He's just not used to other people and we don't have a great social network to ask for help x

My mum is going to take our toddler. She has already warned her work that she might have to leave suddenly and take a few days off without notice. She lives a good hour away from the hospital though (in clear traffic - longer if she's at work when we call!) and I laboured fast last time so I am also worried that I might end up having to go into the labour ward by myself while OH waits for her. Am hoping I will go into labour when she is at nursery so it won't be an issue, but that's only 2 days a week so unlikely.

Hopefully it will only be for a few hours. My daughter loves my mum but they haven't spent much time together alone and she's never slept away from us, so not sure how they will cope if she has to stay with her for a while if I'm kept in again. Going to ask my mum to do a few practice afternoons over the next few months and just have to keep our fingers crossed!

I am having my second, and luckily my mum is 2 minute drive from my house and her dad also lives in the same area so she will have plenty of places to go when I go into labour! knowing my luck I will go into labour on a day when everyone is working or something haha

Have you considered a home birth? Or could you have your sister in law on standby and have a babysitter on call who can sit with Noah for an hour or so until she arrives?

My mum has booked 2 weeks off work around my due date. If I don't give birth in that time then she said she'll just take unpaid leave. Her work are being really good about it. However, we are thinking of a backup plan just in case.

Maybe you could ask your close friends and family if any of them would be willing and able to look after your son(s). Some may be able to take emergency leave if necessary. If/when you gind someone who can help, spend some time with them and allow your son to become more familiar with them.
When the time comes, even if you have to call on someone who your son isn't familiar with, if his older brother is around, he should be fine :)

I was worried about this. I had my husband's sister spend loads of time with her before the birth so she would be used to it and then my husband came home at night for beditime.

We have spoken to our 4 yr old daughter's granda and he is going to be on call for nursery pick up in case I have to go to hospital within those hours. He's meeting the nursery teacher today so as she's aware of who he is. Then my daughter's aunt will pick her up from granda after she finishes work, if needed, in case my daughter has to stay overnight.

If I have to go into hospital through the night or evening time then one of my daughter's aunts will be on standby to come to my house and stay while my daughter sleeps. If daughter is awake then the plan is to drop her off at one of the aunt's houses. The granda and aunts all live less than 5 minutes away from each other so that helps greatly.

The relatives involved are all on my OHs side of the family and seriously I'd be so lost without them as I couldn't rely on my family for anything unfortunately. They don't even offer any help, whereas OHs family would do anything at a drop of a hat and are always offering help and nothing is too much trouble. x

When I was due our son was 19 months and at nursery Tuesday's and Thursday's. We don't have any family where we live so from 39 weeks my mum and dad came down to stay. I took them with my to nursery pick up and told the staff they'd be collecting him if I went into labour on those days.

As it happens I went over due and had to be induced so I could have just waited for my induction date and got them to come down then! Never mind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back