Labour wear

Copterpops

Reaction score
What are/did people wear for labour? I never really thought about it until a friend mentioned it. I figure now I will need something long enough to cover my modesty, bug has easy access for skin to skin and breast feeding...

I'm so confused.

I wore a nightie. If you want skin to skin contact then the midwifes would place baby between you and what you are wearing X

I packed a nighty, but never wore it. By the end I was naked! It was too hot, even though it was snowing outside.

With my first I went out and bought a lovely nighty and ended up not even wearing it. This time Im bringing an oversized T-shirt that I sometimes wear in bed. It will cover my modesty but if it gets stained I won't mind binning it :)

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

I wore a nightie with my 1st 4 babies and just a longish tshirt this time. I was past caring about ppl seeing my naked bottom half by the time I put it on and it was soft and stretchy for skin to skin xx

I've got the same nightie ready that I was wearing when I had my son actually! It's basically just a massive tshirt type shape, it's about 2-3 sizes too big, which means it never got in the way, and it's quite short but enough - if that makes sense! Loads of room for baby to come under after for skin to skin, too. I don't think I'd have minded being totally naked though - I was in the pool it's just when I got out. Think they might have dressed me to keep me warm when wet :lol:

I have never managed to put on what I have bought in for labour! Always ended up with just the t shirt I was wearing plus a sheet around my bottom half. Mw was still able to put baby under my top for skin to skin though xx

I couldn't stand having any clothes on last time so did the whole thing totally nude

I've bought a nightshirt with buttons I can open for skin to skin xx

I wore a sports bra. Was too hot for anything else, and didn't care what was on show to be honest.

Nightie with buttons I'd say..... I was in pj joggers until they wanted to break my waters and switched into a nightie. It was pulled up to my waste the whole though as the belt trace was on me and they kept needing to check down there. They put a sheet over your knees though to protect modesty.... I didn't have buttons and so they struggled to pull it up higher during skin to skin so buttons would be ideal next time for me xx

I have nighties but they are a little tight now lol so not sure if baby will fit under. I do have a pj top that I could wear if they need to monitor baby. I do get very hot though so I could end up in just a bra.

I wore a maternity strappy top for the pool and a shirt nightie with buttons all the way down for if I had to get out. As it turned out I had no time to get changed after I got dragged out the pool due to possible reduced heart rate of baby as he arrived soon after but I did change into the nightie for skin to skin as they wanted me wearing something dry.

I plan on getting a front buttoned nightdress although in all honesty if I get hot & sweaty it will come off! I have a few baggy night tops/nightdresses that I live in at the moment from primark.

Thanks ladies. I am finding it more difficult cause I gave a bit if an issue with sleeves. I have an old vest top, that will have to do. It's long enough I can pull it down if need be, and low enough to get good skin to skin.

I've purchased 2 really cheap oversized men's t-shirts that I won't mind binning. Also taking a sports crop top if I find I don't want that much on.

I will be buying some cheap cami dress style vest tops for labour, they are long enough to cover modesty, and there will be enough space for bean to have skin to skin after he is born, as they will be cheap, I won't care about throwing them! I know they have them for sale in primani, although will have some cheap shorts to begin with before the second stage (again primani!) I am getting so excited and I have 11 weeks to go! X

I had a nightie first time round but it ended up at my neck for skin to skin so the tatas were out.

Next time I'm packing an oversized shirt nightie for button access, long cami and sports bra with bikini shorts in case I want a water birth.

If your wanting a long sleeveless vest primark are doing the stretchy cami which is plain black or white and are usually quite low cut but also stretchy enough to roll or pull down for skin or to slip baby under. Thats what I'll have. Its basically a super long string vest top.

Or they have the plain maxi dresses which are thicker straps and stretchy, light and fitted so not like a big flowy one. I wore one to a party and jazzed it up and actually thought it be perfect for labour.

Obviously all only a couple quid and so no need to worry about stains just bin them.

xxxx

Last edited:
My mum bought me another oversized nightie from primark yesterday for £7. It's very Bing and baggy and it will be super comfy when in labour I imagine. It's got a couple buttons but if they're not good enough to to undo baby will easy go underneath for skin to skin & it doesn't matter that it'll get messy as it's purely for labour.

I got some big one with the buttons from primary but iv grown into them lol. I went today and brought a cami style one and a pj set as I want to be comfortable and it's so hot in there. Baby might not be able to fit under the big nightie so if I give birth on a bed il wear the cami style one x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back