labour bag?

rach

Reaction score
when should you have packed your labour bag ready keep thinking about it and have odd items in there but not really done much else was just wondering when everyone else did theirs or will be doing theirs???
dont want to risk having baby early and not being ready also dont want to be too premature with it as will only have to keep redoing it to keep it nice and fresh hmmmmmmmm :think:

I packed mine at 36 weeks and was dead on time but at least on D day i had no worries everything was done :)

iv packed mine.... i aint getin caught out again. last time my waters broke at 34wks, popped to the hospital 2 c if it was my waters n was told i cudntt go home nxt day i had dior, i sent kris home 2get me a nightshirt some rumper suits he came bk with his dirty tshirt out the dirt washin basket smelly with food on it. and size 6-9month rumper suits for our 5lb baby... i was in hospital feelin manky n smelly... this time my bag is ready ..... brand new nightshirt size 22-24 to deliver in, n 2 new pairs ov pjs for after. 10 pairs ov huge white knjckers. only 75p for 2 pairs from tescos not very attractive but il just frow em away once worn in hospital.....

I had mine packed about 33 weeks. Think its good to be ready, not just for early labour but incase you need to stay in hospital for any other reason like your blood pressure. I had a stay in hospital at 32 weeks and it would of been a lot easier if i already had a bag ready for myself.

rach I was wondering this too :think:

dionne - is that all that I will need to pack, what you mentioned? I really don't have a clue!!! I have only bought a pack of disposable breast pads so far!! Have you got a huge nightshirt for comfort? and will I need one with buttons at the front if planning on breast feeding or should I have changed into a new one for that, oh god I am clueless!!!!!!!!

Xxx

lindsay even though ive had a baby before im clueless too hun so dont worry :D cant remember from first what i did lol xxx
well so far have made a list of what i need lol and got 3 small bags but not actually packed them yet think il wait another couple of weeks
am taking
bag 1 - labour for me
bag 2 - coming home bag for me and baby
bag 3 - in case me and baby have to stay in hospital for any length of time
that way i wont have to have everything to dig through while im in labour and bag 2 and 3 can stay in my sisters car until needed as she is coming with me when in labour i dont trust o/h not to do a runner when going gets tough lol thought id get my sister there as well in case :?

lindsay best thing to do about nighties is get either a giant cheap t shirt or nightie to give birth in (one you wont mind throwing away) and then get some front opening ones for after when your all cleaned up xxxx

i packed and un packed for nearly 10 weeks lol mum kept saying id forget something lol
so wen i was in labour mum spent half an hour properly doing my bag lol
BRAYDONS was ready tho lol

I keep saying this and you are all going to think I am obsessed with jaffa cakes ( :shock: ) but pack a couple of packets. They are great for labour, I scoffed loads, and they give you energy. Also your OH can steal them like mine did :evil: , and you have to take another pack in for the midwives. :D Lipbalm also essential, the gas and air can make your lips really dry and I suffered for ages.

thats good advice beanie hun when i had my son 12 years ago i wasnt allowed to eat or drink anything while in labour :evil: only sips of water
was in labour for 37 hours and they wonder why ppl find it so difficult to cope :shock: after 37 hours of being starved and practically dehydrated plus the lack of sleep i hardly had any energy left to push :( think its a good thing that attitudes have now changed apparently it used to be like this in case you had to have a general for a c section but most women if need a section have a spinal or epidural and eating and drinking does not affect this at all will def pack some jaffas and some drinks this time round :D xxxxxx

I asked about eating and what if I needed a general 9always looking on the bright side hey...) and my midwife said that not to worry as they fit something that means if you are sick it can't go down your windpipe. After not eating for a day and a half I was starving after the pethadine. Scoffed loads, and they tasted so good.

hi lindsey. the bag i have packed so far is my labour bag so i got a huge nightshirt only 2.50 from matalan yh i got a big one for comfort.. and a pair ov pjs to change into after the birth for when ppl will be wantin to come c me and baby.. and some thing for baby to wear. hat vest rumper suit nappies baby wipes. and camra as we 4got it last time.... then il av a bag at home ready for kris to bring up to me after the birth with my make up gud support bra sanitry towels tooth brush soap hair brush.. and clothes for when im coming home.... kris got me some munchies for when i was in labour last time as i hadnt eaten in about 15hrs but midwife sed i cudnt eat.....

I think around 34weeks is a good time to start getting properly organised with things like labour bag and post baby stuff etc.

I packed mine at about 38weeks but had all the bits in the house before that.

Don't feel you need to pack loads though. I didn't even open mine until I was up on the post natal ward and all I used from it was snacks and drinks, nighties, maternity pads and underwear and my coming home clothes and of course all the things I packed for baby. I stayed in 1 night.

I live 2mins from the hospital though so OH could have gone home and got me anything I wanted. If you live a fair way from the hospital then it's probably a good idea to 'overpack' just in case. :lol:

Following a pre-eclampsia scare a couple of weeks ago I made sure we have all the bags packed and even took my suitcase to the follow-up hospital appointments and left it in the car just in case I was admitted.
I made the following lists (probably over the top but I was bored:

For Hospital Stay:
 2 x pyjama’s
 Bathrobe
 Socks and slippers
 Toiletry Bag:
Toothbrush/toothpaste/shampoo/conditioner/hairbrush/body
wash/deodorant/moisturiser/lip balm/body spray/wet wipes
(feminine)
 Bath towel & Hand Towel
 Nappy/carrier bags for dirty clothes/underwear
 Coins for the phone
 Pen & notebook (just in case I need DH to bring anything in)
 Magazines/Books
 Mobile Phone

For Baby:
 Disposable nappies (Pampers Newborn x 1 pack)
 Sleepsuits x 4
 Bodysuits x 4
 Pack Baby Wipes (large pack so I could use some myself)
 Cotton wool
 Hat (x 2)
 Scratch mitts (x 2 pairs)
 Blanket
 Towel
 Disinfectant Wipes

What to take for Birth:
 Nursing Bra and breast pads (Feeding Bra/disposable
breast pads/Nipple cream)
 Disposable underwear & maternity knickers
 Top to wear if using bath/birth pool (Vest top or t-shirt)
 Nightshirt or borrow hospital gown for birth
 Sanitary towels (2 packs Kotex Night time)
 Towel (Dark colour)
 Tens machine?
 Camera
 Snacks: Boiled & glucose sweets/Lidl fruit juice cartons
 For DH- sandwiches/bottled pop/snacks

For Discharge (prepare ready & leave in car boot):
 Maternity Jeans/T-Shirt/Jacket
 Clean underwear (Maternity bra/pants)
 Car Seat - already in car
 Baby going home outfit (Snowsuit/baby gro/hat/mittens)
 Blanket for car seat
 Carrier bags for gifts

is any one looking forward to their hospital stay??? i really am.. when i had dior i was in a rush to get home kept askin if i could go i ended up stayin 2 nights but by the time i got home wish i hadnt i had washing house wrk cooking pay bills and every day things to do.. in hospital its just u and baby and a bed... lots of relaxing and bonding time...

if i ask to stay abit longer mayb 3nights think they wud let me lol? i just no il find it hard goin home with a one yr old crawling and into every thing...

wen i had dior there was a lady opposit me (sum syco wierdo woman that stalked me) but she was staying a week as she told the midwifes she wanted time to relax after her sticths after a normal delivery..

Thanks all for your replies, at least I know what to buy now!! I am going to Tesco shortly so will have a look at their big knickers, lol!!!!

I have been told that I should expect to be home possibly on the same day, depending what time I give birth unless I am planning on breastfeeding and then they may keep me in until they are sure that the baby has latched on. I would like to stay in for longer than a night really!

Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back