Labial tear - how long to heal?

maybebaby

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this, sorry if tmi...

I got a quite bad labial tear because Austin came so quickly. The midwife said they couldn't stitch it and it would just heal up on its own. She seemed to think it would be better within a couple of days. It's now been a week and it's not got any better at all. I'm still really sore, it stings like hell when I pee and I can hardly sit down without having to move every 5 minutes. I'm bathing twice a day in water with a cup of salt in to try to help. (Quite dilute so doesn't really hurt when I'm in the bath).

Can anyone else who has had a similar tear advise on whether this is normal, and how long it's likely to take to heal up/stop hurting? I don't want to bother the midwife if it's normal but I'm still in so much pain.

my labia fell off and was stitched back on so it was quite bad :lol:

after about a week it had stopped bothering me so much, by two i was ok. have you had a look yet? does it look infected if your not sure then i would get the midwife to just check it over. i did just to put my mind at rest. its probably worse cos they havent stitched it its more exposed to the elements :lol:

Mine took about 3 weeks to heal (I was stitched though) - but I was paranoid about it for longer...
I think I wasn't really expecting to tear there but because of the blood supply it healed well in the end.

(ask your midwife to check - I had a v. glamorous pose on the sofa legs akimbo while she had a poke around!! They don't mind and better safe than sorry)

i was cut and had to be stitched and mine took about 4 weeks to get back to normal completely :)

on my last day of havin a midwife before i was signed over to my hv she checked my stitches at my six week check they didn't check i think thats cos my doctor was a man and he didn't wanna ask not that i would have let him look anyways :oops: :oops:

I only had a small tear and if I recall correctly it healed up really quickly, I hardly had any pain at all - a little stinging. By what you have said i would definately have this checked out as it shouldn't be taking this long and if it's still that painful now then maybe it should have been stitched up. As I mentioned my tear was small but the MW strongly suggested I had it stitched up - personally I HATE needles so wasn't too keen but after having given birth I thought what the hay it's not like that's gonna hurt any more then what I have already just gone through!

nathanmum said:
my labia fell off and was stitched back on so it was quite bad :lol:

after about a week it had stopped bothering me so much, by two i was ok. have you had a look yet? does it look infected if your not sure then i would get the midwife to just check it over. i did just to put my mind at rest. its probably worse cos they havent stitched it its more exposed to the elements :lol:

Ow that must have bloody hurt !!!!

maybebaby - I had a small internal tear with no stitching and that hurt for about 4 or 5 weeks but it is fine now.

And I'm considering getting pregnant again..!! :shock:

its better to be torn then tear... most midwives will cut you if they think you wil tear as its easier to stitch up :)

just think if you do tear or be cut at the end you will have a gorgeous lil baby you will forget about everythin else... so don't worry :hug: :hug:

One week is still very early, give it more time. I had two episiotomies and three tears ( I was unlucky :oops: ) and it can take up to six weeks to fully heal. Try to take it easy and stay off your feet as much as you can.
You could also try Arnica as that really helped me.

Get well soon! :hug:

I was cut but I tore anyway. Then I was stitched up.
I was still slightly sore at 6 weeks!

Thanks everyone, I had a quick look with help of a mirror and it doesn't look too bad. The midwife's coming by on Sunday anyway so I'll get her to have a look then.

Hi Becky,

I had 2nd degree tears with my first two children (I refused to have an episiotomy) and I didn't allow the midwives to stich me, because I felt I'd heal better naturally. All the other girls from my antenatal class who were stiched had more problems with scar tissue than I did.

Have you tried this? I kept a jug in the bathroom and, when I went to the toilet, I poured lukewarm salt water down over me - it takes the sting out of the urine and helps you heal faster.

To all you others who wonder if you'll ever be "normal" after having a baby naturally again :D , don't worry, you will! I remember after having my first baby, trying to get some sleep, and hearing my next door neighbour (who had two kids) having sex with her new b/f (our walls were quite thin). I lay there, thinking, "how can she possibly be having sex, and with a new man! (and enjoying it) after giving birth twice?" I thought I'd be walking like a cowboy forever, never mind enjoying a normal sex life :D But it's amazing how everything goes back into place.

Yes, labia tears, bleeding for 6 weeks, pain after birth, sitting or going to the toilet - you just don't think about these things when you're pregnant the first time - and you don't want to hear about it either, it's far too scary! But it's all only temporary and easily forgotten, I promise you.

As my mum says, "If it's that bad, no-one would ever have any more children". Well, I'm onto #3 and I'm a total wimp! It's best to know about it expect some pain and also, to know that it's perfectly normal and that everything will heal in a few weeks.

I was ok with my first and only tore a litte, neding just one stitch, but with my second I tore quite badly...It was a very fast last stage so they didnt have time for an epsiotimy (sp?), I needed 4 stitches in the muscle and 3 in the skin!

I had the stitches raw too, the pethidin had worn off and I didnt want another shot just for that so it was sticthed up with out any pain relief, she was pretty quick though!

It did take a while to heal up, but I cant remember the pain or the discomfort so it must have been worth it!

maybebaby said:
I wasn't sure where to put this, sorry if tmi...

I got a quite bad labial tear because Austin came so quickly. The midwife said they couldn't stitch it and it would just heal up on its own. She seemed to think it would be better within a couple of days. It's now been a week and it's not got any better at all. I'm still really sore, it stings like hell when I pee and I can hardly sit down without having to move every 5 minutes. I'm bathing twice a day in water with a cup of salt in to try to help. (Quite dilute so doesn't really hurt when I'm in the bath).

Can anyone else who has had a similar tear advise on whether this is normal, and how long it's likely to take to heal up/stop hurting? I don't want to bother the midwife if it's normal but I'm still in so much pain.

I had quite bad labial tearing but I was stitched and I also had an episotomy (sp) I couldnt sit down at all, had to lye in bed :lol:

Me personaly I dont think having a bath with salt water is a good idea, salt will keep your wound open for longer, I found going in the shower to have a wee and running water on me was the best thing, and using nothing but water :)
If you only have a bath i would suggest keeping a jug of luke warm water, and after a bath pour the water over your bits when the bath is empty to keep it clean, then make sure you dry the area, I used paper towels and just dabbed, it soaked the water up and it wasnt too painfull.

My wounds healed perfectly within 6 weeks, and I never got an infection.

Hope i have helped :D

I had a really bad time recovering from my 3rd degree tear. I too kept bathing to keep the pain away - then when my stitches reopened inside i had to see my consultant.

He was horrified that i'd been taking a warm bath a day (even thought the mw had advised me to) he banned me from baths for 4 wks and told me to shower and hair dry. Maternity pads with a large slosh of witch hazel worked a treat for the pain and cleanliness too.

Please take care of yourself - my tear was badly stitched as it was an emergency situation so i understand that but it doesn't make me resent the surgeon any less as i'm still symptomatic a year on.

An elective c-section has been suggested for this baby not in case i tear but in case the strain of delivery affects the existing vaginal and rectal damage from Jacob so make sure you check your wound and don't be afraid to nag the mw's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back