klee1988

marie_77

Reaction score
Hi hun
i have been reading your posts and am sending u positive thoughts and prayers. I was discusted by that doctors comments and hope u complain as he overstepped the mark.
When i was pg with my daughter now 9 i was at high risk from my blood results for downs syndrome. I was only 21 and when i went to hospital (mil came) they really tried hard to push for amino test i was happy to have scan and leave it if baby looked ok. they made me feel bad and put me on a guilt trip for wanting to bring disabled child into world. i stayed strong when she was born she was perfect and has always been very bright. on the other hand my bloods came back normal for 1st child and he has severe learning disabilities severe behaviour problems and is mentally about 5/6 and is 12 years old. He attends a special school where as most kids with downs attend mainstream and have higher intellegence than him and less probs.

when i had my daughter i was talking to some one whose friend or realtive was told to terminate as baby severly brain damaged baby was born with no probs.

Also when my son was 3 the hospital misdiagnosed him with duchenne muscular dystrophy a terminal muscle wasting condition. his bloods seem to come back fine but genetic testing said he had it. i was told genetics do not make mistakes and it was bloods not coming back right after a muscle biosy which they did when he was awake (he has not been right since then mentally) and lots of bloods examinations he did not have it. genetics had made a very big mistake. i lost nearly 2 stone in 6 wks through all the stress.

my point is this do not put 100% trust in medics get a second or third opinion. why do we have al these tests? so they can minmise number of disable children born. a disability does not mean the end a lot of people who have a disablity lead very good and happy lives. believe in how u feel and trust your own instincts. this medics are very wrong just because a child does not come under the umbrella of what they see as "normal" does not give them the right to play god. society disables and that doctors remarks and opinion disables.

may i wish u all the best and hope for the best for your little one.
keep us posted i hope all works out for u

marie x
26+1

marie i just wanted to say well done :hug:

what a fantastic way to say things and i hope klee reads this soon :hug:

i've done a lot of reading on the disability-v-society debate and you're 100% correct - society disables, physically, mentally, socially.. the list goes on.

i admire those special mummys out there who have children with these problems <3

yes society does disable people. and people who are ignorant to disability.
i have just qualified as a social worker and in yr 2 placement worked with adults with mild learning disabilities throught to those who physical and severe disabilities and i loved every minute of being there. i found it so rewarding.
i have declined tests for downs with this pg and my last ( my daughter who is now 2) i just did not want stress or to be made to feel that my child if had downs was not allowed to have a life because he/she did not fit into the medics umbrella of "normal".

marie 26+1

marie_77 said:
i have just qualified as a social worker and in yr 2 placement worked with adults with mild learning disabilities throught to those who physical and severe disabilities and i loved every minute of being there. i found it so rewarding.
i have declined tests for downs with this pg and my last ( my daughter who is now 2) i just did not want stress or to be made to feel that my child if had downs was not allowed to have a life because he/she did not fit into the medics umbrella of "normal".

marie 26+1

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I completely agree. I am a teacher in a special school and all my kids are fantastic. I refused the 15 week serum tests on the same grounds as you.

klee i also hope you can remain strong and dont be bullied into anything your not happy with at the hospital.

your baby will be beautifu;l and much loved im sure.
all the best for you and the baby xxxx

Thanks marie.

I also refused the triple tests at the 12 week scan as I knew I would love my baby no matter what it had.
But they picked the conditions up on the 20 week scan and I was strongly advised to have the amnio test so they could know what they were dealing with. I only wanted it so my baby could be given the best care as soon as it was born. The test didn't change anything...it they picked up a lot of abnormalities...I would still give my baby a chance.
I realised that a lot of doctors are going to be w***ers about babies with disabilities...Iv learned a lot...especially from here...about not listening to them.
I was talking to a baby doctor on Tuesday and he said he doesn't know how bad the conditions are. He said they look bad but the baby may not be severely affected. He or no one else can tell the outcome. I think there should be more doctors like him in the nhs. You could really tell he loved his job and cared for his patients. He said he would support us no matter what we decided to do and said he would also try the best he could for our baby. He gave us a lot of options which was good.
There is a lot of children who live brillant lives and have disabilities...and I will make sure my child is one of them!!

Thanks for your support.

:hug: :hug:

xoxo

You have a great attitude Klee your little boy is very lucky he has you as a mummy.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

marie_77 said:

marie 26+1

I just turned down mine again too. Don't see the point in having them as it will make no difference to ante natal care and the outcome will be the same regardless of the result so no point.

PS I'm a qualified SW too :)

klee i am glad that u finally got to see a doctor with a heart. it does make the difference to have someone who is passionate about their job and not someone who just does it for the money. i really hope it all works out well and hope u can continue to recieve care from this doctor as he seems to want to get the best for you and your baby.

marie x
26+3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back