Kissing babies - how do I deal with it?

Pregnot

Reaction score
Ok I have an issue-

I'm getting genuinely anxious about people kissing my baby

When I go to my parents house and my nephew and niece (2&3) are there and they go to bed my mum and dad and brother all give them a kiss then they come to me and a pat them on the head or give them a hug I don't do kissing when everyone else has slobbered all over them
It actually grosses me out and makes me feel ill.

My worry is that what if people try and kiss my baby? how can I say don't do that I mean its a real genuine issue for me, like if he goes there and they say goodbye and kiss him I don't want it its not clean and I don't know what I can do to say please don't kiss him.

Does anyone else feel like this? How can I manage these fears?

i guess talking to your nearest and dearest about it would be the best way forward i dont worry about kissing myself its more about germy hands. iv got a bottle of antibacterial gel and while he/she is newborn im going to ask people to disinfect ebfore they cuddle him/her, the other thing i guess is to myaybe have a wet wipe to hand after kisses? i dont know if you can stop relatives kissing the baby? x

TBH I don't think any of my relatives kissed my newborn when he was tiny as people know that tiny babies are sensitive to germs. You could just say that your Health visitor/mw advised you no one should kiss your baby when they're tiny. As they get older though you should try and relax if you can as they need to encounter a certain amount of germs for their immunity. It would be good if you could try and overcome this issue as kissing is a nice thing usually and you don't want to pass your issues on to your LO. Maybe get a bit of counselling and try to work out why you have such an issue... Good luck with everything! :) xxx

TBH I don't think any of my relatives kissed my newborn when he was tiny as people know that tiny babies are sensitive to germs. You could just say that your Health visitor/mw advised you no one should kiss your baby when they're tiny. As they get older though you should try and relax if you can as they need to encounter a certain amount of germs for their immunity. It would be good if you could try and overcome this issue as kissing is a nice thing usually and you don't want to pass your issues on to your LO. Maybe get a bit of counselling and try to work out why you have such an issue... Good luck with everything! :) xxx

I agree with this really Hun. Our relatives also didn't really kiss DS all that much when he was tiny, maybe my mum and sister did but we are very close and I probably would have been offended if they hadn't shown him the affection! It's more become the thing to do as he's got older, we'll always say give nanny/grandad a kiss bye when we leave them for example and he will always give his two cousins a kiss and a hug bye too, as do we. To be honest it's something we encourage as I just think its a nice thing to do and if grandparents have been looking after him it's nice that they get a kiss and hug as thanks.

At the end of the day it's your baby and if you really can't handle it you can of course tell people not to do it. I do agree with the above though that you don't want to pass your issues onto LO. At the end of the day they are very very unlikely to come to any harm from a relative kissing them, it's obviously a bit different if the person has a cold or something but in my experience my relatives wouldn't kiss DS if that was the case anyway. I don't think you can wrap LOs in cotton wool and protect them from every tiny possible germ and I don't think it's necessarily healthy to do so either (bit different when they are newborns obviously). I hope you can find a way to get over your fears :) xxx

Last edited:
My neices and nephews weren't allowed near R until he was about 3 weeks, it really does depend on your feelings if you really don't want them doing it tell them.

I wasn't overly bothered as he needs the exposure to build the immunity xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back