Kedi376 - Birth story

kedi376

Reaction score
12th November - 40+5 - Fed up, uncomfortable and very grumpy. Insisted on going for a LONG walk before dinner to try and get things moving. When I went to the loo before I went to bed I found I had started to lose my plug.

13th November - 40+6 - Fed up, uncomfortable, impatient and still extremely grumpy. Insisted on going for another long walk before dinner. The walk was so painful, I was waddling all over the place and couldn't walk as far as the night before. More plug in my pants before I tried to sleep.

14th November 2am - 41wks - Was wide awake bouncing on ball watching TV when I got my first pain. Left it for a bit but it came back again after 8 minutes. So decided to start timing. Pains were coming and going between 6 and 8 minutes. Not too painful, but noticeable.

14th November 4.30am - OH got up to get ready for work and I told him he couldn't go, I thought this was it. The pains had been fairly constant, still 6-8 minutes, sometimes longer and sometimes shorter and they were lasting about 30-40 seconds each time.

7am - Lying in bed trying to get some sleep but the pains were getting much stronger. I would sleep for the approx 5/6 minutes in between but would wake as soon as another contraction started.

I rang the hospital to warn them and they said to stay at home until the pains were 3 minutes apart.

10am - Pains really bad now, sitting on the ball was so uncomfortable and I found standing and swaying (along with groaning!) helped. Pains now 4/5 minutes apart. I was really beginning to struggle with the pain.

I rang hospital - they said wait another hour!

11am - Pains 3/4 minutes apart and I was losing blood clots. So I rang the hospital again, they said to come in.

It took me nearly an hour to get myself sorted and get to the hospital. OH managed to bunny hop the car on a roundabout during a contraction he was that nervous - nearly punched him!

12pm ish - got into the hospital and was shown to a bed in a ward with 3 other beds. Couldn't sit down as was too uncomfortable. They made me wait another 30 minutes before they examined me.

I had a student male midwife as well as the normal midwife. They examined me at which point my waters broke! Wow how gross does that feel??

J had poo'd inside me so that was my water birth our the window and they now wanted me to lie on the bed being monitored for another 30 minutes. I was doing ok until the strapped me to the bed and wouldn't let me move. The pain at this point was awful and I was doubting I could ever do it. I was apparently about 5cms.

2pm ish - After 30 minutes they took me to a delivery room and gave me gas and air. Once I got the hang of this it was ok. I wouldn't say it took the pain away, it sort of took the edge off it but it certainly gave me something to think about.

Although I was in full panic mode by now and was demanding an epidural! Which I couldn't have straight away as he was in theatre and then there was another lady before me on the list.

This is where I completely lost track of time. The pains were coming thick and fast, I didn't seem to get a break at all. Just as one finished another one started again. I eventually asked for diamorphone which I got a little while later.

I remember opening my eyes at one point and thinking, shit, I can't actually remember the last time I opened my eyes. I had to re-evaluate the whole room.

The male midwife was amazing!! He was able to keep me as calm as possible and through the thick of the gas and air he was the only person I could hear! Even OH tried talking to me and I couldn't understand him.

My blood pressure was rising and I had this huge urge to push. I've never known anything like it, amazing how my body just knew what to do. With each contraction it actually felt better to push. But with my blood pressure so high they were trying to make me breath instead.

I was trying to secretly push, but then I couldn't stop pushing so i would run out of breath again. Finally I think they just gave up and let me push, at which point I put a couple of fingers inside me and could feel J's head. Then I pushed like hell! The midwife stopped me to make a small cut to help J out and then....

Jessie, was born at 5.36pm on 14th November.

I lost a lot of blood after and can't remember much for the next hour. OH said that all of a sudden lots of people came in the room and I was suddenly hook up to a drip.

My aftercare was not so great. They took me to a ward, still with drip in arm. I'd also had a catheta put in to prepare me for the epidural I never got. Then they kicked my OH out and left me there. I was struggling to breast feed with a catheta in and a drip in my arm and the drip machine kept bleeping because I kept moving my arm. So they kept coming back to restart it and telling me not to move my arm. How the hell is a new mum supposed to breastfed her baby with one arm!

Anyway, I've since found out J had tongue tie which we got corrected at 8 weeks. I ended up expressing and topping up with formula for 5 months.

I've really waffled here - sorry!

xx

Last edited:
Aw, congratulations! That sounds so mean about making your OH leave the room.
Any piccies?

Better late than never with the birth story missy!!!

As you know I had James the very same day, after a mammoth 50 hour labour!

I have seen piccies of the adorable little J, maybe we can hook the kiddies up in a few years wink, wink!

xxxxxxx

Aw sorry to hear about your aftercare but congrats (v. late) on your wee girl :) I still can't get over how much hair she has!xx

Forgot to say she weighed 6lb 13oz.

Here are a couple of photos from the following morning before I left the hospital.

Carnat - LOL

Attachments

• photo (11).JPG
    photo (11).JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 16
  • photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    71 KB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts