just want some advice and that plz!!

MissGobby

Reaction score
well found out im pregnant, only been with OH for 5 months but we were best mates for ages before that, it is a bit of a problem for both of us as we havent really spent loads of time together (5 months as a couple!) but we are happy and excited.

the only thing that is worrying us is practical things like money, where we will live etc etc

i know nothing and nothing and just wondered if anyone could give me some insight, or any info about how we go about finding somewhere to live, do we get any help, whats maternity pay like, is it full pay? for how long?

my heads all over the place at the minute so ANY help would be appreciated.

thanks girls :hug:

Hi hun first calm down, you will have a job getting a council house but may be worth putting your name down, you will get mat pay which is about £112 a week i think for 6 months and then you will get family allowence once baby is born and tax credits which depends on your income.Is it 100% that you would need a place hun would your parents let u stay at home for a while, like u say you havent been togeather long

no neither parents would let us move in, we want a place of our own, even if its a flat first, my mate told me yesterday that she got full pay for maternity pay for about 6 months - is that not true then???

oh im so confused, i just wanna know everything

MissGobby said:
no neither parents would let us move in, we want a place of our own, even if its a flat first, my mate told me yesterday that she got full pay for maternity pay for about 6 months - is that not true then???

oh im so confused, i just wanna know everything

Hey MissGobby,

Congrats on your news hon - I bet your over the moon, after all that time you spent TTC! Is this baby with the new Danny? What will the old Danny say? Sorry, I'll stop being nosy now! :oops:

Whether you get full pay on maternity leave or not, totally depends on your employer - you should be able to find this information out on the company's intranet or in the staff handbook. Regardless of what your work offer you (if its over and above this), you will get statutory maternity pay (if you are currently in employment and earning over £80 a week - I think) - which is 90% of your pay for 6 six weeks, then 33 weeks at £112 a week, which is 39 weeks in total = 9 months. You can then go back to work to the same job. You can then take another 13 weeks (3 months) off work, unpaid and go back to work on the same salary, but you may have been deployed to another job/different department. Statutory maternity pay from the government is paid via your employer and is taxed.

You really need to do some web research and reading - here are some links for you (including info on child benefit and child tax credit too):-

Maternity Benefits
Maternity pay
Working Families factsheets
Child Benefit
Tax Credits

I hope you have a fantastic pregnancy - take care.

Valentine Xxx

Hey Miss Gobby,

Congrats! I know a little how you feel, I'd only been with my oh 8 months when I got pregnant last year (although we were living together by then) and going thru a subsequent miscarriage after less than a year together was hard. But we've come thru the other side and are now so happy to be pregnant again.

I worry about money too but there is lots of help. This website is great for working out what tax credits and benefits you might get during maternity leave and after that if you don't return to work full time:

www.entitledto.co.uk

xx

OMG congratulations! :cheer: :cheer:

Just remember you have 9 LONG months of pregnancy so don't get yourself in a state worrying about things.
Maybe you could go to your local housing association and see what help you would be entitled to from them.
Good luck and don't get to stressed take it easy especially for the first 12 weeks, :hug:

thanks girls!!! well we have decided that we are gonna speak to his mum and tell her the news and see if she will help us out as she is very understanding and helpful like that and i dont think i could find everything out on my own, or with OH, our heads are all over the place at the mo lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back