just had a blood test result

roxanne080

Reaction score
and its a bit worrying midwife said that my blood is kind of sticky i forgot the term for it and it may be prone to blood clotting. they need re testing as they think its pregnancy hormones but if not they re going to consult me to and obstetrician. im so worried ..this isnt my first pregnancy and no one said anything in my first pregnancy..did anyone every have this?

Hiya,

I had a DVT (blood clot) a few years ago whilst on the pill which indicates that my blood is prone to clotting for some reason. They haven't found any underlying cause but I am currently taking aspirin and at 13 weeks will start to have heparin injections, to thin the blood. You have to administer the injections yourself daily but it's really not too bad when you get used to it and it's so worth it to avoid any problems with blood clots for you or baby. I also have to have the injections for 6 weeks after delivery which is the most likely time for a DVT.

There are some underlying conditions which cause sticky blood but they are not serious - some are brought on during pregnancy and some are always there. They will probably recommend you have heparin injections if further tests reveal anything unusual but try not to worry, lots of women have them and it's reassurance that your baby and you are protected.

PM me if you want to chat xxx

what conditions..???? it might sound funny but im convinced its hiv even though i never had drugs or unprotected sex..but im like that i think badly of everything..im already convinced that theyre going to ask me to abort the baby..im very paranoid

do they think is leiden factor 6?
dont worry even if u do have something at least they have discovered
it and can give the blood thinning injections and your baby will be
safe.
my auntie had leiden, they never realised and she lost her baby
at term in fact during labour- if they had known she had it
there never would have been a problem..so its extremely positive
they have noticed a problem- hope everything is fine :hug: :hug:

also in regards to the hiv- they test for that seperately and would
know if u had it and would tell u if thats what they suspected so dont
worry about that!

Noooo, it’s not related to HIV at all.

There’s a group of conditions which come under the name Thrombophilias and they include Factor V Leiden, Protein C Deficiency and some others. They’re mostly inherited but some can be acquired during pregnancy. No real reason, just luck – about 1in 20 people have it. None of them are serious on their own, they just need extra monitoring during pregnancy. There’s loads of info on the net, not sure which website to point you in the direction of as it can be confusing but have a look at “Thrombophilia”

After all that, it may be nothing, especially as it didn’t arise during your last pregnancy and you’ve never had a blood clot. They’ll tell you more when they do further tests but it really is nothing to worry about and an advantage is that, if necessary, you get extra care and attention xx

yeh i had to be tested for leiden because of my auntie.
i tested negative but my sister and female cousins will also have
to be tested if they conceive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back