Just Curious Thread No. 2

lisa31

Reaction score
Thought this would be the best place to post this query! I have read / heard a few stories about babys who are 'back to back' when the mum goes into labour and that it makes it worse, and more painful etc.

At the moment (I'm 37 weeks) my L/O is back to back and I am starting to get worried about it after all the things I've heard.

Has anyone had any postive experiences?

Hope no one minds me asking questions!?!

L x

I had total back labour (not a single pain in my tummy) when I laboured but apparantly Phoebe was not back to back but must have been laying funny.
Yes it was painful but I expect tummy pains are painful too!! :shock:
This is going to sound crazy but the pain isn't really an issue when you are in labour because you go along with it rather than pull against it if that makes sense? :?
You will find a position that will help you and my 8hr labour felt like 2hrs!!
Enjoy it :D
I'd do it all again :D

I had back to back labour 12 years ago.... ok, it was a 27 hour labour and only an epidural could save the day...... positive outcome though, when you hold your baby!!!
I think back to back will always be a sore one. I was never aware of it back then as we are today. There are some positions you can use to hopefully encourage the baby to move. Also accupuncture will help. If all else fails, just use pain relief ie. epidural. It won't dampen the experience!!!!
Good luck
Emilia xx

i had back labour, it was hard im not going to lie, and it was like i was being stabed in my bum and the knife was being twisted urghhhhh bringing back memorys, *getting scared* :shock:

but if the pain is to bad for u to handle try epidural i had it at 6dilated as the back pain was unbareble the epidural took the pain away but not fully i could still feel the sharp pain in my back but was bareable. if it wernt for the epidural i defo wouldnt be preg again..... ild be to scared!

My baby was back to back but she turned to the side while I was i labour. I won't lie it is a lot more painful than if the babies in the right position but I was induced also so I think that made it worse. It was so much hardrer to push her out, it took 4 hours of pushing. They also look different to a baby in the right position, Aimee had a big lump on the side of her head and one eye had been bleeding. My advice would be to get epidural in as soon as you can, cos they left it to late for me and couln't keep still for them to put it in and i was in agony!

I honestly cant remember the pain.dont have a clue what back labour etc is was never told anything about it, dont know what position baby was in.

OH told me I was in pain and asking for an epidural but my hosp didn't do them. I had morphine tho and i was so out of it i cant even remember the birth! :cry:

With Damien I started with normal labour, he moved and I had back labour, then I got front labour (in the tops of my thighs and bottom half of my bump). That is worse in my opinion than back labour - there isn't a position in the world which helps as you can't use your legs without it sending searing pain through them. With back labour at least you can position yourself in all fours to keep baby off your spine.

Seren was back to back and this meant I had a long slow labour. I started christmas morning and gave birth on the 27th. The reason why it took so long was because she had to move to the correct position then had to move down so it took ages. However I found a tens machine did get me through the first two days although not fantastically. Sadly no matter what position I went in, the backache still really hurtI went into hospital asI had had enough and was exhausted and had every pain relief going, I was not dilating properly as her head was not in the correct position and I was exhasted so I had the epidural and managed to sleep. Sorry, am not wanting to scare you but my baby came out perfectly and I would happily do it all over again and I am the biggest wimp known to mankind. At 37 weeks baby still has plenty of time to move. Seren was in a perfect position for the last four weeks but at last minute moved back to back (little monkey). There are things you can do to encourage baby to move, get a cheap gym ball from Argos and sit on that as much as you can, get on all fours and make sure you don't slouch on the sofa too much (I think that was my undoing). Hope baby moves x

Mason was back to back and I progressed very slowly too. 24 hours in total, had to have an epi :)

Hi Lisa

My little one was also back to back and I agree with Beanie that the tens machine really helped to take the early labour pains away.

Not sure about everyone else but I lost my waters in early labour so there wasn't anything cushioning the baby's spine and mine so no matter what position I got in I still felt a burning urge to push with each contraction that was like Dionne described - a stabbing pain.

I agree about the epidural- mine was one where I could top it up but I could still feel and move my legs which I liked and was much welcomed relief to the pain and enabled me to start enjoying the labour and have a bit of break.

It'll be fine Lisa, concentrate on your breathing and keep thinking each contraction is one closer to holding your wee baby.

Lucy
Olivia 4 days old

Thanks everyone

It just made me a bit worried cos I damaged my Cocoyx when I fell down the stairs and I wondered if that would cause even more pain - but it sounds pretty painful anyway - so a bit more pain wont make any more difference I imagine! :shock: :shock:

Thanks again for all your replies

L x

Hey

Isaac was in a good position right up till I went into labour then he was back to back and I ended up having a forceps delivery and they had to turn him to get him out. My labour was slow, 23 hours, and a week of slow labour before that but I dont know if it would have been less painful if he hadnt been back to back as I have nothing to compare it to! I had an epidural but it left me with a window of pain on my left side but I didnt have any back pain that I can remember? I also broke my cox thingy at the base of my spine years ago ice skating and that was bloody painful!

I do remember 2 days after I had Isaac that I woke up in the morning and I felt like I had been beaten up and my back was hurting and I have had back pain since but I'm yet to have my post natal check up so I will have to wait and see what they say about it?

My advice is have gas and air and as soon as you are 2-3 cm's and the pain is making your toes curl then tell them you want the epidural and dont take no for an answer! (thats if you want an epi of course) :) oh and also even once you have an epidual keep the gas and air....its excellent! I took mine into theatre and they were all laughing at me because I had a maximum top up just incase I needed a c-section and 100% pain relief lol

Lou :)

Thanks Lou

Yeah its well painful the cocyx thing - only now after a month can I sit down properly - but not for long!

Sounds like Epidural is the way forward for me!

L x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back