Just been told that I am a carrier of Beta Thalasemia

Karate Kid

Reaction score
Hey Ladies,

A lovely midwife just phone and told me that I am a carier of the gene which causes Beta Thalasemia. We will have to go to the hospital on Monday and myself and hubby will have to have more blood tests to a. determine if hubby is also a carrier and b. to confirm I am.

If we are both carriers there is a one in four chance that our baby will have Beta Thalasemia....

I am at work at the moment and I am so worried.... just trying not to panic because we don't know anything for sure as yet.

Sorry about the pointless post I just don't really know who to talk to.

xx

Ah hun I'm sure everything will be alright. It must only be a small chance that hubby will also be a carrier? x

FX crossed for you hun. Hopefully he wont be, will be thinking of you xx

aww bless my hubby is a carrier and I also going 2 b tested 2 see if I am..try not to worry

Thanks Ladies....

1.25% of the worlds population are cariers.... which sounds tiny but I never knew I was a carier!! Well we will find out next week hopefully. I may try to find out if either of Hubby's parents are cariers.

Thanks for all the support x

Aw hun :hugs: I'm sure it'll be fine, really hope he's not a carrier x x

Oh, it's a shame you didn't know before you got pregnant. I'm also a carrier with what they call alpha zero thalassaemia, which is just a variation of the type I have. I knew before we ttc and got hubby checked out before I fell pregnant, so we are OK.

As long as he's not a carrier, you should be fine. I am having monthly HB and ferritin blood tests to check that I don't get too anaemic. Remember though that your tests will probably always come up showing you to be a little anaemic, and especially during pregnancy. My HB has dropped below the acceptable level, but they didn't do ferritin levels last time, so I'm not on iron tablets yet. It can be dangerous for thalassaemia carriers to be given iron supplements as usually it's not that we have low iron, just underperforming haemoglobin, and too much iron can build up to toxic levels in your body. So, just in case they start wanting to prescribe iron for you later on, make sure that they've checked not only you HB, but your ferritin too, which is a better indicator of iron deficiency. It may well be that we may have to have iron anyway, as a lot of pg ladies get low iron, but you've got to be sure they've made the right diagnosis.

Any questions or if you just want to chat, PM me. There's a lot of info on the internet if you google thalassaemia and pregnancy.

OK. Essay over. Take care. Hope hubby comes out not a carrier.
xxx

Oh, it's a shame you didn't know before you got pregnant. I'm also a carrier with what they call alpha zero thalassaemia, which is just a variation of the type I have. I knew before we ttc and got hubby checked out before I fell pregnant, so we are OK.

As long as he's not a carrier, you should be fine. I am having monthly HB and ferritin blood tests to check that I don't get too anaemic. Remember though that your tests will probably always come up showing you to be a little anaemic, and especially during pregnancy. My HB has dropped below the acceptable level, but they didn't do ferritin levels last time, so I'm not on iron tablets yet. It can be dangerous for thalassaemia carriers to be given iron supplements as usually it's not that we have low iron, just underperforming haemoglobin, and too much iron can build up to toxic levels in your body. So, just in case they start wanting to prescribe iron for you later on, make sure that they've checked not only you HB, but your ferritin too, which is a better indicator of iron deficiency. It may well be that we may have to have iron anyway, as a lot of pg ladies get low iron, but you've got to be sure they've made the right diagnosis.

Any questions or if you just want to chat, PM me. There's a lot of info on the internet if you google thalassaemia and pregnancy.

OK. Essay over. Take care. Hope hubby comes out not a carrier.
xxx

Hey Karen, thank you so much for your response. I am just trying to be a positive as possible at the moment. The chance of hubby being a carrier too is pretty low.... doesn't stop the worry!!

I am going to Hospital on monday for blood tests so will probably be advised on if I am low in iron.

I will keep you posted on the outcome, so pleased that your Hubby isn't a carrier. We had no indication, I was adopted so I do not know my medicla history.

xx

I've got my fingers crossed so tightly for you. Try not to worry, but I know it's hard.

I knew from blood tests when I was a child, and my mum and sister are also carriers. It's a pity you didn't know sooner, but there's no real reason for you to have had a test sooner as it's largely asymptomatic.

Best of luck, sweetheart. xxx

Fingers crossed for you that oh is not a carrier, glad there are others on here you can chat to with simular issues , good support there XX

I've got my fingers crossed so tightly for you. Try not to worry, but I know it's hard.

I knew from blood tests when I was a child, and my mum and sister are also carriers. It's a pity you didn't know sooner, but there's no real reason for you to have had a test sooner as it's largely asymptomatic.

Best of luck, sweetheart. xxx

Your so sweet thank you so much xx

I really hope everything is ok hun xx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Just wanted to send you :hugs: and the very best of luck. I really hope he isn't a carrier xx

I just wanted to send some :hugs:I'm sure everything will be ok. Keep us posted hon xx

Thank you all.... you are all such a brilliant comfort!! x

Glad to hear you are staying positive honey - in all likelihood hubby wont be a carrier, and all will be ok! :hugs:

Hope all works out for the best for you hun.

XX

Hey Ladies, following on from last weeks worry called the Antenatal screaning unit today and Hubby is all clear!! I cannot explain to you how thankful, happy, relieved and blessed I feel right now!! At work and just want to cry.... we have our scan tomorrow so once that is out of the way I will be able to relax a bit more.....

Really want to say a MASSIVE thank you to you all for being a brilliant support.... xx

:yay::yay::yay: brilliant news! I just PM'd you too x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back