Just a little rant.

stargirl

Reaction score
I don't mean to offend or be too judging but it wasn't too long ago that all we heard or saw on the telly was about little April jones and it really brought home to me how nowhere really is safe anymore.

Baring that in mind I'm stood at the window at 9:20 on a school night watching children aged between 4 to 7 play on my front. They are out of sight of their own house, even if their mother stood at the gate she wouldn't be able to see them because of how the houses are situated.

The family have only lived on the street for a couple of months and the children have already made themselves well known - they are funny, friendly and polite kids - a credit to their mother but I'm stood her wondering why they arn't having cuddles as they get tucked up in bed! When I was little I was in, bathed and in bed by 8 pm on a school night.

Is it me? Am I being to straight laced?Do young children play out late nowadays? If so I think my little boy is going to hate me for stopping him doing so when he's bigger!

I really am sorry if this post upsets or offends anyone. I don't mean to. I was just wondering.

I find this a little sad. I cant imagine letting my daughter out of my sight to play, never mind when they should be at home and in bed. Its a school night. Maybe im old fashioned but I simply hate how the world is no longer safe to allow this. I have a 6 year old nephew who isnt allowed to do this. He can have his friends over but they all play in the garden where they are watched. Gosh, even the thought of what some people do terrifies me. Xx

tapatalking

We have similar where we live, tiny little children are allowed to play out the front out of sight of their parents and they play in the middle of the road and it scares me! It's a fairly quiet little estate where we live and the only traffic is the people who live here but still, you can't see round the corners and some cars come round pretty fast, I creep round in my car but I've still had to dodge kids in the middle of the road on many occasions. My son is 4 and there is no way I would let him play out the front unsupervised, if he goes out on his bike or scooter I'm always right there by his side. But there are plenty of kids his age and younger who are allowed. I actually think its quite sad that its not safe to let kids play out on their own like they used to but the fact is it just isn't safe anymore, what with the traffic and awful people like the one who killed April... Even if it was safe I certainly wouldn't have my son out at past 9 on a school night. I'm not sure when I will feel comfortable letting him out on his own, maybe when he's 18 lol but I don't think I'll feel happy for a good few years yet, he's probably going to hate me! Xxx

I just couldn't settle knowing there where still out there at 10 o clock. I ended up going out and walking towards there house. I don't know what I was planning to do but as I got outside their mum called them in. She said hello to me and asked me how baby and I where doing. I just said fine and smiled if I'd got into a proper conversation with her I might have overstepped the line, after all it's not for me to say how she parents her children. I just hope in years to come when my lo is older I'm not letting him out till 10pm. It only takes a second for something bad to happen. We live right by the town centre and there's quite a bit of traffic and strangers walking through our street to go to town, not everyone is a friendly face.

i moved not long ago in norway, here kids play out and about all day long out of sight more often than no. they walk long distances to schools by themselves or ride their bikes and whats weird is that it is safe to do so....

BUT i didnt grew up in norway, i grew in a country where you could play like that and roam the streets but when the sun is going down you have to be at home. school nights?????sorry but there was no playing at all during school days!!! maybe a couple of hours after school to a friends house but certainly not for hours out and about.

i have no idea how i am going to give so much freedom to Amelie to do what other kids do here???? but i will have to do it and pray everythign will go ok.

i am also worried that she will be unsafe going in greece to my parents for vacations as she will not know how to guard herself and from what.

i mena i live in a country where people leave their doors unlocked, they go to the supermarket and leave the car unlocked and maybe kids playing inside, you can leave your pram wherever and nobody will touch it and if you loose your wallet there are like 90% chances to get it back.....

i got to the supermarket yesterday and my card for some reason didnt get accepted by the machine. as i had the abby with me i didnt have my whole wallet just keys and my card so i said i am sorry you will have to put everything back we will go home get the wallet with the other cards and cash and come back this afternoon or tomorrow to what i got a response, its fine miss you cna get the shopping with you and come tomorrow to pay, just give me your phone number to remind you in a couple of days if you forget :roll:

jesus i still cant believe that and my oh just nodded when i told him and he told me that it happened to him countless time to the gas stations as not all machine accept mastercard and he just payed next time he was passing buy :roll:

i cant even function in such a society ha ha

It shocks me too!! I am dreading Hannah getting older abd wanting to go out and play! I'm Going to worry 24/7.. When I was little, admittedly I did have problems with neighbours kids (bullying etc) but I was never allowed out of sight and ways had to be home the second the sun started going down. And I had a twin brother too. Hannah won't be staying out late or playing out of my sight and I don't care if I'm judged for it. I'd rather know my daughter is safe!! Xx

Not quite the same but the kids next door to us are between 4 and 7 id say (one isnt at school yet) and they play in their garden till 9 or 9.30....for me thats too late specially for the youngest......... im a bit anal about bedtimes anyway never mind letting them out of my sight x

I really don't understand some people's thinking :( I won't let Connor in the back garden on his own never mind playing out on the street, I was a wreck the whole time he went to a friends house for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I was on the bus the other day & there were two little ones about Connor's age playing in the middle of the road (in a little off street but right next to/leading on to a very busy road) & there were no adults around that I could see :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back