Joshua Mark 31.12.11

Dollie

Reaction score
Hi All, Just taking 5 mins while the little guy is asleep to post my birth story, as best I can remember it anyway :)

OK, so on the 30th Dec I posted on Tri3 about losing my plug, then that night I had serious insomnia and sat up watching films all night downstairs on my own! well at 7am I turned over on the sofa just about to nod off and my waters broke! 24 hours after starting to lose my plug. I woke up OH and started getting our things together, because it wasnt a massive gush I waited until I felt it again before ringing the hospital but I knew this was it. I had also started running to the loo, took us ages to leave the house as I couldnt stop going!!:roll: They told me to go straight in as I was only 35 + 5.
I wasnt having any contractions at this point but was examined and I was 2.5 - 3cm and they could see his head. Not long after the examination the contractions started and my mum arrived, they moved me to a room where I was given a diamorphine jab for the pain with an anti sickness med included as I had started being really sick. The diamorphine helped for a while but wore off pretty quick, and I was still continuously throwing up, which wasnt that nice when it happened at the same time as a contraction! Oh and my mum were timing the contractions and they went from 5 mins to 4 mins to 3 mins very quickly so my OH went off to find someone as the pain was getting worse and had only had the diamorphine. I think this was around 11am, I was wheel chaired to the main delivery suite and examined again and was 6cm! at this point I was given gas and air which was good stuff and the only thing that stopped me being sick!! lol. The contractions were coming thick and fast and eventually i started feeling the pressure in my bum so i knew things were getting close. They had the baby doctor there with me being early but his heart rate was fine and never dropped once. The midwife examined me and said to push when I felt the urge, when I started to push with the next contraction the feel of his head coming out freaked me out a bit and I held back but with a bit of encouragement I got him out with a few good pushes! The midwife told me to stop once his head was out and I did but my body gave an extra push that I had no control over and he shot out!! Baby Joshua, born at 1.49pm :) My mum cut the cord as OH is a bit squeamish and he was put straight on my chest, all i could say was oh my god oh my god oh my god, lol. The most amazing moment ever!! I had to have stitches but after a bit if gas and air to get the anesthetic injections in I couldnt feel it.
All was well at birth and he weighed 5lb 7.5 ounces, no special care needed.
We stayed in hospital 4 nights as he developed jaundice so had phototherapy, had a rough time in hospital as OH couldnt get the time off work with him being unexpectedly early and not qualifying for paternity leave so he had to do a few half days etc leaving me on my own all day and night exept visiting hours as they would not allow anyone except partners outside of visiting hours! Plus the little guy would not settle or sleep anywhere but in my arms! By the time we came home I had slept for 4 hours in 5 days! When we got home he still wouldnt settle giving me a 6th sleepless night.
The midwife came out the next day and when he was weighed he had lost 13.2% of his body weight!! so he had to be readmitted to hospital on the childrens ward that day. It turns out the post natal ward never weighed him before they discharged him!! he was dehydrated and had lost far too much weight which is why he was so unsettled. So we switched to formula feeding over night on the childrens ward but was allowed home the next day as he had started to gain weight again. Just glad to have it all behind us, and hes the most amazing little guy. He still only weighs 4lb 15 so being closely monitored at the mo x

Attachments

• 395936_10150553195073659_659998658_10615184_213673595_n.jpg
    395936_10150553195073659_659998658_10615184_213673595_n.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 401082_10150562900083659_659998658_10668333_2055571432_n.jpg
    401082_10150562900083659_659998658_10668333_2055571432_n.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 36
  • josh 8-1-12 800x600-14.jpg
    josh 8-1-12 800x600-14.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
What a cutie :)
Lucky that you needed no special care for how early he was. : )
Glad your home now x

Congratulations!! Those photos are adorable! :) xx

Ahhh that photo on the blanket is adorable - what a fast labour - I bet you are glad to be home now x

Awww! Huge congrats xx he's gorgeous xx

Congratulations! Is he your first baby too?

He's absolutely gorgeous! :cloud9:

oh he is so lovely........what a cutie xx

Thanks everyone, so glad to be home. Just hoping hes put weight on tomorrow for midwife or we have to go back to hospital. Yes hes my first x

what a fab labour! congratulations hun he's adorable :D

I had a wee chuckle when you said *he just shot out* lol xxx

He is beautful, congrats and I hope you get some sleep now.

Last edited:
Oh he is just beautiful and soooo teeny :love: huge congrats Hun xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back