Joshua Andrew Ison 20/1/2012 **Now with pics**

Lulabell

Reaction score
So my whirlwind birth story! And it's not a scary one! :) Gone into a lot of detail though so bit of a long read.

So, I though my waters broke on the evening of the 19th. Phoned delivery suite and they asked me to come down. Checked my pad and they wernt sure so asked me to pop another pad in and checked that after 20 minutes. Still inconclusive, so did a speculum internal exam. Basically, asked me to lay down for half an hour to see if any waters pooled inside me. When they checked, there was none and my cervix was high and tucked away. Conclusion? No where close to labour. :-( But while I was there i did have 3 mild contractions.*

We left at 11pm and was told to take two paracetamol and get some rest. But as soon as I got into bed, contractions started. I hoped the paracetamol would kick in but it didn't. So I thought I'd sit in the lounge and wait for it to take effect and let hubby sleep. But contractions started to come closer together and much stronger. By 1am they were 4 mins apart. I phoned delivery suite and spoke to lady I saw earlier in the evening and she said have a bath as they would most likely not develop into anything. As soon as I got into the bath, I had to get out. Was so uncomfortable. Back into the lounge on the birthing ball I went. And by now contractions were ranging from 2 to 3 mins apart and the pain was so intense.

Woke up hubby and asked him to phone delivery suite and they asked me to come back down to be monitored. At this point the contractions felt like they were on top of each other. Getting dressed and getting to the car seemed to take forever! The pain was intense and each contraction was lasting about a minute to a minute and a half.

Got to delivery suite and Rosie (the lady I saw earlier - so lovely!) was there and shocked at how fast things had gone. Clearly seeing that this was the real deal. Once in my room, I begged for drugs. The contractions were on top of each other and were incredibly intense. She wanted to check my cervix but I was not happy bunny. So in came the gas and air. Oh my god...heaven! Then she checked me. Bearing in mind this was 15 mins after arriving, she told me I was 6 to 7 cm dilated already! 45 minutes later I was fully dilated and told I could push. At this point I was scared. I was terrified of pooping or tearing.

Started to push and to be honest I really didn't feel like I was getting anywhere. Was then told that babys heart beat was dropping and that I needed to push. At this point in came two doctors along with the two midwives and student already in the room. I felt like I was going to give up but they told me I really needed to get this baby out. Hubby was by my side and gave me so much support that I felt a new wave of energy come over me. And so I pushed like my life depended on it! Out came the head. This is where it got a little scary. They had to perform an episiotomy to prevent me from tearing. This was the most painful part and I did scream at this point. But then with the next contraction, I pushed and that was when Joshua arrived into this world at 5.25am. Placed immediately on me and cried but then taken away as he needed a boost of oxygen. Few minutes later, brought back into the room and on my chest. From starting to push and the arrival of my boy took 1 hour and 10 mins.

When people say the pain is forgotten when you have your baby in your arms...believe me it's true! All the pain was worth it and I even said I would do it ten times over straight afterwards.

While I had some stitches done, Joshua latched on and had his first feed. Didn't feel pain from stitches at all as I was too busy looking at my little miracle! Once stitches completed, I was left with my baby and it was the most amazing moment ever! The reality kicked in. This was my son and I was a mummy!

Weighing in at 8lb exactly, he was a good size. And I was allowed home once I showed them I could wee by myself. Thought this odd as didn't have a catheter or anything. Had a shower and was home by just after 11am.*

So far today, he has slept and fed fine. I feel so proud of myself. I didn't have the water birth I had hoped for but I managed to only use gas and air. And do you know what, it wasn't that bad. The worst thing so far has been his first poop....ewwww! Greeny black goo! And I was the lucky one to deal with it!

I am so in love and over the moon with my little man! Joshua Andrew Ison born at 5.25am on the 20th of Jan 2012 weighing 8lbs exactly. From start to finish it was about 6 hours!

Well done if you have managed to read all of this. Pics will be posted shortly!

**Pics added - I look a mess but it was a manic 6 hours so to be expected LOL**

Attachments

• IMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0024.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG0031.jpg
    IMAG0031.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG0039.jpg
    IMAG0039.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Fab story, you are so lucky, congratulations :)

Ahh what an amazing story. Couldn't believe the whirlwind when i looked this morning :)
Least your LO is fine and safe with mommy now. x

So wonderful! I'm a bit teary eyed now! You did such a great job! Can't wait to see pics :) xx

Wow honey! Inspirational story! Obviously made to have lots of babies :) enjoy him! Xxx

So amazing lula - what a great job you did! It's a lovely and inspiring story x

What a lovely story - you did amazingly - can't wait to see the pictures :)

Amazing hun :love: huge congrats on ur little boy xx

Congratulations, glad it went so well and quick for you. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back