Jonah will not go to bed!!!!!

toni64539

Reaction score
Every night it is around this time when I am finally able to put my four month old in his bed, up until this time everytime I try to put him down he screams!!! Or wakes up within 15 mins! I have had four months of no evenings and I'm going insane!!! I just want him to go to bed at a normal time!!! He is in no sort of routine really at all through the day or night! He doesn't feed in any routine cos of his reflux so to get him into a napping/sleeping routine is impossible!!!! I know this is like the millionth post I've done along these lines but I'm getting a bit desperate!

Could you not put him to bed and leve him to cry himself to sleep? As long as you know very thing is alright with him Ofcourse. I've heard a couple of my friends did this for about a week and then their lo went to bed fine. But obviously do keep checking them. Xx

I am so glad you posted this cos I'm having similar problems with my son. To be fair he is a bit younger at 10 weeks, but he is a rubbish sleeper during the day and at night will not go down and stay down in his basket until gone 9pm. Its like he finally gets to a point where he's frazzled and his body gives in! I'm struggling with having no evenings or time alone in the day o the point where it is effecting my marriage. Plus LO gets cranky with no sleep. OH and I are like strangers in the same house. He works 7-5 then comes home and has to take LO off my hands so I can eat and shower. Then its one having LO while the other dashes round like a loon doing bottles, dishes etc. Then when he finally does nod off I'm exhausted so go to bed.

I don't really have any answers. After a massive row and heart to heart yesterday we decided enough is enough and are reclaiming our evenings. We took him up at 7, got him in his jammies and fed, rocked and held him until he was half and half, then put him in his basket with a dummy till he nodded off. He didn't nod off until 9 anyway, but I will keep doing this until he starts to nod off earlier.

Sorry I hijacked this with my own moan! At least you're not alone, and I'll keep watch for tips to try!

Last edited:
Thanks mumtobe and littlemonkey, I'm all for controlled crying (within reason) just health visitor said not to do it till six months. I suppose I could give it a try not if he gets REALLY upset though. Poor little mite, I hate him being sad x

I let Jack dictate his routine until he was 6 months old and most nights he came up to bed when we did. At 6 months he decided midnight wa an acceptable bedtime so I decided to start a routine with him where he was only allowed a max of 40mins sleep at 5pm-ish and then went to bed upstairs in our room at 8-ish. It worked well for him and he thrives on his routine now.

We're doing the same with Harry unless he shows signs of following a routine before hand. At the moment he goes down for the night anywhere between 8-10.30pm so we don't have an evening a the moment either. The way I see it they're tiny for such a short time just go with the flow and enjoy them. We put Harry on his play mat when Jack goes to be at 8.30pm and he wears himself out on it.

Could you try writing down his feed & nap times so you can see if he has a pattern at all? And if you think he can handle it maybe limit his afternoon/evening nap so he's tired earlier? Jack wasn't ready at Jonah's age and Harry's 12 weeks on Saturday and isn't ready but Jonah might be? x

I was told by most people not to do it until 6 months but I've been very lucky anyway as my lo has been a good sleeper. I remember when she was younger she would never go to sleep until dead on 11.30, i wouldn't do controlled crying as im a big worryer, so just stayed up with her and then one night out of the blue she started going to bed at 9 and then soon after 7. so you could try the controlled crying (which I've heard really does work after about 1 week) or do a me and just go with it until one day he goes to sleep earlier.. Also we got a lullaby thing that plays music and lights up for about £15-£20 for our lo which really helped her settle by herself. I hope you get a better night tonight. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back