Joining the world of cloth... possibly

Rooster30

Reaction score
My 18 month old is and has always been in disposables, and will probably stay this way as I hope to start potty training soon.

However, I found out I was pregnant yesterday and I am really interesting in putting our new baby in cloth nappies. Problem is, I know very little about them.

If I am honest, I am mainly leaning towards cloth because they are so much prettier and I think overall they'll be more cost effective. OH and I both prefer the thought of an upfront cost rather than the spread cost that disposables inevitably leaves on us.

I am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of cloth threads already on here, so I hope you don't mind me starting a new one so I can filter the information a bit.

Firstly; How do they work? How are they assembled? Which part gets washed? How often do you need to wash them?

Secondly; Which cloth nappies are best for newborns? I worry that the one-size-fits-all nappies just seem too big for very tiny ones?

Thirdly; What do you do at bedtime? Do you use disposables at bedtime or add extra liners (?) to the cloth.

Finally; What do you recommend? Which cloth nappies do you use and why?

Thank you so much in advance.

I'll have a go at answering some of your questions:

We use 2 different types of nappy: pocket and 2 parts.

The pocket nappies, basically, are a waterproof outer and a fleecy liner sewn together, with "boosters" that slot in. The fleecy liner wicks the wee away from baby's bum keeping them dry, the boosters absorb the wee. With these, we pull the boosters out when changing his bum, chuck them all in the nappy bucket and wash like that.

The other system we use is 2 part. This consists of a cloth nappy and a seperate waterproof outer. The cloth nappy bit can have extra boosters, and you can use either fleece or flush able liners. We use fleece - I never got on with disposable. In the same way, the liner keeps the baby's bum dry, the cloth nappy (and any boosters) absorb the wee. The waterproof bit goes on like another nappy on top.

We used disposables for the first 2 weeks, then moved to tots bots and little lamb first size (2 parters). They are bulkier than disposables, but I've never really had a problem. These weren't birth to potty though, but I could have used btp as it turns out (this is my first child though, we plan to get our money's worth!) but I also have a big baby!

Bedtime we use 2 part nappy's. They're incredibly reliable, and we stick 2 extra boosters in, and an extra large wrap (little lamb are my favourite wraps - we use a size 3 at night). Never had a leak!

My favourites are:

Tots bots bamboozle stretch (a 2 part nappy). Along with little lamb wraps. I don't rate the little lamb nappies anymore because they don't feel like they wash as well after 3/4 months use.

For pockets, my absolute favourites are blueberry followed closely by fuzzibuns.

I would recommend you get a few though. I had all the same, then I managed to pick some up second hand, and it really opened my eyes to the difference!

Good luck, I really hope cloth works for you, we adore it! X

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have been doing quite a bit of research into them and I have been recommended to use Bamboozle Stretch (as you have) for night time and Bumgenius Elemental for day time. They look stunning.

However, I am not convinced that they are cheaper than disposables. We've been paying about £16 per month for 152 nappies for the past year or so, which works out at £192. I've been quoted £357 for everything I apparently require to go cloth. It probably would've been more economical is I had started my first born on cloth.

How many nappies do I ACTUALLY need? As in that quote is 15 Bumgenius Elementals for daytime and 5 Bamboozle Stretch for nighttime (and other bits and pieces, like the bucket and laundry bag etc). I have been shopping/looking around and got it down to £300 for 13 Bumgenius and 5 Bamboozle stretch.

I'll definitely look into second hand too, thanks for that tip!

We have way too many nappies as it is... How do you plan on drying them? Since 6 months ish, we've used about 5 nappies in the day and 2 "night time" nappies, and I was doing a daily nappy wash. so I'd have one lot in use and one drying. I dry in the airing cupboard, so when the heating was going they'd dry really quickly.

We now use about 3 a day, and I have millions of nappies, so I do about 3 nappy washes a week.

You can get preloved nappies to bring the cost down, there's a few Facebook groups. To be honest, I've spent a lot on nappies. I'll only start to "save" when we have another child I think. Then well be quids in with a 3rd, haha!

You have to factor in the cost of washing (detergent and electric) when it comes to "would I save money"... It's not ALWAYS worth it. But we are very big cloth nappy fans in this house - we have used disposables on holiday/staying with family, and they just aren't as successful leak-wise. Xx

Thank you. I've ordered 2 Bungenius nappies and a bamboozle stretch, nappy wrap liners and a couple of boosters to have a look at them and trial my toddler on them before I commit to them for my new baby.

Do you have any major issues with nappy rash? Also, does your LO wake up in the night needing a change or do the extra boosters do the job?

He used to have absolutely horrendous nappy rash permanently, until we started washing at 60 - he's not had any since!

As a young baby I'd change him in the night because he'd poo, but extra boosters do the job with the wee and he's fine.

I have heard cloth is much better for potty training as they know when they're wet more and don't like it? (When they're older) so maybe that'll help you out there ;-)

Brill, thanks for that. Maybe I can get my toddler on the road to potty training by trialing him out on cloth nappies.

Great to know that there are no real issues with nappy rash or needing to change the nappy at night. We'd have to change our little one if he'd pooped in his disposable at night anyway, so no difference there.

I'm excited about it getting my starter pack of cloth nappies.

I really hope you love them as much as we do :) good luck!! Xxx

We use Bumgenius and Bamboozle stretch and love them! Still get the odd bit of nappy rash but nothing a bit of nudey time doesn't solve

I used bumgenious poppers and a few similar styles, but only for a few months, couldn't keep up with it and I got very fed up, but they were good and very few leakages.

What did you find tiring about them? I'm hoping the washing and drying will become routine. I think I am just worried about poops in cloth. Still not really sure how I'd handle them!

Thanks for your advice ladies I do really appreciate it. I can't wait to at least give them a try.

Well, I was in a flat when I started them and I would have to rinse off the poop in my bath, clean the bath, store in a nappy bin which got smelly far too quickly, cleaning and drying them (especially if they were bamboo...they took way too long to dry) in a flat, and making sure you had enough clean...same process day in day out, on top of other things I had to do (husband works away so it was a one woman job) and I eventually moved into our new house with garden and thought it would get easier...it did in a way, but I was getting hacked off and something had to go and I was slowly beginning to use more and more nappies (I would use normal nappies when I was out and about as I couldn't bare having a poop filled nappy in my bag) and I just washed them all and sold them. It DOES become routine, but I hated it, really hated it. It became tiring and hard work. I was doing it to be a little more Eco friendly, but I was still having to put a wash on every day, use nappy liners (catch the poop...highly recommend using them otherwise you will have to scrape off poo) and runny poos nearly always leaked from these cloth nappies (maybe just me not doing them properly) resulting in more washing.

I do like them for the appeal and not having to constantly go to the shops etc...and when you figure them out (took me some major accidents to find out how to use them correctly haha) they are just as easy to put on as a disposable nappy. But for ME the constant washing, smell and pain in drying them in time was too much in the end. But you might want to try a trial pack and see how you get on, buy a few and use them and disposable until you have made your desicion. They are still an expensive investment.

Thanks for that Kelly. I have bought a trial pack to use on my toddler before I invest £300+ on them. I don't want to get caught up in the idea of them as one thing and the reality as something completely different. So, I'm definitely not rushing into it, just getting to know my options as cloth didn't even cross my mind with my son. I don't know how much my 'trial' of them will tell me but it'll be interesting to see!

As far as poop goes with us - bf poos are fine, no scraping required. He's doing slightly more substantial poos now, and the biggest chunks tend to come off with a bit of loo roll (they don't have to be totally clean). We never got on with disposable liners :-(

My trial pack arrived whilst I was away, so just giving them a few washes and hopefully will give them a go this week!

We've just started too. I ordered one of each of pretty much everything to decide what we like best so that we can order our faves in bull. Still playing around with all styles at the minute but really enjoying it. Still using disposables at night because cloth needs changing sooo often and with baby still a newborn I wanted every minute sleep I can get rather than waking because nappy had leaked but in the day it's really easy to do cloth. The bulkiness takes some getting used to but you soon adjust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back