Johnstons baby products..

pink lady

Reaction score
Hello,
I have just purchased a bumper pack for the baby by johnstons from mothercare. My sister who has a one year old told me that it was a waste of money! The pack included baby oil, shampoo, top-to-toe wash, cotton buds, baby bath, bodywash, baby soap, skin care wipes, body lotion and baby powder.

She said it was dangerous to use these products on my new baby as they were all perfumed and could cause rashes! surely Johnstons would be getting sued left right and centre if this was the proven case?

Have any of you heard any truth in what my sister has been saying? she said her midwife told her to stay away from all that! bit confused, depending on feedback from you all, i might send it back.

Thanks!

PL.x

Hi, pink lady, i wouldn't worry about what your sister says i used Johnsons stuff with my first and she's ok its all specially made with babies in mind, my guess is only a few very sensitive babies would have problems with it, i used the baby bath and shampoo when my daughter was 3 days old.
I think the best thing to do is go with your own instincts

midwifes use these products on new babies in the hospital so they cant be that bad.... think she been listening to rumours.

dont worry hun.. they will be fine for ur baby

Johnson's stuff is lovely.
Yeah, for the first few days you're not supposed to use anything except warm water to wash your baby, but after that you want them smelling nice!

I had no probs at all with Johnson's stuff, even if it is nore expensive.
The best thing I got was the top to toe wash WITH A PUMP dispenser.....so you only need one hand to get the stuff out!

Thanks for the reassurance, seemed ridiculous to me! will keep hold of it, so it's saved me a journey. She is doing the Gina Ford contented little baby book, i was wondering what you thought of it?

she can't go anywhere to stay overnight as the baby needs a blackout blind! everything is planned around the routine, which is up at 7am, nap at 9-10.30. Nap at 12-2pm then bed at 7pm. She is a good baby and sleeps the whole night through, but just thought the whole deal with having to go home at these times every day is tiresome and restricting. I agree with some aspects of the book, but think soem of them don't pay off in the end.

Let me know your view if you have read the book or even done it!

Thanks

PL.x

personally im taking it ay by day and let baby choose a routine she is happy with.

johnstons are far to harsh for newborns, I used them on my daughter and she came out in a rash everywhere! my midwife told me they dont recomend them untill they are atleast a month old.

I forgot all about this and used them again on my son, same thing happend, so i switched to mothercare and tescos products, i.e shampoo, baby bath etc, and they were lovely on his skin.

I will never use johnstons prducts again, i think they are horrible

for wipes i personaly would use pampers or huggies, i really dont like johnstons.

I've found the best wipes to be tesco's own... they have improved alot since my son was a baby.

hi pink lady

perfumes can be irritating to people with sensitive skin. this is true for anybody, not just babies. That being said I used johnson products with no problem. i don't see any problem with using the products...they have passed safety standards afterall! just watch for any reactions and if they do occur stop using the product. if it makes you feel better they usually have unscented as well as perfumed products. try not to worry so much. I find a lot of the people these stories come from are overcautious worriers!! :D

I think Johnsons have been around for such a long time now and I doubt that it can do huge damage. However, babies skin is very sensitive when so little. I've chosen not to use anything other than Weleda Baby products. Natural unperfumed products made from camomile and calendula. The bum cream is great and lasts for ages!
I know that sainsbury's stocks some great alternative products. Worth checking out.
XX
Emilia

just an update:
i just read in my parenting magazine that it is safe to use these products on newborns. it is rare that they will have a reaction but it is possible if the baby has very sensitive skin.

Yea, it really depends on how sensitive the baby's skin is. I love all of the Johnson's baby products!

We definatley wont be using Johnson's products as myself and DH are both allergic to them, we both have sensitive skin which is bound to be passed to Beanie and come out in red skin/small blister type spots that have to be burst to relieve the itching...horrible. Even things like Fairy washing up liquid causes the same thing.

I noticed that Simple offer a range of baby products and wipes so we'll probably stock up on those products just in case, anything without loads of perfume in would be fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back