jaundice

Discussion in 'Baby & Toddler' started by naomi88, Sep 18, 2016.

1. naomi88

naomi88 Well-Known Member

Hi ladies

Had my little boy on the 13th so he is currently 5 days old. Since day 3 he has had jaundice. While his level is still below intervention it has risen today - it went from 214 yesterday to 244 today. Although she did another reading straight afterwards which came out as 234 so I don't entirely have much faith in the machine!

Midwife is coming out again tomorrow and I'm freaking out in case it continues to rise. He feeds loads (breastfed) and we have been trying to get him in indirect sunlight as much as possible, through walks etc and sitting by the window. Don't understand why the levels are rising and wondered if anyone had any experience? Was expecting levels to go down not up.

Any reassurance or advice much appreciated!
    Xxx

2. KEW

KEW Well-Known Member

My wee man had very similar readings. The jaundiced peaked on day 6 and then started to drop. I'm sure if he's feeding well it will start to drop in the next day or two. Sounds like you're doing everything you can xx

3. Belfa

Belfa Well-Known Member

My wee boy was the same, kept going up when we got home and it got to the point where it really needed to be down by the next day to save a hospital try and it did. We did exactly what your doing, kept him by the window in the daylight x

4. StephyLou

StephyLou Well-Known Member

Thea's jaundice peaked at around day 6 and cleared before our next midwife appointment on day 10. I know its hard to not freak out but if he's feeding well it will go away.

5. naomi88

naomi88 Well-Known Member

Ah thanks ladies, he will be getting checked again tomorrow morning which will be day 7 so hopefully like yours it will have started to come down. He's still feeding really well and he's gaining weight so fingers crossed it will start working it's way out of his system now.

Thanks for the reassurance! Xxx

6. Blueclass

Blueclass Well-Known Member

Hi I had my baby in June but she was jaundice, I breastfed but was told to top up with formula and express and give baby that. Apparently all the extra calories help fight it so I was told. It did help but I then had to wean her of formula which was tough. Hopefully your little knew won't need the light therapy and the levels will drop. Mine was just below the treatment line x

7. MelC2011

MelC2011 Well-Known Member

Dylan's jaundice got quite bad at day 6 and by day 7 we called a midwife out to have a look and she called the hospital there and then and arranged for us to go in for a blood test. His feeding was pretty poor at this stage too).
    Unfortunately due to high levels he was admitted straight away and ended up staying in for 48hrs phototherapy.

His colour only started to look normal after 7 weeks xx