Jarred v Homemade

Also when you cook spag bol make extra freeze some of that but half it and put a wee bit of spice in it and make chili con cani too for a bit of varity. you can even add normal tined beans to it to add another taste/texture xx

I worry that there is too much salt in our food? Like gravy? Or is that ok?

Saw baby stock cubes, could use them I suppose?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Well yeh you can buy baby gravy but i always have let her have beans etc you can get reduced salt tins and kids ones x

I am naughty and use jars for our spag Bol. Will have to start making my own sauce (I make everything else from scratch but not that lol weird) xx

I use jars for a lot of our food which is why I just do Aaron's food desperate. I'm too lazy during the week

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

Thanks ladies, yep I know that they may need a good few tries with something before they decide if they like it of not.

I was just thinking in the beginning I could opt for the prepared stuff just to make life a little easier. We have a tiny kitchen and no freezer so sadly I am not able to make batches... It will be a case of going out on the day, buying what we want to try and having it that afternoon.

So far James has only had banana and he doesn't like it? I mash half of it and give him the other half as a chunk (I am interested to see which method he prefers??)

He's also had an EK pear pouch which he was OK with, so I am going to make my own pear puree to try him with

xxxxxxx

Banana has never been a hit in my house.

Pear is a great first puree. It's very mild tasting, Bethan loves pear!

tapatalking

Proud mummy of Seren 15 Nov 2010 & Bethan 12 Oct 2012

Goodness that does sound like a small place. Our kitchen barely fits the two of us in if we are cooking but we still fit two freezers lol. They are definitely coming in handy now too!

Pear puree is good and doesn't even need cooking if they are ripe enough. I think you can keep purées in the fridge for a little while? (Someone please correct me if I am wrong) xx

Fresh fruit purée is mash and give it now and dispose any leftovers right away. Steamed/boiled fruit up to 48 h.
I cook every other day for her. i give the first meal right after is cooked and the rest goes in the fridge after it cools in its original pot even lol, next day I get out of the fridge heat on the stove mash with fork and that's all.
I never gave her food that its older than 48 h old.
Our fridge has a chilled room, where the temperature is close to 0 degrees so her food goes in there (it never freezes)

Saying that most of the days she grabs things from our plates that are up to 3-4 days old (when we have leftovers) and she has been just fine lol...

It was the steamed fruit I was thinking of, thanks for clarifying Hope :) xx

We hope to move soon (it may have to wait until I go back to work though) but yep space is very tight in our kitchen, we had to lose a cupboard to fit a washing machine in...Space is another reason why I am keen to do BLW [less prep etc]. I am too chicken yet to give him chunks though.

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Another wee cheat. I had some frozen carrot a parsnip I had prepared earlier, so defrosted then heated it, added some coconut yogurt and some curry powder and wala! Veg korma! x

Omg that is amazing! Will definitely be doing that. You could make it fresh then freeze in portions couldn't you? Xx

I don't see why not! It smelt amazing I think I may have to make it for myself and oh a night x

I had some pouches to give her first tastes, as didnt want to do batch cooking when she was just having 1 spoon a day.

but she NEVER gets them now. Nor jars. I personally dont believe there is any nutritional value to them at all. All the veg will have been boiled to an inch of its life. Any vitamins or minerals would have been added after.

I dont see it as a problem at all to make my own purees. I stick chopped carrots, sweet potato, brocolli and whatever else I am using into a steamer. 15mins later its done.

shove it into a big just and zap with the hand blender. Perfect puree in less than 30mins! I then divide it all up into little plastic pots and shove in the freezer. Easy. I just take a pot out of the freezer each day and pop in the fridge. And if i am going out I just grab a pot and take it with me.

my last batch was cauliflower, broccoli in a cheese sauce.

that way she gets home cooked, organic nutritious meals all the time. And I KNOW there is no added starches, salt, sugar or horrible additives or preservatives.

she does get peppa pig or ellas kitchen yoghurts though!

I'm totally in agreement about homemade being better but formula milk is fortified with vitamins, too, isn't it?

I'm totally in agreement about homemade being better but formula milk is fortified with vitamins, too, isn't it?

yeah good point. They will still be getting everything they need from milk.

I dont think jars or pouches do any harm, I just dont think they do much good either.

in my mind, if it only takes me an hour to make a months worth of healthy, organic wholesome food, why on earth would I not do that and give her pouches and jars instead?

I also enjoy cooking for her. Love it when she finishes a bowl of whatever I have made her!

also for my LO who sometimes doesnt take a lot of milk, I like the control of adding extra fats and calories to her food.

like I give her mashed avocado mixed with philadelphia (full fat) on days she is refusing milk. And like tweety I hide cheese in whatever I can!

I dont think jars or pouches do any harm, I just dont think they do much good either.

in my mind, if it only takes me an hour to make a months worth of healthy, organic wholesome food, why on earth would I not do that and give her pouches and jars instead?

I also enjoy cooking for her. Love it when she finishes a bowl of whatever I have made her!

also for my LO who sometimes doesnt take a lot of milk, I like the control of adding extra fats and calories to her food.

like I give her mashed avocado mixed with philadelphia (full fat) on days she is refusing milk. And like tweety I hide cheese in whatever I can!

Eva turns her nose up at my cooking. Wee torag.

I give her a cubes of cheese and some toast with unsalted butter when doing blw. She also eats bits of fruit like pineapple and grapes so it's not all pre prepared. I'm trying but sometimes cave just so she'll eat something, iykwim?

I should add I'm actually a not bad cook. I won the Home Economics prize at school.... :D

Eva turns her nose up at my cooking. Wee torag.

I give her a cubes of cheese and some toast with unsalted butter when doing blw. She also eats bits of fruit like pineapple and grapes so it's not all pre prepared. I'm trying but sometimes cave just so she'll eat something, iykwim?

I should add I'm actually a not bad cook. I won the Home Economics prize at school.... :D

i think they can get used to a certain taste, then find home cooking less attractive.

last time my step mum was baby sitting I showed her where the pots of veggies were in the freezer. I also had some ellas kitchen pouches in the cupboard left over from when she was only taking a spoonful

my step mum decided to give her a pouch. But she didnt like the smell of it, so she walked to the shop and got a jar of chicken and vegetables! And poppet loved it apparently

1 - wtf was wrong with my home cooked veggies that she didnt even try them?
2 - didnt like the smell?
3 - WE HAVE NOT GIVEN HER MEAT YET!!

took poppet a couple of days to get back to eating my veggies properly.

W eats anything now. Home cooking or shop bought. I always think if I wouldn't eat it, then he shouldn't need to?xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back