Jarred v Homemade

EssJayPea

Reaction score
Not wanting to start a big riot but wondered what people's thoughts on jarred/pouches of baby food were as opposed to cooking and making your own?

I'm doing a bit of both. Some of my home cooking hasn't been appreciated :( and sometimes it's easier to get a pouch of Ella's Kitchen out the cupboard especially if we are out and about.

What's everyone else doing? X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm using the ellas kitchen pouches n he loves them. I've made a few things but he wasnt to keen.xx

Ellas kitchen are ok occasionally but they are quite sweet so of course babies will prefer them. I wouldnt buy most jarred as its full of starch which doesnt have anything good in it.
My son never took jarred food anyway, just fruit pots as a treat. Tbh it feels wrong to give him something esp with meat that is sitting there unrefrigirated for a long time. I wouldnt eat it myself.
I prefer freezing homemade meals

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I get joy out of cooking for Aaron, and like the fact I can control whats going into his food - it also works out A LOT cheaper!

I have given him an Ella Kitchen pouch twice now, and found them really runny and sloppy with not much content. But I would use them if out and about etc.

I have to make Aarons food as high calorie as possible, so cooking suits me better

I love cooking up purées, and as a PP said it works out MUCH cheaper - I bought a butternut squash for £1.78 and its made about 40-50 cubes which just now is 25 portions of food.

I think pouches/jars have their place and I would use them out and about but they aren't for everyday for me. They are so smooth I think C would end up rejecting what I cooked as its impossible for me to get it so lump-free as they do. Xx

I attempted a chicken, veg and rice soup for LO today and put some cheese in as well for extra calcium. It's textured without big lumps and she seems to quite like it. Good job, really, as there's so much, she'll be eating it for the next month!:D

Don't see the harm in giving ready made pouches or jarred foods as its not done my lo any harm at all...he's healthy and defo getting everything he needs just as much as he would with homemade foods. Don't gete wrong I have and do give him stuff I've made but not as often as other ppl might. Each to there own tho as at the end of the day,it's ur baby and u do what's right for u x

I gave Alice jars in the early months, if you read the ingredients there wasn't anything in i wouldn't add myself. And then as she was older started mashing up our meals for her. Infact i have just been given a bag full of jars for LO when she is old enough from my friend. And i would eat meat that has been in a jar that long, i love corned beef and hot dogs! xx

Home made with pouches for emergencies. I rarely eat ready meals myself so I wouldn't feed them to the children. I am also wary of the amount of salt, additives, preservatives that's in them. The jars and pouches are so much smoother in texture than anything I can make, and I've had problems in the past with children that then won't take "normal" food.

I used to cook an extra big Sunday dinner and throw half of everything into a huge saucepan and blend it all up then freeze it, everything we ate went in, the meat was chopped up tiny before so the blender could manage it. My kids adored it and every day when I defrosted it and warmed it up the smell was just divine! I'm sure that's why my kids love stuffing because I used to put loads in it. It was like a Sunday dinner was being cooked daily and occasionally I used to defrost 2 pots just so I could have one myself as well lmao!

I just didn't like tinned/jarred/packet foods and always preferred to make my own. I don't blame people who do use ready made though as it is a lot less time consuming and they are certainly not bad for babies if you buy the good quality x

I only give the occasional fruit pot mostly so she tries fruits that are out of season and difficult to get.
I don't give jars for various reasons. I try each one of them. All the sweet ones taste fine as they are sweet all the savory ones are completely tasteless in my opinion, watered down and I hate the taste of them. The ingredients are just fine, no additives etc and yet you cook the sale at home and your mouth is watering and you open a jar and its completely tasteless. How do they do that I don't get it??? Over boil them to get the smooth texture and they loose their taste? I don't know but I doubt that its as healthy as the home cocked fresh one.

I want Amelie to get used to homemade food that tastes much stronger it has herbs etc and that's what she is going to eat for the rest of her life so she better learn to like it. I heard if baby's rejecting eventually homemade food as they got so used to the jars. It was a thread not long ago in baby and toddler about that.

Meat jars...well judging from the amount of protein that they contain they barely contain any meat... Nth to compare with 1/4 of chicken breast and the amount of iron and protein that a homemade meal gives you.

Texture well they are just too smooth and does no favor at all at the development of eating or speech skills. I could never get my fruit purée as smooth as jars so she just learnt to have texture then lumps then mashed and now at jus before 7 m she eats just chopped in tiny pieces and finger foods. Some babies that they have only jars thy tend to gag badly and reject lumps though I am sure that they eventually get there just a pain that I feel that can be avoided in my opinion.

I have nth against to anyone that gives jars but Its jot for me for all the above reasons. I opened loads of jars when I did t have time to cook for her. I tried them, hated them and have them to the puppy that was very pleased I may add lool.
Now I cook every other day for her 2 days chicken/turkey (one week I do turkey next chicken), 2 days fish, 2 days beef/lamb, 1 day a non animal protein meal.
She has for breakfast 2-3 blended fruits thickened if needed with some baby porridge and finger food toast soldiers dipped in runny egg yolk (in uk they advice runny eggs after 1 year, in Norway apparently we are more resilient and we can give them from 6 m)
Lunch is a protein meal with finger food fruit
Dinner is either a yogurt or a porridge and finger foods from our dinner.

My lo is also great with lumps and finger foods so I doubt getting jars/pouches are anything to do with it. Anyway my lo is happy with what Jr gets and I'm not going to change it

Well its up to you, never I suggested that you did :) because is not up to my expectations it Dosent mean that its not suitable for your gorgeous little man.

I only give the occasional fruit pot mostly so she tries fruits that are out of season and difficult to get.
I don't give jars for various reasons. I try each one of them. All the sweet ones taste fine as they are sweet all the savory ones are completely tasteless in my opinion, watered down and I hate the taste of them. The ingredients are just fine, no additives etc and yet you cook the sale at home and your mouth is watering and you open a jar and its completely tasteless. How do they do that I don't get it??? Over boil them to get the smooth texture and they loose their taste? I don't know but I doubt that its as healthy as the home cocked fresh one.

I want Amelie to get used to homemade food that tastes much stronger it has herbs etc and that's what she is going to eat for the rest of her life so she better learn to like it. I heard if baby's rejecting eventually homemade food as they got so used to the jars. It was a thread not long ago in baby and toddler about that.

Meat jars...well judging from the amount of protein that they contain they barely contain any meat... Nth to compare with 1/4 of chicken breast and the amount of iron and protein that a homemade meal gives you.

Texture well they are just too smooth and does no favor at all at the development of eating or speech skills. I could never get my fruit purée as smooth as jars so she just learnt to have texture then lumps then mashed and now at jus before 7 m she eats just chopped in tiny pieces and finger foods. Some babies that they have only jars thy tend to gag badly and reject lumps though I am sure that they eventually get there just a pain that I feel that can be avoided in my opinion.

I have nth against to anyone that gives jars but Its jot for me for all the above reasons. I opened loads of jars when I did t have time to cook for her. I tried them, hated them and have them to the puppy that was very pleased I may add lool.
Now I cook every other day for her 2 days chicken/turkey (one week I do turkey next chicken), 2 days fish, 2 days beef/lamb, 1 day a non animal protein meal.
She has for breakfast 2-3 blended fruits thickened if needed with some baby porridge and finger food toast soldiers dipped in runny egg yolk (in uk they advice runny eggs after 1 year, in Norway apparently we are more resilient and we can give them from 6 m)
Lunch is a protein meal with finger food fruit
Dinner is either a yogurt or a porridge and finger foods from our dinner.

Exactly this. The jars don't smell or taste like proper food. I just make a bathc of veg and fruit on a Sunday then freeze it. Then during the week just add the veggies to whatever we are having (chicken, fish, meat etc) Or like tonight we had pizza, so for Logan I defrosted the permade cauliflower and added cheese sauce x

I've never used jars so I can't comment on the smell/taste but some of the concoctions make me heave to think about eating it. ;)
I've always made my own, it's 100 times cheaper and I know exactly what is going in to it.
Lots of jarred food was recalled not so long ago at our asda (I saw a huge sign on the way in) saying that shards of glass had been found in jars of baby food. All I could think was "thank god I've never used them"!
For the same price I can buy a tonne of fresh produce and make my own to freeze.
I agree hope, the neat content in the "meat" jars is minimal, it's just a rip off! xx

I take it back. Eva gagged at my lovely creation. Made a bigger pot for me and oh and it was pretty rank (oh said it smelt like farts) so ended up flushed down the loo... I made about 10 litres as well lol.

I shall not be beaten.

She eats toast etc so lumps are fine but maybe she does just like the bland super smooth food. Then again, it's maybe just my cooking :confused:

I make 90% of meals. I do have some Ella's Kitchen pouches, and I have Heinz pots there in a 2 pack. He likes them. I keep them if we have been out and I don't have time to make him anything. I usually take an Ella's kitchen pouch for lunch if we're out and about.
W usually just gets whatever we are having. I don't really freeze meals for him though. I just make small portions. That does dinner and one for the next day in fridge.xx

Ill just add one cheat i found was i bought a bag of frozen veg and threw loads in a pan to cook quick and add a cheese sauce or gravy. I read frozen veg is just as good as if i cooked veg then froze it for her its still frozen ifygwm? It was a lot quicker than chopping pealing and cooking fresh and it was already prepared x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back