Jacob David - Born at 34w+6

Sproglett

Reaction score
Hi my name is Sally, i'm 25 and married to Mikey (32) and we've had our first baby after 3 previous losses (1 mmc, 1 ectopic & 1 mc). We stayed team yellow thoroughly the pregnancy then Jacob surprised us with his eager entrance 5w1d early.

Jacob David was due sunday 9th September 2012 but after my waters spontaneously broke on Friday 3rd August at 8:50am followed by spending a day in hospital and my contractions starting at midday Saturday 4th August, he made his appearance at 9:05pm 04/08/2012 weighing 5lbs 10oz and he was taken straight to neonatal.

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 799x596 and weights 119KB.
85c51bf2.jpg

I had a shower and had stitches etc and then we were then taken to see our little boy on neo natal where he was in an incubator, about 1:25am I went to ward leaving my baby boy on neonatal to try and get some sleep, I was heartbroken I wanted him next to me, I couldn't believe he was not with me.

The following morning I went down to the ward to see my baby boy and was surprised to see that he had 3 blue phototherapy lights glaring at him and was wearing an eye mask, The nurse approached me and told me that he had a problem with his blood, he has ABO incompatibility and my blood had got into his system whilst I was pregnant and had started to kill his red blood cells, this was noticed with a "bilirubin" test that showed very high jaundice levels (jaundice is a side effect of ABO) the levels were border line blood transfusion level and the lights were on him to bring the levels down.

55B356E9-3524-4BE6-A13A-86B5FB061C48-444-0000013CD2FB98FC.jpg

On the 7th August, we were allowed to cuddle our little boy briefly whilst the staff changed his sheets on his bed, he was now only on 2 phototherapy lights, by the 9th, he was down to 1 light and was moved from intensive care to high dependency, we were so pleased with his progress so far, although the nurses moved him from an incubator to a cot because they were worried as he had a high temperature, so he was put onto antibiotics.

On the 10th August Jacob's jaundice levels were dropping slowly, so his phototherapy light were turned off and he was no longer in an eye mask, (which means he was in clothes too), they took the ECG monitor off and he was no longer on drip and he was allowed full breast feeding.

3A2B981B-F5F5-45E3-B15F-00309B499CF9-444-0000013CD751BBF1.jpg

11th August Jacob was moved to special care from high dependency, he was still on antibiotics but was doing really well. On the 12th August Jacob had to have his phototherapy light turned back on as his levels started to rise again, but on a more positive note, by the night, Mikey and I were given parent accommodation at the hospital and Jacob was staying in the room with us.

The next few days went by quicker, and I was able to feed Jacob through the night as well as during the day time, it was amazing to be able to finally feel like his mum rather than a visitor.

15B714B8-EB47-4F65-B747-E1A75FDA97FC-311-0000001EDA7994F1.jpg

By the 16th August the hospital were happy with Jacob's progress and we were able to bring him home, he was still under neonatal care, and the nurses came out once to twice weekly, we also have to keep taking him back to hospital for general checkups.

E23BE604-0338-4432-925E-ECB426D45F8D-311-0000001ED6CACF05.jpg

17th August we ended up back in the hospital, after Jacob decided to scare the living daylights out of us by choking then not breathing and goin floppy, it was only for a few seconds but wanted to get him checked he was fine, silly sausage.

Since leaving the hospital the nurses came round to check on Jacob and he still has bloods at the hospital. On 19th September his weight was up to 7lbs 10oz and putting on approximately 9oz a week. He's breast feeding really well and slept most of the night, he usually woke once to twice a night depending on the time he takes his last feed. Now he sleeps through, and has done for approx 5 weeks.

C5655C7E-C202-4D21-AB60-0C6CA30A31EA-311-0000001EB984B43D.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 799x596 and weights 114KB.
4EC17FF5-507E-458B-9DD1-3FEB8A133D97-444-0000013CE02C07C1.jpg

E93B499B-D256-4F68-A95F-5C2026EE6F38-169-0000001FBDF4689D.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 799x597 and weights 113KB.
ACBFF59A-169F-4A77-B6C5-CD3B1A7E377B-169-0000001FCB725575.jpg

Sorry this ones a bit blury...

CD8670D2-1940-4E85-9C94-BE57EA05B685-169-0000001FCF6B3ECF.jpg

Jacob is doing really well now, please read and follow my full pregnancy journal (the link is in my signature)

Your boy is beautiful!!!!

Here is my boy, Ollie, born also at 34+6 on 27th October weighing 6lb 3oz!!
He also needed phototherapy and were still having blood tests every few days as he is still jaundice but he is home :)

My waters broke, and I got an infection and so did Ollie he got distressed and they had to speed up my labour. He was taken straight to the NICU and the first time I saw him I was distraught and heartbroken. He had ECG monitor NG feeding tube and IV lines for antibiotics.

It was the worst experience of my life and I've struggled to deal with it but Ollie is strong and is doing so well. He won't remember any of it but I certainly will. I found it so hard seeing him so tiny and vulnerable in the incubator and hated leaving him. I tried to spend as much time as possible by his side but was physically and emotionally exhausted but I felt so guilty leaving him.

I've felt an enormous amount of guilt that my body failed to protect him and that it was somehow my fault he came early. I've really struggled with it.

But the love I feel for him is indescribable and I feel so protective.

He is home now and doing really well and I am such a proud mummy!!!

Was lovely to read your story as our experiences were similar. Hope your little one is doing well. Beautiful pictures!!!!!

xxxx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 48
Another pic :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 24
And another :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 26
Ladies!! Thanks for sharing your stories with us!! Those little men just couldn't wait to meet their mummies :D
They are both so gorgeous :D xxxx

Another pic :)

Thanks Andreabrad for sharing your story hunny, Jacob was the same with the ECG feeding tube and IV, I have a photo very similar to this of him, they've both done so well. How long was Ollie in NICU? Jacob did 12 days, I felt like I'd failed when my waters went so early, but also was mega excited I was gonna meet my little baby.

Thanks Jaxx01 for your support. X

We were in 9 days the jaundice was and is still a problem.

The guilt feeling is awful, something others can't quite understand till they experience it themselves.

I really struggled in the first few days. Couldn't stop crying. Felt like such a failure and he was so little and I just wanted to cuddle him and take him home. It still makes me cry when the nurse comes to take his blood. When he cries I can't help but think 'I've caused this' and that feeling is awful.

But your boy & mine were obviously strong as they pulled through :) xxx

This is true, Jacob now being anaemic still has to go for bloods

Lovely stories ladies. Beautiful boys! I especially love the picture of Jacob in his teddy dungarees! Very cute!

My little boy was born at 35 weeks (6lb 3oz) after a very challenging pregnancy and a massive blood loss on the operating table (which was expected, we knew it would be an issue) so we had the neonatal stint too, I can fully empathise.

My LO managed to put on 10oz between week 2 weigh and week 3 weigh, so we are hoping he takes off now weight wise.

We were worried sick over weight gain (or initial lack of, he lost about 8% after one week and got back to birth weight by week 2), jaundice levels, glucose results and we were also told he had digestive problems to start but it turned out to be because they were forcing feed down a tube too quick and it was making him sick, once we insisted he was bottle fed when I couldn't breast feed the throwing up stopped.

I've had a few milk supply issues, combination of illness, blood loss and an infection, but we are doing okay with the combi feeding and we are up at about 80% breast milk now. Another thing I felt terrible about as I desperately wanted to exclusively breast feed, I just wasn't well enough and am still recovering.

It's quite an experience having an early baby, but we are both doing much better than expected and I've had to modify my expectations of myself.

Thanks for your story hunny, Jacob lost 7oz in the first few days its really distressing isn't it, so glad your little one is doing well - and that weight gain of 10oz is really good, is your little boy home now?

Yes he is home now. I kicked up a fuss and we got him home on day 5 but had to keep taking him in for checks for a while.

The first three days at home where so hard, I was getting over the shock and had a bit of a 'OMFG I only just survived' wobble, plus being borderline hysterical that they might want to re admit him at any moment. Plus the guilt. I had an elective c-section because I had the worst possible placed placenta (anterior with the back edge covering my cervix), my body wasn't going to hold out much longer and I needed the best surgeon they had to stand any chance of avoiding a hysterectomy (or worse, dying) and it needed to be calm and not rushed. I was severely anaemic too which made the bleed situation worse. I felt so guilty that we planned to take him out early (my organs were packing up, I couldn't keep anything down it all came back up), but it's better than us both not making it or me leaving my little boy mummy-less. I just about managed to keep my uterus (I lost 40% of my blood volume) so I felt quite emotional about that too!

It's such a roller coster! Once we hit 8lb I think I'll feel more confident.

I'm a first time mummy (and can't risk having another :cry:) so I've nothing to compare this experience too, but fighting so hard for him both during pregnancy and since he's been born makes him even more special to me. I frequently loose whole days just cuddling him, I couldn't bare to put him down for the first 10 days!

I'm sure you girlies feel the same way about your baby boys?

It's not easy having a prem baby!!

Ollie was also very sick and wasn't digesting the milk properly and I asked to stop the NG feed and try breastfeeding and the sickness stopped. I really wanted to breastfeed too but he wouldn't latch on every time and he got frustrated so I ended up expressing every 2-3 hours. I am going to try again and get him to latch on. If it doesn't work I will just continue to express. It's hard work but worth it!! xx

Yeah deffo agree, Jacob was under so much phototherapy as he was border line blood transfusion that I had to express for the first 6days as I wasn't allowed to take him out the incubator, it was horrible, luckily when he finally was allowed to breast feed Jacob knew just what to do.

Ha ha I gotta update that! On iPad so don't see it! Thanks for reminding me! X

I loose days too just cuddling, smelling, touching my baby boy. He is absolutely amazing and I am completely in love xx

It's nice to speak to someone who's experienced the same as me!

Yea it is nice as speaking to friends family etc they don't quite understand.

My mum found it difficult seeing him in the incubator she lives 100 miles away and came down as soon as I asked her too. I was really nervous taking her into the NICU as I diddnt know how she would react. When she saw him she cried, which made me cry, but she couldn't wait to touch him and she cried when she held him for the first time too!!

xx

Awww hun, I didn't go down to NICU with my mom, or dad and step-mum, unfortunately I was on a drip when they got there and was due a change so I didn't get to see their reaction but I remember clear as anything their faces when they came back up to my ward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back