ivf referral appointment

TINKS82

Reaction score
We have our ivf referral appt tomorrow, but cant help feeling down about it, why do I feel like this I should be feeling Possitive! I guess I still cant believe I am still without a family after 3 years, when everyone around me already has theirs. How can I snap myself out of this? I need to be positive.

Any tips as to what to ask at our last appointment? Xx

Last edited:
Don't be harsh on yourself for feeling down about the apt. Seeing the consultant brings a realisation that TTC is not going to be straight forward I felt the same but was worse after the apts as the information booklets always seemed to scare me.
Hopefully the clinic will have an action plan for you. Let us know how you get on.
X

Its understandable that you are feeling down. We had our appt at the private clinic yesterday to discuss fertility treatment. Then I come in to work and have to sit opposite a colleague who fell pregnant after just 4 months. We were talking last year about TTC, I'd already been trying for a year and she said she wasn't ready yet. Then in that time she suddenly became ready and BAM, she's pregnant!

One positive thing I can think of is that people who have babies through fertility treatment will feel grateful every day of their lives, whilst people who had it easy might not appreciate it so much and not have so much joy in their children.

I should have been getting referred today but my nan booked me a last minute holiday to try relax me. I'm now being referred 21st August! I'm interested to see what people say on this thread! Xx

I should have been getting referred today but my nan booked me a last minute holiday to try relax me. I'm now being referred 21st August! I'm interested to see what people say on this thread! Xx

How do you feel about that?!

About the date changing? Or about the ivf? I was kind of relieved in a way because it gives me another 2 months on clomid to maybe get my BFP before ivf. Think ivf is going to be the best option for us tho xx

I sometimes pretend that I have just started TTC, and then it doesnt make me feel as bad haha x

I think I'm making myself feel worse as I keep thinking of the negatives, like what if it doesnt work as we only get 1 shot at it before we have to pay! I need to try snd change my attitude otherwise it wont work. Maybe its just my defence mechanism? Xx

About the date changing? Or about the ivf? I was kind of relieved in a way because it gives me another 2 months on clomid to maybe get my BFP before ivf. Think ivf is going to be the best option for us tho xx

About your nan booking you a holiday to relax you. Are you happy about it or annoyed about the delay?

About your nan booking you a holiday to relax you. Are you happy about it or annoyed about the delay?

Happy! I needed to de stress myself! I haven't been in a positive frame of mind this month. It just means I get a couple more months on clomid to try get my BFP. I'm 26 so waiting 2 more months isn't a problem really. Time to get myself in a better frame of mind! Xx

We had our referral appt today. We signed the funding forms and hopefully will hear in a couple of weeks. There is no waiting list so can start as soon as we get the letter. They said we'd have an initial appointment with the consultant and nurse plus any test like hep a/b etc then treatment can start. Consultant said probaby in the autumn (sept). Feel quite positive today as have been feeling down about it all, but its all going in the right direction. They will even include freezing left over eggs we have which is great news.Roll on aautumn :) im ready, bring on the ivf! Anyone else going to start around the same time? Xx

Last edited:
I'm hoping to get clomid for a couple of months, then possibly IUI if DH's motility result comes back low. Then if that doesn't work I might be having IVF in the autumn too!

Glad your appointment went well :) It's really good news that they'll freeze any eggs left over. I think if we get referred for IVF we only have one shot at it as well. Does that mean you will have the chance of a frozen cycle as well? Would you have to pay for it? Sorry for all the questions!!

I think it's important to believe it will work to give yourself the best chance. Wishing you lots of luck xx

Glad your appointment went well :) It's really good news that they'll freeze any eggs left over. I think if we get referred for IVF we only have one shot at it as well. Does that mean you will have the chance of a frozen cycle as well? Would you have to pay for it? Sorry for all the questions!!

I think it's important to believe it will work to give yourself the best chance. Wishing you lots of luck xx

Yeah we use the eggs and pay for frozen cycles, which are £900 each but at least we wouldn't have to pay for a full cycle. I just hope we get enough eggs to freeze. He said they like to get between 10-12 eggs. Does anyone know how long eggs can be frozen for before deterioration starts?
Where do u come under for treatment? I questioned why we dont get more when the guidance says up to 3, he said he thinks its a scandal and could get on his soap box all day about it. I thought it was nice to know hes backing couples every step of the way. He said hes fighting along with other consultants in neighbouring county's for couples to get afrozen cycle funded if they only get 1 full cycle. I hope they win the battle! Xx

Last edited:
I come under Stockport and I think they now offer one cycle but I haven't had this confirmed yet, this is just what a friend has told me. Until last year Stockport didn't fund IVF at all!! A lot of boroughs in Greater Manchester fund 3 cycles, it is just so unfair that it comes down to your bloody postcode!

I'm not sure about how long frozen eggs last but I'm sure someone will be able to advise. £900 versus the cost of full IVF is great though xx

Can u not look up ur pct in ur area? It may tell u. Fingers crossed ur friend is right xx

I've just googled it and found a 2013 policy for Stockport which states they will fund 2 cycles plus any frozen. Hoping that is right!! We're seeing the consultant in a couple of weeks so hopefully we'll find out more then xx

On frozen embryos I don't know if it varies but on our freezing permission form it was 5 or 10 years. You can keep them longer but that was the allowance with our nhs cycles.

On frozen embryos I don't know if it varies but on our freezing permission form it was 5 or 10 years. You can keep them longer but that was the allowance with our nhs cycles.

Wow that long, I thought it would only be a year or something. Its quite amazing that they last that long, I wonder how successful the thaw is the longer u leave them.

Hope ur well scotch, cant believe ur 24 weeks. Did u know kaykay has had her baby boy?, he came 8 days early xx

Last edited:
They're pretty stable when frozen, it's the freeze/thaw where the most risk is.

I know - time is flying. I think after waiting so long pregnancy feels like no time at all, it's certainly flying by for me.

So pleased KayKay's little one arrived safe, I'll have to go and congratulate her :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back