IVF overseas

Sydney

Reaction score
As the heading says, has anyone had or considered IVF overseas? I'm considering Europe at this point as it seems so much cheaper!! Not quite at the point of being eligible for NHS treatment so thinking of just getting going privately.

Hi Sydney,

There is definitely someone on this forum who went abroad and is now preggers but I can't remember her username!
If I remember I'll tag her in your post.

From my experience so far I find that the appointments at the clinic are early morning and my period took longer to show than expected so I'm running two days behind where I thought I'd be. I only started my injections this morning and already we've been 4 times -
  • initial consultation
  • blood test that my GP missed
  • signing consent paperwork
  • Prostrap injection and learning how to mix medication
So I think you'd probably be back and forward a lot or have to pay for hotel wherever you were having treatment for a few weeks at least because its not so predictable that you'd know a scan was happening on X date, then another scan two days later. I get my next scan a week today and I only found that out this morning, its an as you go thing.

It would also be worth investigating if they'll accept your current test results or if they insist on doing their own bloods / semen etc as that would be costs.

Final thing to think about is find out if they have an online portal that has all your information in. We signed up with one clinic and had all the tests done and they were a nightmare at communicating which made it all mega stressful (They said we were to phone for results, then when we phoned they said they'd have to send out a letter, then that the doctor was on holiday so we'd have to wait a week. A total stress filled palava!)
Thankfully that clinic was bought over and the new owner is a million times better. I can sign into the website and view my records, there's videos for how to mix the medication, there's a treatment calendar to refer to. Its much better.

xx

I’ve discussed this with a friend who works in a fertility clinic, she said that she has had a lot of ladies come to her after trying abroad and heard a few horror stories.

Firstly they aren’t regulated in the same way as us so they can be a bit shady about costs, they lure you in with a cheap price and then you end up paying a fortune in undisclosed fees.

Obviously she’s a bit biased, but I do think it is another layer of stress when you have to fly for an appointment, it’s stressful enough me getting to my appointments because they are an hours drive!

I have been happy with my clinic, top notch treatment and very affordable prices. x

I had my first round with a local UK clinic privately which was unsuccessful as we weren't eligible for NHS and then went to serum in Athens and I cannot speak highly enough of them ! The whole experience from start to finish is brilliant !

Our first cycle with them in 2016 we were sooo lucky to have twin boys and we are now currently in Athens following another cycle and currently in the tww they give so much more than at home, and treat you as a person rather than a number with money which we found in the UK xx

Thanks so much for all of your replies and input. I've found a great clinic which we are looking to proceed with. I don't need to go out multiple times or anything for the first cycle. I've got a friend that also went there for IVF and now has two children and is really happy with the care she received. They've always been very upfront about the cost and no hidden extras.

I'm anticipating my IVF from a stimulation point of view will go well as I think my issue is tubal (lack of one) and potentially a little age related too. Excited to get going now!

Over my time on this forum i think quite a few people have been to Serum? Not sure which country it is but know of success stories.

Good luck x

As the heading says, has anyone had or considered IVF overseas? I'm considering Europe at this point as it seems so much cheaper!! Not quite at the point of being eligible for NHS treatment so thinking of just getting going privately.
'
Hello Sydney I went to Cyprus. Where did you go? I hope it gave you your baby. In my case, I stayed there for 10 days. Tests were done here at home and communication done online. My clinic, Dunya IVF, replies fast. I had my own coordinator. They accept previous tests too. Let me know if you still need help. But it would be great if you hop back in here to tell us you already have your baby!:)

My friend who I met on this forum actually, has had two successful cycles in Athens. I can ask her for the information if you like as she’s extremely happy with the care and treatment they received. X

I've had two very successful cycles with serum in Athens resulting in my 3 year old twins & 7 week old little one
They are amazing!

Sorry I don't seem to have replied to anything for a while!

We did proceed with our IVF abroad and it resulted in 3 embryos. The first, fresh transfer was an ectopic (my second). The second bfn. The third was transferred last week and I'm in the tww arrrgghhh!!

I've posted an early squinter of a test in the Am I Pregnant section. I'm going crazy!! x

We did proceed with our IVF abroad and it resulted in 3 embryos. The first, fresh transfer was an ectopic (my second). The second bfn. The third was transferred last week and I'm in the tww arrrgghhh!!

I've posted an early squinter of a test in the Am I Pregnant section. I'm going crazy!! x
Thanks for popping back in Sydney! Let's all pray on this one!:pray:

Sydney what's the result? I might not find your other post and it would be nice if you updated this one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back