IVF in the South East?

Pebbles11

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
Wondered if anyone could share any experiences with having fertility treatment in the south east? I’ve tried to look up info and think you only get one free go on the nhs if 40-42 yrs of age? I am slightly over and really worried now, I have first appointment at fertility clinic in December and just trying to prepare myself! I have no children and my partner has 2 young children.
Any info will be much appreciated x

If your partner already has children I don't think you will be eligible on the NHS unfortunately.

If time is not on your side, I would urgently make an appointment with a private clinic (sounds like you have?) My ivf clinic stats show very poor outcomes for women 43+.

I'd also advise to start prepping on a super healthy diet and reduce exposure to toxins.

Xxx

Last edited:
Ok thanks ladies, I told my doctor the situation and she put it through as urgent, but still appointment is December. Would I still be able to get an appointment to then be told they can’t help??

Unfortunately I think so... I think they might be able to send you for tests on the nhs though, but don’t quote me on that! From looking at the table, the south east only fund up to the age of 42 and only if both you and your partner have no children :( some parts of the south east don’t fund anyone at all.. postcode lottery!
I definitely think it’s worth still going to the appointment as they’ll be able to advise you of your options. Sorry, this whole process sucks xx

Definitely look at Fertility Fairness as it's your CCG that counts as funding criteria can vary a lot and it is pretty rubbish in the South East. It may not tell you what you want to hear but as least you'll know where you stand.

When you say your doctor referred you, I assume you mean you GP? If so it is likely they will have done an urgent referral to the NHS fertility clinic. As Peony says, you should still be entitled to NHS investigations despite all the other factors but not treatment. Of couse you could still be referred for IVF but as a private patient.

We are South East and were referred to the NHS Fertility Clinic after basic tests at the GP. We then had further investigations and were then referred for IVF. This would have been at a private clinic but our one cycle would have been funded by the NHS.

Definitely worth going to the appointment but I think realistic expectations are important. The NHS can be painfully slow and as time is not on your side, you may want to consider going private sooner if that's something you would be in a position to consider.

I hope that's helpful.

Yes my GP referred me to nhs clinic. Didn’t realise my partner having children goes against me as well. I saw another GP after ttc a year and she wasn’t too concerned, said only after 18 months to two years will they start looking into things further. So I waited and recently saw another doctor who has taken me more seriously. I had blood test a year ago and all fine, I went and had a fertility’scan earliar this year and all was good, just waiting on results of repeat blood tests. I’m not sure private is an option I will have to look into it.
Yes this sucks beyond belief!

Yes my GP referred me to nhs clinic. Didn’t realise my partner having children goes against me as well. I saw another GP after ttc a year and she wasn’t too concerned, said only after 18 months to two years will they start looking into things further. So I waited and recently saw another doctor who has taken me more seriously. I had blood test a year ago and all fine, I went and had a fertility’scan earliar this year and all was good, just waiting on results of repeat blood tests. I’m not sure private is an option I will have to look into it.
Yes this sucks beyond belief!

GPs really irritate me with their lack of knowledge!! Women over 35 should be offered investigations after 6 months and women under 35 after a year.

The whole process sucks and it really is a postcode lottery. We didn't have a good experience with NHS fertility either so it just irritates me even more.

Yeah, I was having a bad week when I saw last GP so she had no choice but to take notice! I never wanted to be in this position but met love of my life only 3 and half years ago, I know time is against me but didn’t realise be so hard to get help...or not at all. I’m so frustrated and sad.

Yeah, I was having a bad week when I saw last GP so she had no choice but to take notice! I never wanted to be in this position but met love of my life only 3 and half years ago, I know time is against me but didn’t realise be so hard to get help...or not at all. I’m so frustrated and sad.

It really is so difficult on top of everything else you will be going through. We were very lucky not to need the IVF in the end but we really learnt some lessons along the way. Pushing hard for what you want and are entitled to being one of them. It definitely pays for you to do your research so you know what to expect and when to push if needed. CCGs usually won't fund IVF until you've been trying for 2 years but GPs seem to confuse this with basic investigations. It comes up time and again on here that GPs just fob women off especially those over 35.

Hi Pebbles

I'm sorry it's such a difficult message for you.

To give you a ballpark, to do one round of IVF in London will set you back about 5k (or more depending where you go). IVF is definitely not a silver bullet - I've had about 5 or 6 rounds now and just 1 baby out of all of that.

IUI is a lot cheaper but I haven't heard of many people having success with that approach & I've been on these boards a long time.

Depending exactly how old you are (I can't quite tell from your message), I'd say waiting on the NHS is going to be a waste of time, although they may be able to run some tests, so I'd personally advocate looking into different options and making plans based on the assumption that NHS will be of limited (or too slow) assistance.

I'd also read up on all the non-clinical things you can do to improve your chances (Not just taking multi-vitamin tablets, but other supplements such as vitamin D, CoQ10, reducing sugar in your diet, etc) - I thought this blog has a lot of info: https://www.tomakeamommy.com/

Wish I could write something more positive but feel it would be so much worse if you were made to wait and then found out there was nothing they could do to help you. Honestly - if your partner has children, they are pretty much guaranteed to not fund a round of IVF (edit: although I see from peony's spreadsheet that's not always the case, so fingers crossed); I seem to recall the eligibility check coming in the first appointment at the hospital, it's not for the GP to decide.

Wishing you all the best xxx and big hugs xxxxx

Last edited:
I totally agree with you tinselcat - I think you just worded it a lot better!!

The reason I was going on about GPs is I was assuming from her posts the she was just over her 42nd birthday. Of course I could be wrong. Also states she was fobbed off by her GP around a year ago. Of course where exactly she lives is important but if she does live in an area that would fund women up to age 42 when their partner already has children then the GP has done her a massive disservice!! It may be irrelevant as if she lived in my area the cut off is 35 and both partners can't have children already. It still gets under my skin though as what if a 34 year old approached that same GP after a year? They'd have been told to come back in a year by which point they'd be over 35 when referred and no longer eligible for funding.

We actually didn't discuss anything about eligibility until we were actually ready to be referred for IVF. I did all my own research which is why I'm saying be prepared. Perhaps it was because we were an easy case in that respect as I'm only 32 now and neither of us have children but it was most likely because they were useless.

Pebbles - if you are keen for further investigations and are prepared to wait for those to be NHS funded, then the appointment may be of some use. If you just want to get on with IVF then I would be looking at your options privately. Also I would look at lifestyle changes as tinselcat suggests either way.

I think children from a previous relationship means that you don’t qualify for IVF on the NHS anywhere at the moment. You may qualify for some investigations through the NHS BUT I am not sure you are able to access them all.

It’s also worth thinking that if you go to a private clinic, they can do the investigations and actually there may be no need for IVF but rather some other treatment. If you do go private though I don’t think the NHS will provide any investigations once you’ve been seen privately?

I looked up the chart Peony sent and I’m basically doomed with regards to nhs. I’m 44 and partner has 2 young children so that’s me out then. Looks like private may be my only option and I’m not sure financially we could do it. Seems so unfair that I would be penalised because he has children with someone else, that I can’t have help. I knew my age was a massive factor but with that as well!
We are both healthy, non smokers don’t drink much, I have a healthy diet, though I could cut back on sugar. Im currently taking coq10, omega 3 and Dha and a prenatal. Over the 2 years ttc I’ve tried everything I can think of, my periods are regular to the day and I ovulate.
I guess I’ll keep appointment and see what they say, at least I’m a little prepared now. Then go from there privately if we have the option.

I literally don’t know how I will cope if it never happens for me.

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear about your problems - I don't qualify for IVF on NHS either unfortunately. I don't really know about the South East but I've started looking at private clinics abroad. I'm considering Spain or Cyprus as it is much more affordable there.
Will you tell us how your appointment went?

Ah thanks, yes will do though not holding out much hope. Been looking into private clinics locally as well but they seem to have an age limit too. Yes I’ve read on here about clinics in Spain being very good. Let me know how you get on.
Just had results of my 21 day blood test and all normal.

This is the frustrating thing, we are both healthy I am ovulating with no problems but just seem stuck wherever I turn x

Aw hun please don't despair.
I really thing the waiting is the worst... I don't remember the age limit in Spain but in Cyprus I've talked to clinics that treat women up to 52. Have you heard of the British woman who got pregnant with twins after a treatment in Cyprus?
Alternatively, are you going to attend the Fertility Show in London on Nov. 3 and 4? There are going to be local and foreign fertility clinics. One clinic from Cyprus (called Bahceci?? I think) that is attenting the show offered me a free consultation on site with one of their IVF experts. You might consider attending and getting a first opinion while waiting for your December consultation?

I have no personal experiences with IVF clinics in Spain, but I am very happy with my clinic from Poland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back