I've started combi feeding!!

CARNAT22

Reaction score
I have a very hungry boy and I just can't meet his demands via expressing anymore.

We've started having one or two formula feeds over the past few days and the difference it has made - to me - is amazing.

Expressing has been hard work, I struggle to get 4fl oz sometimes or else it takes a long time.

I thought I'd feel guilty but I actually feel relieved... bub is still getting 90% breastmilk but I am also now able to get that little bit more rest. It was soul destroying having to set an alarm for half an hour before bub is due up so I can express!

Sadly feeding from the breast didn't work for us, but I am happy with the way things are going.

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Happy mum = happy baby

I'm glad you've found something that's making life a bit easier. My HV told me baby should be taking 2.5oz for every lb of body weight in every 24 hour period. My LO is taking WAY more than that, he's having much more like 3.5oz for every lb, so I know how you feel re hungry baby! It's hard going!

I agree. Happy mummy = happy baby. Wot more can u ask for. :)

I'm jealous as my LO refuses bottle never mind formula. Hoping that wen I start weaning he'll take sippy cup if not bottle. FX

Using Tapatalk. Can't see tickers.

I swear by happy mum = happy baby too

I really struggled giving LO good feeds from 4pm -9 he would just cluster feed & be quite upset too but now he has the breast & top up formula of 4oz around 4pm then breast on demand which is at 6 & 7pm usually then bottle after bath around 9 and he is fine in the evenings now. Plus I feel like he's getting enough and I'm not worrying now.

Sometimes you just have to go with how you feel even if its against what you had in mind. I thought I'd be solely bf but for me this works great & oh does the evening feed so that's nice for him too.

Xxx

whatever works for you hun is best, never feel you have to stop expressing if you choose to feed that way then do it and top up as needed. your baby your decision

I have a very hungry boy and I just can't meet his demands via expressing anymore.

We've started having one or two formula feeds over the past few days and the difference it has made - to me - is amazing.

Expressing has been hard work, I struggle to get 4fl oz sometimes or else it takes a long time.

I thought I'd feel guilty but I actually feel relieved... bub is still getting 90% breastmilk but I am also now able to get that little bit more rest. It was soul destroying having to set an alarm for half an hour before bub is due up so I can express!

Sadly feeding from the breast didn't work for us, but I am happy with the way things are going.

xxxxxxx

Like the other girls have said - whatever makes mummy happy

I do just want to add though on the expressing front - that 4oz is quite a lot for how young James is - so don't beat yourself up about volumes.

I was only getting 2oz when Aaron was that age - and that was on my best express of the day!

Even now, some sessions I'll only get about 4oz, sometimes more, yesterday morning we had 12 and a bloody disaster as the bottles only hold 10 between them :lol:

Yeahy!!!

I'm a great believer in a happy mummy = a happy baby!! Well done :) xxx

I combi fed, so as i see it lo got the best of both worlds.

You need to do what is best for you both, so you are both happy.

:)

XX

Is it normal that James has slightly more with a FF? He has 4oz if it's breast milk but needs 5oz's if it's formula?

xxxxxxxxx

it probably is hun, i wouldnt know as it wasnt latching issues that stopped me bf so i never really gave bottles of bm, i recently had to throw out(!!!!!!!!!!!) all the bm i pumped as id forgotton it was in the freezer from when she was born and every time i tried to defrost some i left it too long and it was manky lol. alyssa always had 5oz bottles and stilldoes now the 1 bottle a day she has

Yep LO gets 3-4 oz of breast milk and 4oz of formula in early afternoon and 5oz as last feed xx

Last edited:
If your happy baby is happy and you will probably produce more milk :) xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back