Itchy hands and feet!

JoeyClare

Reaction score
I've noticed some itching on my hands and feet over the last week. It started off as mild and I put it down to the fact that as I have some rather attractive swollen hands and feet at the moment, that the itching was probably due to this. The humidity hasn't helped either!

The itching has got worse over the last 2 days. Last night I was awake at 4am and scratching my feet with a scourer!! as it was the only thing that gave enough relief. I rang the delivery suite this morning and she's told me to get to my GP urgently for a blood test on my liver function. If it comes back elevated, it might be Obstectric Cholestasis which would put me straight onto consultant care with a likelihood of induction at 37 weeks. Eeek.

So I'm off to see my GP in a few hours where they can hopefully rule that out and put the itching down to another of the delightful symptoms in pregnancy.

I've had this too! I had a test done a couple of weeks ago and they said I was fine so I got some cream from the doctors. Since then though it seems to have got worse, especially on my feet and it is so unsatisfying to scratch because if you do it too hard it hurts and if you don't do it hard enough it just tickles!

I don't know whether because I had the test I am ok or whether it is a condition that can come on at anytime.

Good luck with your test!

Some itching can be normal due to more blood flow etc... but im sute excessive itching can be a sympyom of something..

Good luck with GP and hope its nothing to worry about xxx

i have this to went to triage with the itch after being kept up all night with it and feeling sick. had blood tests lfts and bile acids and had ctg monitor on for about an hour. lfts were normal but bile acid results take longer. i was tto go and see consultant last friday and bile acids were at 3 but it takes a while for the bile acids to show in the blood sometimes weeks so i had the blood tests taken again last friday and will get the results tmrw. make sure you do your research on the condition as it is very misunderstood by a lot of medical professionals. xx

Make sure your GP takes it seriously, my friend had this last year and thought it was down to humidity and it being hot, she had mentioned it to mw a couple of times and she'd adviced to keep cool etc. Anyway she insisted on a blood test at about 37 weeks, they couldnt fit her in for 10 days by which point she was already being induced. And it turns out she had oc.
xxx

I had OC in my pregnancy, my advice would be to get it checked out straight away.
I went straight to maternity triage after a few days itching and they took my bloods at 9pm and I had the results by 9am the next day. I had to take urso and piriton and couldn't drive.
I was due to see the consultant to be induced but he was born the day before my appointment!
Hopefully it's good news for you and it's not OC.

Thanks for the replies.

Just got back from the GP and he seemed a little dismissive. I felt like an irrational pregnant lady! He said it's probably because I'm getting hot and prescribed some cream. However, when I told him the top of my stomach was also itchy, he did print a form for a liver function test. Went to book it at the desk and was told they could do it next Thursday!!! So I'm heading to my hospital first thing tomorrow as they do a drop in and take a number service for blood tests.

At least I can get some results and if it is OC then I can be monitored and if not then I can relax!! In the meantime I'm hoping this cream helps.

I spent 3 and half hours on labour ward last night. i had bloods done and got the results there and then, they said they were normal. I was pleased but surprised. The itching is pretty bad on my hands and feet and fairly bad on my face, head, back, arms, belly etc! They had a doctor come see me with the results, he was really confused as to what is causing it, he suggested I try more cream!

Glad your bloods were ok buggy1. It is really frustrating when they can't explain why it's happening though, especially when you know you still have 4 weeks left! I don't think I'll get the results till Monday at least. Heading down to the walk in at my hospital in a bit. Had to wait in for our car seat to be delivered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back