It;s always the MIL! Rant!

Kylie1007

Reaction score
I have the most awful MIL - in fact my hubby's parents are very odd people and don't think like most people!

My family (parents & bro & auntie/uncle, grandparents) were delighted with our baby and put money into an account for him when he was born.

When my hubby's parents came down they bought him a teddy bear and a baby gro plus a few bits like baby lotion. I asked my hubby if that was all they were going to do for their first grandchild and was told "Well they are going to give him some money for Xmas, they can't afford the same as your family,"

Fair enough? I thought so. However yesterday they could afford to buy a new flatscreen Sony Bravia TV for £400...It makes me MAD! All a matter of priorities... :wall: :wall: :twisted: :evil:

I don't like to go on about it to my hubby because I think he is embarassed by them and they are still his parents after all.

neither of my kids grandparent have given them any money and i wouldnt expect them too

i dont know the circumstances hun but i think what they brought was quite enough

My parents haven't put any money into my son's account but have just bought a load of new stuff for their house, they buy him bits here and there and i am greatful for that as i know they cant afford as much as my oh's folks can.

Do they stay near, do they show and interest in him?

I'm grateful for what they buy him but it rags me that they say that they can't afford this and that yet can afford an expensive TV!! I think that's more my issue. Similarly kids that I teach whose parents can't afford to get them a polo shirt for school yet can afford Sky TV, for example.

I understand what your saying because my OH's parents are the same, they are pretty well off though, have good jobs and no mortgage to pay where as my parents are in alot of debt have their rent etc but if Harry ever needs anything the always insist on buying it, for christmas and birthdays they buy him presents and always put a lil bit of money in his bank account yet OH's parents buy him naff all, he always gets second hand stuff from them. I suppose its not about the money or presents I just get upset thinking how my Son is going to feel when he gets older and knows they never really bother you know. I probably sound really selfish but I dont care, its really had writing down exactly how people are without showing people yourself.

I think at the end of the day the grandparents spend whatever they want cause they spent their money on us as their children, so its now our turn to spend our money on our children.

To be totally truthful I don't think you should expect them to buy him anything, please dont take this the wrong way or anything. You and your OH decided to have a baby, not them, they dont have any financial obligation to your baby. The fact they've bought him some stuff is great and shows they care. As for them buying a £400 TV, to be fair to them they work for their money, if they decide to buy themselves a treat dont begrudge them that.

You can't really compare families cos each one does it their own way.

Now if it was time they were spending with your baby that was bothering you then thats a dif story.

My OH parents don't buy JT that much TBH and until I seen this post I hadn't even considered it, but it doesn't bother me in slightest. They spend time with him when they can and I know they adore him and thats all that matters really.

I'd say to let it go as long as they spoil him with love

:hug: :hug:

my parents have never seen Jam so he only has OHs parents (and thats the way I want it) - but the amount of stuff they buy him makes it look like he has about 4 sets of grandparents lol!!

i think its a shame that ur OHs parents lie about their money, i wouldnt expect much off them from now on, that way ur not disappointed when they dont buy him anythin :think:

Ahhh :hug: I understand, my MIL has got my son 7 books in his 2 years and never has come to see him, we took him to see her when he was 4 months (They live abroad but if we can go with a baby!) they don't do Christmas or birthdays because they are Witnesses. my family spoil him rotten.

I don't mind until she goes to see her other grandchild, who lives an hour away from us, and she cannot be bothered to spend half her time to see him. We kicked a fuss and she said we could go there for 2 hours! :cheer: lucky us, told her to bog off, she didn't even ask how the scan went or what we are having! Plus I struggle in the car for too long.

But I would never expect alot of toys, just want him to have a bond, my step mum is the best with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back