Isofix and underfloor storage

KateK

Reaction score
Hi guys,

We have the Cybex Aton isofix base which uses a support leg. We have a Renault Scenic which is one of the family cars that some genius put useless storage boxes into meaning you can't use child seats with support legs..

Anywho, I emailed Renault to confirm their stance on filling the storage with polystyrene as i'd seen suggested by a few other companies and they have said that their latest advice is that you CAN use the support leg on the storage box lid and that Britax and Maxi Cosi had confirmed this with them. I'm confused - I thought it was a big no no and now apparently it's fine?

Does anyone have any up to date advice on this? Driving me nuts.. Baby will be with me in the front at this rate and parter will be demoted to the back!!

We had a scenic and had the support leg on the lid if the boxes. Our new car has the same storage under the floor and we plan to do the same. We often had my son in the middle on the scenic for longer journeys as it was easier to keep an eye on him with a mirror attached to the window when he was in the middle and there were no boxes there either

We have a different car and seat, but I wouldn't want to rest the leg on top of the lid. In order to get ours signed off by the fitter we had to take the insert and padding out of our storage box so that the leg is on a fully solid base. Any give in the surface means less support in the event of an accident and the lid could easily crumple under pressure.

Last edited:
I figured if it could stand the weight of a 17stone man standing on it it can't be that easy to crumple....

Last edited:
It probably can withstand quite a lot, but a high speed impact would put incredible force down the support leg and if the lid gives way the seat will twist. If Renault say it is safe though then I would hope this is based on tests, but I would've expected this to be published somewhere as it would surely be a selling point. Might be worth contacting the seat manufacturer to confirm?

Thanks ladies.. it does seem to be a bit of a minefield.. Yes perhaps I should email Cybex too to cover all bases.. I didn't even know about this issue when I bought the seat - it should be something that's bought up by the staff selling the seats!

Hiya. I have the maxi cosi pebble with easy fix base and when I was watching videos on you tube of how to install they clearly said do not use the base in cars with underfloor storage so I would definitely get this double checked with the manufacturer. Some even say to remove mats to avoid the leg from slipping so if that's the case I would have thought underfloor storage is a big no no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back