Isaac's temp is 38.9- replies greatly appreciated

Redshoes

Reaction score
Like it says, Isaac's temp is 38.9, what should I do :|
His head is red hot, he's just had 6oz of formula and had 7oz at 5.30am, is he OK as long as he's drinking? He's alert and quite happy, bit grumpy, which is to be expected poor little man :( Is it teething? A cold?

Any advice greatly appreciated :hug:

have you given him any calpol?
keep him cool and keep eye on his temp.
shelby had a high temp when she was a baby, got doc out in middle of bath and he put her straight in a tepid bath and gradually added cold water to get her temp down
high temp is really dangerous as they can start to fit etc

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/ar ... cleId=1633

just found this link for you from nhs direct which says anything over 38 is classed as high
hope this helps

How is he now babes?

I would try removing some of his clothes, a look warm bath, calpol and plenty of fluids.

If no change call NHS 24 for advice and get him checked out.

Let us know how he is getting on. xxx

I would call NHS direct. And try to keep him cool. Like remove clothes. Poor little thing. It is very good if he is eating. :hug: Hope he will get better soon :hug:

tbh a temp can mean anything... without any other symptoms it's impossible to say what it is...

Although last time Tia had a temp and was just grumpy, she erupted into blisters a few days later as it turned out to be Chicken Pox.

Make sure he drinks plenty of fluids, offer more water as well... formula doesn't have the hydrating qualities of water... also stock up on some daralyte (oral hydrations solution from the chemist) just in case.

With any temp, give them calpol and test the temp again in 30 mins. If it has come down and there are no other problems, keep an eye on the temp. If it lasts more than 48 hours with no other symptoms, take him to the doctor. If other symptoms start, vomiting, diarrhoea etc.. thats when you need to take him to the hospital as little ones will dehydrate exceptionally fast.

If his temp cannot be controlled by calpol (either they throw it back up or the temp just doesn't go down) then you need to strip him off and give him a cool bath.. (he'll hate you for it) but its the best thing. IF the temp goes beyond 40.5º take him directly to the hospital. They will give him a drip to bring down the temp and prevent febrile convulsions.

I hope he is ok... its always scary when our little ones are ill.. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

they only give dyoralite to babies over 1 year now

suzy100 said:

Really ??? Ooo thats changed... I remember giving it to Tia at 9 months (told by the GP) and my packet says 6 months (Tia was sick recently)... :think: but it is a Spanish equivalent..

Ok scrap the dyroalite idea then, just give water :) but if he's throwing up and can't keep the water down, he would need to go to the hospital anyway.

Thankyou for the replies ladies :hug: :hug: :hug:
I went back to bed with him for a sleep, then when we got up his temp had risen to 39.4 and he was ooooooooo hot :shock: OH phoned NHS Direct and we spoke to a nurse who basically told us to keep him stripped and cool, check for hernia's around his thighs etc and that he had wet nappies and wasn't constipated or losing any blood either, which he wasn't. I gave him some Nurofen, then took his temp 30mins later after him also taking 6oz of a bottle, and he was down to 38.1, BIG relief!! He was wriggling around, chatting and laughing :D Was very scary him feeling so hot, but he appears to be on the mend now and has just had 6oz again and gone to lay down in his cot, so fingers crossed he'll be all better by tomz.
Thankyou again for replying :hug: :hug: :hug:

glad hes a little better, he still quite warm though.
check his temp through the night and dont over wrap him. better he cold than any hotter.
a bit of a cold wont harm him but over heating him will.
keep us informed

Squiglet said:
suzy100 said:

Really ??? Ooo thats changed... I remember giving it to Tia at 9 months (told by the GP) and my packet says 6 months (Tia was sick recently)... :think: but it is a Spanish equivalent..

Ok scrap the dyroalite idea then, just give water :) but if he's throwing up and can't keep the water down, he would need to go to the hospital anyway.

My doc told me to give Jake Dyoralite at 4 months

My boy was prescribed Dirolyte and he was 6 months old.

if a gp recomends or prescribes it its ok, if you get it from chemist, it says not recommended for babies under 1 year old.
sorry if i started a debate here.......was only trying to help

Thanks again :hug: :hug: :hug: He's just gone to bed at 36.4 suzy100, so he's definitely better than he was, yes 38.1 is high, but lot less than the 39.4 is what I meant :doh: He also managed to eat some puree'd fruit too, and play with Daddy :)

suzy100 you've just highlighted how the difference of information and treatment can be very confusing for Mummy's, it just shows how difficult it can be when finding a treatment, but it all helps inform us, so thankyou for bringing it up I say :hug: :hug: :hug:

so glad he's feeling better............its so worrying when our lil uns are ill :hug: :hug:

Hope Isaac is on the mend now - poor little chap.
One tip for keeping temp down is to alternate between Calpol and Ibuprofen. That seems to work.
xxxx :hug: :hug: :hug:

glad he is improving..hope he keeps recovering

sorry amy only just seen this- glad his temp is down hope it stays that way :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back