Is this normal??

weestar21

Reaction score
Hi all ok my wee one is 3 days old and my boobies are like bricks and very painfull i thought that was normal but is it normal for them to be lumpy so soon, im not breast feeding as i couldnt get colby to latch on so were bottle feeding :( any help or advice on what to do just to ease the pain and get the lumps to go

thanx

Jean

xxxxxxxxx

sounds like engorgement to me hun. cabbage leaves in bra are meant to be good, put in fridge first. What i do is use lots of heat. My favourite is hot shower over boobs, a hot bath or a hot water bottle. sorry to hear you couldn't breast feed. hope you are ok xxxx

Sounds like your milk has come in i found that ewan wouldn't latch on very well in the first few days - but then i started using nipple shields and it helped him to latch on.
Speak to a MV or a breast feeding councillor if there is one in your area they might be able to help advise you. it doesn't sound like you've been given any good support if they are advising you to stop after only 3 days.

It is around 3 days when your milk comes in to full flow.

weestar21 said:
im not breast feeding as i couldnt get colby to latch on so were bottle feeding :(

Hiya, when we spoke on msn I didn't realise you wanted to breastfeed at first. It's not too late to start if you still want to, I counselled my friend who couldn't breastfeed for over a week and she managed to get her son on in the end: she was chuffed to bits :)

If you've made your mind up, go for bottle, but if you'd like to give breast another go give me a shout :)

ok i may be stupid but i thought after you started them on bottles you couldnt go to breast? Last night she did latch on she was crying all night and sucking her fists and just wouldnt settle so i tried her on the breast and she was sucking for about 5 mins just but after it all she done all night till 5 thismorning was be sick is this because ive mixed her up with formula and breast milk or am i just panacing over nothing, and is it possible to breast and bottle feed or will that just hurt her tummy?

i honestly feel like a first time mum sorry...lol

Hi, I breast and bottle feed jack, I have done since early on as I dont produce enough milk!

Im sure her tummy will be fine and its good she is taking a bottle as well as the breast!

Go with the flow and try not to worry too much or it will restrict your supply!

Yeah it's great news you are managing to breastfeed a little. Don't worry they are all a little bit sick now and then...some babies are sick all the time no matter what milk they have.
Don't give up on the breast! you'll feel better for it.

Hi Jean

Doh - just saw this post!

I also couldn't latch Olivia on when my milk came in and like you my boobs were rock hard and painful. I was advised to get in the bath and express some milk (as soon as I laid in a hot bath and started to gently squeeze my boobs the milk poured out and it was such a relief). WHen my boobs weren't so full I could then latch Olivia on (although it took me lots of attempts to get her latched on properly without it being painful).

We've given Olivia some formula and although I think it gives her a lot of wind it's fine to mix feed but if you want to just bf that's fine as well and your milk supply wont have been affected so early.

Let me know if you need anything (I'm still a bf novice but always here to help if I can). Did you give birth at Wishaw General? I didn't find the MW were very helpful regarding the BF.

Lucy

hi hun yeah it was wishaw general ward 22 :x and i must say ward 24 the high risk ward was much better i dunno if you read my birth story but just the hassle of them fucking about trying to get the after birth was making me panic i was so worried i couldnt have skin to skin with Colby wich was one of the things i really wanted as i didnt get the chance with Adele.

All the staff werent very nice and i was having probs getting colby to feed and one midwife said to me at 3am put her to sleep youve been up all night but i hadnt i had just managed to get her to take 20 mills and i was putting her in bed so obviously everytime she walked past she has saw me up silly old woman...lol

anyways thankyou all for all the advice its been helpfull but im just not coping at all with it as Colby thinks day is night and wont sleep past 1 am so its now 5.24 and shes still wide awake shes been like this for the past 3 nights now and i hope it changes soon as having a 3 yr old and only having about 6 hrs sleep since sunday when i got induced isnt easy im feeling the strain so bad, the other half has been great hes trying his best but hes totally run done too and he goes back to work on monday so im hoping Colby will sleep a wee bit better at night or one of us will be sleeoing on the sofa....lol

sorry im rambling on im prob not made any sence but take care all and will speak soon

thanx again

xxxxxxxxx

Hi Jean

I also didn't get skin to skin when I was on ward 24 - it was about 3 hours after the birth that we got to hold Olivia - I hated the last midwife we had and even feel like complaining to be honest.

I think a lot of babies get confused between day and night but she'll soon sort herself out - how often is she having food?

Hope you're having a nice day today,

Lucy x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back