is this a phase toddler 22 months sleeping problems

bowmanzoo

Reaction score
Hi

Seriously need advice as seem to be having problems with my daughter. She's always been a brilliant sleeper going down at 7pm and then waking when I wake her in the mornings or 10am the latest if I leave her however the last 2 weeks shes been a pain in the butt and its just getting worse not better. It started with her not going to sleep by herself very well and thats continued but now shes waking up in the middle of the night and not resettling. She's awake now as I write this and yes it would be very easy to go into her and comfort her but that will only make matters worse so I'm currently trying the controlled crying stuff and hoping she'll go to sleep again soon. Last night she woke about now and didnt settle until 6am. She's 22 months old and like I say up until now there's not been any issues with her but now she's proving to be a nightmare.

I wish I could help, it is hard when they cry, I do hope she settles back down again soon, very best wishes bowmanzoo :hug: :hug: :hug:

wow! we have EXACTLY the same problem with my son - 22 months. he has always slept really well - 6pm till 8/9am or when we wake him - straight down in the dark with no fuss. The last week - put him down - sreaming for hours, waking in the night and screaming and then waking up at 5ish and screaming - arghh!!! and i'm expecting baby 2 next week! we have started to try a night light in his room which appears to be helping slightly - although still not great, and tried saying - why not look at your books in the light rather than telling him it is sleep time. I did read something that suggested that toddlers may be cutting back on their sleep round about this age - and need less - so should be put to bed a bit later rather than fighting to get them to sleep.... anyway, this evening he finally fell asleep at 8.45..... hugs to you and good luck tomorrow xx

Right- yeah! Us too! I posted in the General discussion area about this last week as exactly the same thing has happened. The fireworks triggered it I think BUT everyone I've asked says "Is he nearly 2?" so I think it's a common phase. We had done crying it out from 9 months and it has always worked really quickly with a max of 10 mins crying and about two nights having to do it (after illness etc when we obviously do go in we wait until he's well then have to reset him if you see what I mean) This time we had no joy with the crying it out at all. He cried on and off for 2 hours on Tuesday night and I ended up in tears too. So, it felt wrong but I tried another approach last night and it worked! I put him in bed with the light on and told him I was going to the loo and would be back. Then I told him that the light was going off and it was sleep time but that I was sitting at the top of the stairs and would check him in 10 mins so I turned off the light but left the door open. Went in after 10 mins and thought he was asleep but then he sat up and said "10 minutes"! So I told him that it was sleep time and that I would see him in the morning and that I was going downstairs. Closed the door a bit more and... bingo! My OH gets up at 5am for work and he did wail then but I went straight in and said "Daddy uis just going to work but it's still night time. Go back to sleep and I'll see you in the morning, I'm in my bed next door" and blow me down he did! I didn't think it would work and have probably just jinxed myself for tonight but it's worth a go!

Good luck! Let me know how you do and if you have other good methods.
+++

well having tried the crying down routine - and failing, we started to bring sam downstairs to calm him down and then start again - no luck! monday - friday screaming every night and only finally falling asleep round about 9ish, and then often in the night and early mornings... BUT last night - straight into bed at 7, with a brief complaint and then slept all night hooray!!! this is with the new system - low wattage nightlight in corner of room, and radio 3 playing quietly! we are also telling him that he can sit and read his books or listen to the music, and that we'll be back to see him later - seems to be better than trying to tell him to sleep or lie down. also my OH took him for a long walk with the dog - so maybe more fresh air tired him out! hopefully a good nigh tonight too!
It is incredibly reassuring thought to know that we are not the only people with this!!! especially as he used to sleep so well.Good luck everyone and hopefully sweet dreams tonight!

Our method is still working- hooray! Only thing is that he's waking earlier :(. 6.15 generally where it used to be 7-8am. Bah! Am trying to encourage him to amuse himself with toys and books for a bit but we'll see. It doesn't seem to relate to how long he sleeps at lunch time or night either...? Still! 7pm-6am is pretty good and I'm not complaining!

How is it going with you all?
+++

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back