is it harmful?

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by (*)FebBaby(*), Jan 15, 2008.

  1. (*)FebBaby(*)

    (*)FebBaby(*) Active Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2007
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0
    Me and my OH are living in temp. accomodation from the council just now coz our roof collapsed in our old house so we were made homeless. But now with the really bad weather the walls are so damp and mouldy :x I'm getting really worried about putting our baby in a room with mould all over the walls....will it be of serious harm to her?
     
  2. Squiglet

    Squiglet Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 29, 2007
    Messages:
    8,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well it won't be healthy for the baby no... :( As for doing serious harm.. I couldn't say.... Living in damp and mouldy conditions are not good for anyone, especially the elderly and new borns.

    You need to try and dry the room out and wash down the walls with bleach and paint over them to stop the damp. We had damp in the nursery and thats what we had to do in the end.

    :hug: :hug: :hug:
     
  3. moomoo192

    moomoo192 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Messages:
    1,172
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'd have a talk with your midwife, if needs be let her see it. If she thinks its too bad for a baby a letter from her to the council might get you moved somewhere else in better condition or for the council to do something about it.

    If you hae to stay there and clean it up, detox mould and mildew remover is gr8 for the black mould, i used it on my bathroom ceiling, came up like new and stayed clear for months. Its in a green bottle but very strong smelling so either get OH to do it or well ventilate room. I just sprayed it on and left it but bear in mind if it runs down the walls it'll leave bleach like streaks where its 'cleaned' it.

    hope you get something sorted.
     
  4. DebbieM

    DebbieM Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2007
    Messages:
    6,195
    Likes Received:
    0
    You can get some special stuff to get rid of the mould and then get special paint for painting over it to keep it away.

    Don't YOU do it though, especially not without a mask as it CAN be harmful!

    Get onto the council too. It's actually up to them to sort it out for you and you should be priority since you are having a baby.
     
  5. girlygirl

    girlygirl Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2007
    Messages:
    555
    Likes Received:
    0
    ah, how terrible. god thats the last thing you want with a baby on its way. Yeah try and get moved, mould will do no good to baby or you. :hug:
     
  6. Babylicious

    Babylicious Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2007
    Messages:
    12,973
    Likes Received:
    0
    Call them out, enviromental health you shouldn't have to deal with it at all :hug:
     
  7. flowergirl

    flowergirl Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    Messages:
    858
    Likes Received:
    0
    I don't blame you for being worried- mould and damp conditions are not good for adults so are certainly not good for babies! I'd get the letter from your midwife as moomoo192 advised and basically kickup a stink with the council! At the very least they could come in an paint the place with anti-mould stuff!
     
  8. soverign

    soverign Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    Messages:
    778
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sorry to barge in on this thread like this! I have exactly the same problem with my council flat. I live in a block of flats and the whole building is covered in mould. You can even see it on the outside walls when you walk past.
    When you walk in the main door to the building the smell of damp and dirty hits you straight away.

    I have an awful lot of mould in the bedroom and like you was wondering if it was safe or not.

    Hopefully we will be re homed when baby is 6 months old as we only have a one bed flat.

    I wasn't going to mention it to the council because I think with the severity of the problem I would have to move out for them to treat it.

    Its just one less thing I need right now!!
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice