Is baby lotion really that bad?

Jolly81

Reaction score
Ok please don't all shout at me at once, but I just used johnsons baby lotion on Freddie for the first time and he's now nearly 8 weeks old. I've heard so much bad press about it but I really didn't want to put sticky stinky olive oil over him after his bath so I used the lotion.

It smelt soooo good and rubbed in really easily!! Is it really that bad for them? I feel like a bad mother for using it!!!!

I don't know but I have used it all through my pregnancy on me and people have been using it for years so I reckon it can't be that bad!!! Xxx

I use it every night on both boys after their bath. Each to their own i say! x

As I understand it, there were some issues with a chemical in some American lines. I believe the UK version was deemed okay.

I used it on Cay from two weeks. Bath with JJ bedtime baby bath, massage with JJ bedtime baby lotion, and a sprinkle of JJ bedtime baby powder in his night-nappy, PJs and bed.

He's had no issues, no nappy rash, no nothing. Xx

It's not bad hun!! If it were it wouldn't be on the shelves, the only bad thing i think is that johnsons is tested on animals or at least it use to be, not sure if it still is?

Any way the lotion is fine for every day use however if it's to help treat dry skin then olive oil really is the best. The olive oil penetrates all layers of skin and so treats and clears the dry skin up in days. Were as the lotion only goes so many layers deep and will take twice as long to get rid of the dry skin. My LO had dry skin and 3 days of using the olive oil and it went! The main reason for me using the oil was because he had dry skin on his hands, olive oil won't harm if its digested (LO is a hand sucker) i didn't fancy the idea of him sucking lotion of his hands lol

So it really depends on why your using it :-D Don't feel like a bad mama, your not :shakehead:

x x x

I think any commercial product containing the acids, parabans and cones etc., that baby lotion does is is *bad* I don't really understand why people want to coat themselves in chemicals.

Coconut oil is a good alternative to olive oil.

Last edited:
each to their own, but i **try** and stay as chemical free as possible. but my wee one has sensitive skin so i wouldn't let her near it!

I love coconut oil! DS1 has eczema so i am not going anywhere stuff off the shelves

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I use coconut oil for everything and on everyone in the house!

Its no good for my girls skin. Almost gives her a mild chemical burn. The oil is much worse. Each to their own id say. If its ok for your baby then its up to you if you use it.
Xc
tapatalking

I am Sri Lankan and we use coconut oil for everything! I personally don't use parabens on C so I stick to Miamoo shampoo and coconut oil as moisturiser x

I use coconut oil also & a tub lasts FOREVER. It smells yummy too. :) My son has sensitive skin so I couldn't use all the products I was bought for my baby shower. I was looking forward to him smelling of that familiar Johnson's smell but it wasn't to be! :) O had dry skin on his hands & feet when he was born. I was fed up with olive oil staining everything (may just have been the brand I was using) so I bought a big tub of coconut oil & it did the job, no more stained clothes either. To each their own though.

It's the same as anything really, what suits one person's skin doesn't suit another. My HV says not to use. I tend not to put anything on my LO unless his skin has dry patches.

Coconut oil (like olive oil) is so slippery - it smells so much nicer though. We tried near enough everything for dry skin but I never actually thought of baby lotion, I don't like the smell of it...

James has Eczema so we use medical cream on him. Prescribed by Dr but similar to Oilatum (oddly he had a reaction to Oilatum but the one from the Dr's is fine!)

xxxxxx

Last edited:
I use olive oil as the midwife always went. On about how bad other notions are etc ad a newborn's skin is super absorbent. I use wet wipes when on the road though, which is the same sort of chemical I suppose.
Sorry to butt in, but where can you buy coconut oil from?

I got mine on eBay but I've heard of people getting it in waitrose etc.

I use the waitrose one - its just goregous!! I could sniff it all day. Sometimes I melt a whole wodge and put it in my hair before washing it.

I got mine at h&b when they had a sale on

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Hmmm, I might try coconut oil on Alex.

We used baby shampoo once when he was quite little, but he instantly reacted to it so we've not used anything since, as GP said not to because of his eczema. He sometimes has oilatum (prescribed) in his bath, but no bubbles ( :( ), no shampoo, no baby oil afterwards etc.

I'm not really sure why babies need anything in their bath to be honest, we wash Alex with just water and he doesn't smell or anything?! I guess as he gets bigger he'll need some kind of shampoo, so we'll have to try and find one that he doesn't react to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back