Is anyone else considering a homebirth?

luratraloora

Reaction score
I am thinking about it.. and wanted to know what others think?

I would love a homebirth. Wanted one first time but hubby was nervous, so we agreed that I'd have one with the second baby. But due to complications with first I'm not allowed a homebirth now.

I did manage to stay at home till 8cm though. Labouring at home was lovely really, but tens wasn't enough. I had a water birth at hospital.

Are you thinking of having a birth pool at home? I can't recommend a water birth enough. It was amazing for pain relief.

I think the biggest thing about first time homebirths is to have in mind that something like 40% do end up having to go into hospital. So not to be disappointed if that did happen.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

Yes I am seriously considering home hypnobirthing

Midwife says I'm perfectly healthy and she wouldn't have any concerns if preg went well etc

HOWEVER

I am thinking hospital water birth just incase of any complications - no delay in treatment then - something I want to research post 12 week scan x

Hi there thank for the reply and info.

Yes I definitely would want a water birth (my OH laughed at first) as I want as a natural birth as possible. I just like the idea of being at home in my own environment. I can imagine its so much more relaxing.

I'm personally not as I want to ensure I have all the medical assistance I need on hand if something doesn't go to plan. What I think is important is that you have it in your mind that on the day, things don't always go the way you wanted them to and you may have to change your plan. I wanted a water birth for my first but on the days waters broke, I found out my baby was breech and all that went straight out of the window. If you do still want to go ahead, I'd make sure you have all the relevant contact details you require just in case. Good luck. xxx

You dont usually home birth without a Midwife and a student midwife there so your not alone and they have the equipment they need. If medical assistance is urgently needed an ambulance is called out. Home births as long as your healthy and no problems with pregnancy are just as safe as hospital births. :)

(Im studying to be a Midwife) :)

I am seriously thinking about it. Iv moved since having my last child and do t like the idea of the way the hospital does the labour ward then move to another after and that once baby is born dh can only come in visiting hours. My last hospital was a mw unit I had ensuite room start till I left and dh never left my side, I'm also afraid I won't make it in time as my last labour was fairly quick. I never got a water birth because the pool wasn't full enough in time even tho it was running when I arrived.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

You dont usually home birth without a Midwife and a student midwife there so your not alone and they have the equipment they need. If medical assistance is urgently needed an ambulance is called out. Home births as long as your healthy and no problems with pregnancy are just as safe as hospital births. :)

I don't doubt what you're saying and it's your personal choice. However if I need an emergency cesarean, I'd rather be at the hospital. My sister in law was born at home and due to complications at birth, she has learning disabilities. I appreciate that was over 40 years ago but I'm not prepared to take that risk. xxx

I had a wonderful home water birth (as a first time mum).

Home births for first time mums are becoming more common and the maternity services are actually trying to promote them in a lot of areas. As you've already mentioned, the recent Birthplace study found that there was very little difference in the risk rates for hospital, birthing centre or homebirth.

As a trainee midwife I'm sure you know all the info, but just in case the Homebirth site is a great resource. At least round here, there are a number of homebirth or birthchoice groups, where you can go during pregnancy to talk to people and help you consider your choice.

In this area, they run something which I think is excellent called the domino scheme. I don't know if it's specific to our area. This is where a midwife comes to you at home, when you are in labour, assesses you and only then do you make the decision whether you want to homebirth, or go to the birthing centre or hospital. If you decide to go to hospital or the birthing centre, the midwife will advise in when to go and ring ahead for you so they are expecting you.

I actually had a homebirth because when I researched it, I found that there is nothing they could do for me at the local birthing centre, vs being at home. And the transfer time in an emergency was half the time from my house vs the BC.

Midwives can provide gas and air and if needed injectable drugs (which ones vary from area to area, but for eg pethidine) at home. They can do an episiotomy and stitches if needed (but the rates for these are lower with homebirth).

The intervention rates for homebirths are much lower. Obviously that's partly skewed by the fact that most homebirths are low risk (and most interventions require a transfer) and there's a higher proportion of second time mums, but it's also partly because people are more patient. I had a 3 hour pushing stage and it's unlikely that would have been tolerated in hospital. They would have been itching to intervene.

Last edited:
^ amen!

I don't like how hospitals rush births along! I follow an Independent midwife of 25 years on Facebook! Who promotes home births amongst other stuff! Very inspiring and great success stories :)

I had a wonderful home water birth (as a first time mum).

Home births for first time mums are becoming more common and the maternity services are actually trying to promote them in a lot of areas. As you've already mentioned, the recent Birthplace study found that there was very little difference in the risk rates for hospital, birthing centre or homebirth.

As a trainee midwife I'm sure you know all the info, but just in case the Homebirth site is a great resource. At least round here, there are a number of homebirth or birthchoice groups, where you can go during pregnancy to talk to people and help you consider your choice.

In this area, they run something which I think is excellent called the domino scheme. I don't know if it's specific to our area. This is where a midwife comes to you at home, when you are in labour, assesses you and only then do you make the decision whether you want to homebirth, or go to the birthing centre or hospital. If you decide to go to hospital or the birthing centre, the midwife will advise in when to go and ring ahead for you so they are expecting you.

I actually had a homebirth because when I researched it, I found that there is nothing they could do for me at the local birthing centre, vs being at home. And the transfer time in an emergency was half the time from my house vs the BC.

Midwives can provide gas and air and if needed injectable drugs (which ones vary from area to area, but for eg pethidine) at home. They can do an episiotomy and stitches if needed (but the rates for these are lower with homebirth).

The intervention rates for homebirths are much lower. Obviously that's partly skewed by the fact that most homebirths are low risk (and most interventions require a transfer) and there's a higher proportion of second time mums, but it's also partly because people are more patient. I had a 3 hour pushing stage and it's unlikely that would have been tolerated in hospital. They would have been itching to intervene.

Thats great to hear! Could you tell me about the process how you go about arranging it? Did you have a pool too?

It was very simple to arrange. I didn't make the final decision to have a homebirth until a few days before my due date. I just discussed it with the midwife and they loaded a pool into my car. I didn't have to pay anything until we used it then they charged us £40 for cleaning and the liner. They took a few details about my house, directions and gave me a box of emergency kit (not essential as all community midwives carry or have quick access to this).

But none of this is necessary. In the UK you have the choice of where you want to birth. Nobody can tell you "you can't have a home birth". So you can decide the moment you go into labour that you're comfortable at home and you want to stay there. Of course it's best to discuss it with the midwives beforehand, but there are no complicated arrangements needed.

The key for me was meeting a midwife I trusted and seeing her regularly. This wasn't my local surgery midwife, she filled in once and I liked her a lot. She was a community midwife based at the local birthing centre and she explained I was welcome to go up there for my antenatal. From then on I made all my appointments directly with her and travelled to her. I don't know if this is possible for everyone, or if I just found a gem, but I have my suspicions that it's a matter of knowing how to work the system. This meant I got continuity of care, something I wouldn't have got at my surgery because I know from the local mummies that the midwife changed twice more after I went there. The birthing centre midwives were also experienced at attending home births, whereas the surgery ones were supplied by the hospital team, which meant that they were much more in favour.

The first midwife I saw was a hospital one. At my booking appointment she asked me which hospital (there are 3 locally) I would like to give birth in. I said I was considering a home birth. She said, oh we don't do those for first time mums". It wasn't until a lot later that I realised that this was not the policy at all. In fact I recently had the chance to discuss with the local director of midwives about how to promote home births and told her this story. She was very disappointed and took details so that she could ensure further education was provided to the team involved.

If you are keen on the idea of a homebirth I would seek out your local community midwifery team and discuss it with them, rather than whoever is allocated to you by the system. I didn't need a referral, but if you did that would probably be easy to arrange and they would tell you.

Last edited:
I had a home birth with my DD who is now nearly 14 months old and will plan a home birth for no.2.

Like Little Angel I couldn't recommend it more. I had a pool that I had to buy, but it was lovely. I didn't give birth in it, but beside it in the end. I had no drugs, no gas and air, so it was all totally natural. My OH was great and the midwives were all so supportive of it, even though we live in the countryside. I pushed for two hours, which again might have made hospital midwives a bit anxious, but was allowed to do it in my own time.

I didn't decide firmly on it until I was around 38 weeks and it will always remain flexible. If, on the day, you decide that the pain is too much, then you can always go to the hospital or birthing centre.

I'd say if you're healthy, with a low risk pregnancy, then go for it. Don't set your heart on it because you never know what will happen, but if you take a great positive attitude and plan it well, it could be the best thing you've ever done! xxx

I am having one! All arranged and have the pool ready etc. It's my first baby too. My mw says she's never had to transfer anyone into hospital yet. I think being relaxed and in your own surroundings is one of the most important factors in labour as often contractions slow down when people go into hospital. That figure of 40% transferring sounds very wrong...

If you're on fb there is a great group called homebirthers and hopefuls. They're great for advice and always wonderful birth stories to read.

It's an individual's choice but there's no added risks if you're low risk to start with, they pick up on any problems early on and transfer if necessary but chances are at home you're much less likely to need intervention anyway.

I'm getting quite excited now, as fully cooked on Friday so not long to go!! Xxx

I think if your sure its not going to be complicated then its a fab idea. My pregnancy and birth seemed uncomplicated , i was low risk, no problems at all until id been in labour a while and then ended eventually in an emergency c section and o in scbu.he wasnt breathing when he came out too. So I would never opt myself for one. I want professionals there to help me if somet unexpected happened like last time. Each to their own ;) xx

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

You can never be sure of a smooth birth

If your high risk then it makes sense to be in hospital

I live about 6 minutes from hospital by ambulance and they have 1 on standby in my area when labour progresses

I can't wait to research into everything for a home birth

We live 2 mins ambulance ride from the hospital and my mw said by the time I got there it would take that long to set up theatre anyway, if I did need an emergency c section so I'm not increasing my risk at all.
I hate the idea of being pressurised into things you doubt really want in hospital.
But it's a very INDIVIDUAL decision. And a supportive mw is very important!

X

Yep agree very ind decision. I live 2 min from our local hosp but still wouldn't opt. But honestly I hwar home birth can be amazing so its weighing up the options xx

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

Oh that's interesting, always assumed the assistance would be delayed if u were at home but guess the midwives know when to ring for help. I'd consider it def...however I worry about needing pain relief and not having options

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back